Previous   Next

What do you think will be the outcome of the Mangino investigation?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on November 19, 2009

Browse the archives

“I kind of think he’s going to be fired … . We aren’t doing well anyway, and along with this it might happen.”

“He will be disciplined in-house, but will keep his job.”

“It’s going to cause a lot of (negative) attention to our school once again for athletics … but I feel like our athletic programs continue to be strong and they’ll figure out a way to carry through.”

“I think he should definitely stay here and keep doing what he’s doing … it’s been more than productive … and it’s going to keep getting better.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 4 years, 10 months ago

If some are calling for the head of Mangino for making mistakes then it seems Lew Perkins must go.

Lew Perkins made the biggest mistake.... he hired Mangino.

Think how much the KU athletics could save if both had to go. Millions upon millions.

Bring all home games back home! Lawrence needs the tax revenue and the fun. Why give it to KCMO?

jhawkjunkie 4 years, 10 months ago

Perkins didn't hire Mangino, Al Bohl did.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

i think he'll keep his job. i can't believe he's in trouble for poking one of his players.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

BO told NBC last night that Mangino will be found guilty.

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

He is probably gone. I am not saying I totally agree with it or not. I can't make up my mind. I agree with the girl above...Just something more negative about the school. They were discussing the "Baby Mama " fight on ESPN the other night. It seems like everyone wants to blow up everything out of proportion. I just don't have all the facts. I am soo surrounded by parents of athletes who think there children do no wrong and are the best this town has ever seen. They make excuses for their whiny kids and take nooo responsibility for their kids behavior or make their kids be responsible for anything. Then they sit at home and trash talk the coaches for not winning or not letting THIER kid play. This society of kids, I don't know what is going to happen to them in the work place. They better do something where they are their own boss.

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

And Autie, you know bacon-cheeseburgers(from Sonic) are my favorite.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Bacon cheeseburgers from Johnnys West are outstanding, AND you can order your favorite brew with it!

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe, if I only lived in Lawrence.

Matt Warman 4 years, 10 months ago

There will be some poking going on at my house tonight

3crookedhearts 4 years, 10 months ago

Mangino will NOT be able to recruit any serviceable players here if they keep him. It's that simple. If a kid from Liberal, KS, for instance, all things being equal, had to decide about playing for K-State and KU, that kid would be foolish to come to KU because he knows he's going to be treated like dirt and not win games. Mangino is going to be let go, and it's going to come down to recruiting.

As for a replacement, I like Clint Bowen, and I know he's a Lawrence and a KU guy, but I think he's just too young.

thomgreen 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to see them make a play for Philip Fulmer. There are some other big name coaches available out there that would help KU take the next step. Realistically, it's going to take a big name to get KU to the next level, as long as it's not Lou Holtz, he'll curse us by saying we'll be playing Florida for the National Championship next year....

shadowbox66044 4 years, 10 months ago

Have we all forgotten what the football program was like before Mangino got here? He took a dead program and breathed life back into it. If you arrogant fair weather fans who think we are supposed to be a top ranked team ever year cant remember, or don't care to remember, the years before Mangino was here, then you are doomed to repeat it. Firing Mangino would be one of the University's BIGGEST mistakes!

BigDog 4 years, 10 months ago

Clint Bowen for head coach?? and that would take KU to the next level?? He might be a good guy and love KU but he hasn't even proven he is a decent defensive coordinator.

Kevin Randell 4 years, 10 months ago

Bottom line..... good coaches don't go on a 4-5 game losing streaks 7 out of nine years. This one does.....

This means either he can not control his players, or his is to prideful to fix what is broken. Either way it is time for a change.....

yankeevet 4 years, 10 months ago

I think that coach is history..................

gsxr600 4 years, 10 months ago

"he should definitely stay here and keep doing what he’s doing … it’s been more than productive … and it’s going to keep getting better"

Is there any stats to back that up? I think we've had one winning Big XII season with him (the year we didn't play oklahoma, ttech, or texas..hmmm). A guy getting paid $2.3million a year+ doesn't add up

Crossfire 4 years, 10 months ago

1 NCIS head-slap and get on with life.

babyjontheway 4 years, 10 months ago

I do remember what it was like before he became our coach and I don't want to go back to that. He brought KU football out of the ashes and into the spotlight we have a brand new stadium because he took us to the orange bowl and brought our city that great victory. I think if you enter into college sports not ready to do the work like most of these pansies you deserve it. I know someone who works for him and they say he's really nice to his staff as long as they work hard. These guys go out and party a lot and he has to put up with their sorry excuses for why they don't perform top notch, then they get a lil too much meat in their heads and decide lets pick on the basketball team too. These boys need a lil pushing physically and verbally or we will end up with the powder puff football team we had before and we can all go back to never hearing about jayhawk football again. If you forgot football brought revenue back to lawrence and now we have the money because we are good enough. So what if we don't win every game, without him we would lose every game because he keeps those boys in line and they don't like it because they want to be free and keep their athletic scholarships. Shut up you wimps and become men.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 10 months ago

if its anything like the Yellow house investigation it will go on forever......

ahh lawrence

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

After what I've read I believe he's gone. Shame.

XEPCT 4 years, 10 months ago

Wrong cheeseburger, Big Lew has nothing to worry about.

parrothead8 4 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says… Skip Holtz, Randy Edsall, that should be our line of thinking.

I've been thinking one of those two also, TOB. Lew Perkins worked with both of them at UConn, so I assumed he knew them both, and both of them have shown that they can be successful in situations where they aren't getting the same level of recruits as their conference competition.

I don't think Mangino SHOULD be fired for poking someone in the chest, or for yelling at players, or even for being somewhat verbally abusive on the sidelines. However, I think he WILL be fired.

I don't think Lew Perkins is in any danger. He's done exactly what he was hired to do. End of story.