Previous   Next

What do you think will happen on Dec. 21, 2012?

Asked at South Wind 12 Theaters, 3433 Iowa on November 15, 2009

Browse the archives

“I don’t know because nobody can predict the future.”

“I think it’s going to be four days before Christmas.”

“I don’t think the poles are going to shift. … I think it’s going to be a normal day.”

“I think the poles are going to shift, but a little bit later … like in 2042.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

High 37, low 22. Humidity 90%. 3 to 5 inches of snow, winds out of N/W @ 12/15 with gusts of 20...

Oh, and this...

M. Lindeman 5 years, 7 months ago

“I think it’s going to be four days before Christmas.”

— Cheri Taylor, medical assistant, Lawrence

rdragon writes:

Good answer

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

A cow will give birth to an insurance salesman.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 7 months ago

Jesus will return and say "eh, maybe not"

Which is exactly why I don't shop until Xmas eve.

BigPrune 5 years, 7 months ago

The end of the world is supposed to come "like a thief in the night."

cabella 5 years, 7 months ago

Iran will launch its nukes and destroy Isreal. We will retaliate which in turn will make Russia and China do the same. WW3 will end on Christmas 2012 with total devastation.

50YearResident 5 years, 7 months ago

Back to the subject: I think the extreme weather patterns we are starting to see now will progressively get worse and we will see more flooding, heavier snows, stronger winds and stronger earthquakes leading up to this date. The extremes will peak on December 21, 2012 and subside for the next three years after. Billions will be killed but some forms of life will survive to carry on. It will be known at the "Human era", before they became extinct.

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

Maybe a bang, maybe a whimper.

and in all likelihood, most of us will have a bowel movement.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

... and those who are constipated will have a blog comment.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

[tangedit]

… and those who are constipated will have a political blog comment.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Since that is an odd-numbered day, I'll be buying liquor instead of ammo.

classclown 5 years, 7 months ago

I honestly can't say, but the next day I'll probably have to start scrambling in a mad dash to buy everyone's Christmas presents that I previously thought I didn't need to bother with.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

With luck... snowfall.

( ... eclipsing the usual snow job. )

mickeyrat 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm really worried, so I'm starting an internet petition to make November 2012 sixty-one days long. That way we'll all be safe on November 51st, and it would be good for the economy, too: without Christmas that year, I could pay down my VISA bill a bit.

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 7 months ago

OTS will be asking people if they are surprised that all of the dire predictions about that date didn't come true?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I am going to be cruising around the world on a custom built HMS Surprise. I will be retracing the voyages in the Aubrey/Maturin books.

wysiwyg69 5 years, 7 months ago

same thing as Y2K one hell of a party!

phyreh20 5 years, 7 months ago

A confidant will be 36 years and a day older, most likely just another day.

AnonymousBosch 5 years, 7 months ago

Same stuff, different day. Sorry, guys, the Mayan calendar goes beyond that date. It's just a new excuse to whip up the uneducated masses in a frenzy about "the end of the world."

ivalueamerica 5 years, 7 months ago

Marion will be returned to the planet from which he fell

Bladerunner 5 years, 7 months ago

I will be posting a link back to this page and laughing at you all when nothing happens.

James McGuire 5 years, 7 months ago

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the sun is going to come up, most people will go to work, some will argue about whether or not republicans or democrats are better at running the country - no conclusion will be reached, the sun will go down, millions of people will eat McDonald's and others will watch some ridiculous reality tv show. In summary, it will be just another crappy day in paradise.

maxcrabb 5 years, 7 months ago

I'll be trying to contain my excitement for the next day, going around and saying "Told you so!" to every naive and misguided fool I have the pleasure of knowing.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 7 months ago

Hmmm. I really think this is pretty silly. What if the world were indeed going to end on that date? None of us could do anything about it, so why get all hysterical? I predict my hair will be even thinner at the top, and the gray will have completely taken over. My boobs will have gone even farther south, or maybe I will have won the lottery and had them replaced! I predict my acne will finally be gone. (ha!) I predict my adult child will have dumped that bum of a live-in boyfriend. (Party!) On the miraculous side, I predict Marion and Tom will become Democrats, and Ralph Reed will become a Republican. Multi will win some kind of prize for the most online comments.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

I think all of the computers will shut down because they will not be able to recognize the code for 2000. Oh wait! We already did that one.

labmonkey 5 years, 7 months ago

At 5:42 PM CST, Skynet becomes self-aware when someone in the middle of Nebraska places a Blu-Ray of the fifth Terminator movie with an imbedded virus into their internet connected computer. By 9:35 that night, 3 billion people are dead.

H_Lecter 5 years, 7 months ago

Hmmmmm, everyone assumes that they will still be alive for the next three years.

igby 5 years, 7 months ago

After reading all the pros and cons and old manuscripts and scrolls and the bible and many other writings, adding it all up and factoring in the errors of the time calculations corrected and then corrected again. Dr, Dee, the Pope in 300 AD, monks that err 5 years advanced on the birth of Christ and then there's the Mayan clock that could of been influenced by Western influence before the corrections were made even before the Spanish conquest; it's reasonable to conclude that there could be as much as a two year margin of error in the 2012's, projected date. It could in fact be 2010 or even 2015. However, the writing of all these sage's work can be overlooked and the cosmic prof of planetary positions could be closer to the truth than combing through thousands of manuscripts written in coded symbolic languages.

After all, I have concluded that it is possible that the cosmic linage could set about a collision and possibly a meteor of some strange compound striking earth and in one hour causing the deluge the sages and seers' wrote about.

So, I asked myself just what could it be, and applied my science education of learning and knowledge as to what it could be and came to this possible conclusion.

A space rock of the metal sodium, a solid and dense metal that as it enters the earths atmosphere in the upper thin air would not explode, but as it came closer to the surface of the earth it would explode with such a force that a third of all the water on earth would be consumed in the exothermic reaction. Salt would be the by product and it would cover and fill the atmosphere with salt, killing everything and everyone.

Tom McCune 5 years, 7 months ago

I think there will be fewer hours of daylight than any other day of 2012. This will prompt Glenn Beck to go on a crying jag about how much he loves sunlight and how the godless liberals are stealing his precious bodily fluids.

mr_right_wing 5 years, 7 months ago

12212012

Isn't that binary for 'wipe out the human race"?

I'm fleeing our computer-controlled society before then! So should you!

Tom McCune 5 years, 7 months ago

mr_right_wing:

There are no "2"s in binary.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 7 months ago

What do you think will happen on Dec. 21, 2012 ?

I think the owners of the Yellow house store Will still be awaiting trial

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 7 months ago

people who were born on december 21 will be celebrating their birthdays. people who were married on december 21 will be celebrating their anniversaries. and people will be shopping for christmas and hannukah. same as every december 21.

puddleglum 5 years, 7 months ago

poor Tom, nobody to bite on his troll-bait.

don't worry pal, somebody out there cares what you have to say. I'm sure of it.

acg 5 years, 7 months ago

It will be like any other day. The jworld will recycle another ots ??, merrill will cut and paste some crap, marion will still act like the world revolves around him and that's why it didn't end and still, no one will be listening to anything that racist pig tom shewmon has to say.

middleoftheroad 5 years, 7 months ago

It will be either the worst (and last) of my birthdays or my birthday party will turn into one big "Woo-hoo the world didn't end" party and I will turn 32 ;)

bevy 5 years, 7 months ago

I will be recovering from the hangover earned at my 45th birthday party the night before....

Calliope877 5 years, 7 months ago

D@mn it, people! Why must I repeat myself? On Dec. 21st, 2012, Jesus Christ will return with our alien ancestors and he will reign for 1000 years while all the evangelicals will be beamed up into spaceships to be used as snacks for the aliens while on their journey back to their home solar system somewhere in Andromeda.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 7 months ago