Previous   Next

Did you watch ‘Sesame Street’ when you were a child?

Asked at The Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Boulevard on November 10, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, it was the only thing on.”

“Yes, because my parents put it on.”

“No. I had an older brother, so I always watched ‘The Simpsons’ with my brother.”

“I did. There’s really nothing else to watch when you’re that small.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.....

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Greenjeans and Captain Kangaroo....

Romper Room...

Roy Rogers (Not Mr. Rogers) and Trigger...

And the Gillette Friday Night Fights...

beawolf 5 years, 1 month ago

Heckle & Jeckle, Tom & Jerry, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Huckleberry Hound.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

i had just turned 2 when it premiered so i can proudly say that i am first generation sesame street. love love love that show and the people behind it. what a blessing its been to so many children and families over the years.

happy birthday, sesame street!! :)

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

roe, i remember captain kangaroo as well as romper room. it pissed me off because the lady never said my name when she looked into the magic mirror.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

I continue to watch it every chance I get. I am learning Spanish now that I have my numbers and colors down fairly well.

Sometimes Mrs. Obama makes a special appearance. I wish McCain did....

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Mel, I tuned in to Sesame Street while surfing channels the other day. Most of the same people still on there! And, like me, getting wrinkled and gray!

Cool!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 1 month ago

I just wanted to point out the Related Story link that will now appear on all the On The Streets — presuming there's a related story. It was broken a long time ago and until I saw some of you requesting having it back, we hadn't gotten around to fixing it. Hope it makes your browsing experience better.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

ksmax 5 years, 1 month ago

I will be 40 next month, so Sesame Street was just start out when I was born. BUT I loved it! My children have grown up with it as well. It is very educational, and a safe alternative to what is on tv now a days! I will still watch it with my kids. Also cool to see Maria and Gordon are still on there also!

Matt Warman 5 years, 1 month ago

I was born in 1960, so when Sesame street came around I was getting a little old for it. I preferred the Muppet show. Captain Kangaroo and the falling ping pong balls,,, great stuff. I saw Bullwinkle on WGN the other day, brought back memories, good ones.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

i know, roe, bob mcgrath is still on there... i think the original susan is as well as luis and maria. of course carroll spinney still plays big bird and oscar.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

I miss Mr Hooper...

One time Big Bird called him "Mr Pooper". My daughters called him that until he died. When they announced his death, my youngest daughter, 3 at the time, climbed into Mrs Roe's lap and very sincerely said, "I will miss Mr Hooper"

Mary Darst 5 years, 1 month ago

I watched Elmo with my granddaughter. Elmo In Grouchland. She was 18-24 mo. old. We watched it 500 times. I loved it almost everytime.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Oliver J. Dragon was the king of TV in the house of snap.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

that was sad when mr. hooper died and the show dealt w/ it in a very honest manner.

i cried when jim henson died. i cried when shari lewis died. i think i cried when mr. rogers died as well as dr. suess. i'm a big frickin baby when it comes to stuff like that.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I absolutely watched Sesame Street! I also remember Electric Company, and, when I was a bit older, 3-2-1 Contact. However, my mom said that, once Sesame Street was over and Mr. Rogers came on, I would get up and walk out of the room. LOL

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Gillette Friday Night Fights…My grandmother loved that show. Remember the theme song? My daughter and granddaughter grew up with it. I still get a kick out of watching it. Cause it ukky uck and its cold outside. Well, something like that. Mukluk time.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

oh, i didn't truly enjoy the calming effects of fred rogers until i became a mother myself. ;)

another really great calming person on PBS was bob ross. he brought my kids down several notches on the hyper scale everytime i turned his show on.

oh, i forgot, he's another person whose death caused me to bawl.

hedro80 5 years, 1 month ago

Of course. I dont' think Snuffleupagus gets the attention he deserves- it's always about Elmo or Big Bird. Team Snuffleupagus!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

yes, porch!!! i did see that episode-- my boyfriend just showed me that clip a couple of years ago but i'm sure i was actually watching it back when it first aired as well.

they've had some truly great guests over the years! i want that DVD that just came out, i think its called 40 years of sunny days. i bet alot of those guest spots are included.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

i love snuffy. remember when only big bird could see him?

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I remembering watching Sesame street, Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo. Then it was Electric Company and Zoom.
My kids find it hard to believe, but I was pre-Elmo Sesame Street. My kids watched Sesame Street, and we had some of the tapes with the songs, like the Ladybug picnic, and Rubber Duckie.
One of the greatest shows ever!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

mom of three, i totally agree! sesame is sacred to me.

i loved the muppet show too but sesame street actually TAUGHT something and that was passed on to my children as well.

my son jose was my main sesame street kid. all 4 of my children watched it but he enjoyed it more than the other kids... jose's other show back when he was 2-6 years old was barney. lol hey, i stomached that schmultz because he also liked sesame street and lambchop's play along.

the electric company was cool too-- sesame street's sister show... remember how morgan freeman and rita moreno ("hey you guuuuys!") were on that program? my favorite on there was letter man and spider-man. and i liked it when they would explode a word-- you had to read it before it self destructed.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Not until fatherhood and what a deal for me. Mr Rogers was quite interesting as well. Then again so is National Geographic for kids and Ranger Rick.

gccs14r 5 years, 1 month ago

1st-gen Sesame Street watcher here, too. No kids, so I haven't watched it since probably 1971 or so.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

^^^ gc, we should start a club. mom of three can join.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Ronda, why don't you have a blog on Sesame Street guests and the songs they sang? Everyone could name their favorite. Just checked the comments and Ronda is not on here! Just surprised, that's all.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

I also watched Mr. Roger's neighborhood as a kid.

I don't remember too many other sesame street songs and who sang them, except for some reason, Bob and which thing doesn't belong.

Dixie Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

why cant we have good shows on like that now days, the day my boys were watching sponge bob and i heard him say to his friend SHUT UP i was like omg thats where our children learn these things.... i want wont you be my neighbor back on dang it ... this also brought back some wonderful memories for me.

suesay 5 years, 1 month ago

Every morning I watched Bozo the clown, a little Sesame street, and then if I remember right, I got ready to go to preschool or kindergarden. And on weekends I watched Polkadot Door. They were all on PBS, I think. Even though I was born I 1980, we had a very old tv that used the nob on the front to change the channels. I'm sure we could only get 13 channels.

suesay 5 years, 1 month ago

Never mind, I see that Bozo was on WGN-TV... Sounds familar I guess. I loved Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. I sometimes call our cat Miss Kitty and think of that show. I think my boyfriend's sister was on Romper Room. His mom showed me the tape of the show, but I can't remember if it was that kids show or something else.

suesay 5 years, 1 month ago

Nevermind again, I guess Miss Kitty wasn't on that show. It was Henrietta Pussycat. Muddled memories. But the BF has confirmed, His sister was on Romper Room.

denak 5 years, 1 month ago

was born in 1968 and I remember watching Sesame Street when I was a young girl. I even remember (albeit vaguely) going to see them in their stage show at Kemper Arena.

I don't remember my son watching it a lot when he was younger (early to middle 90's) which is a shame. But by then all things Pokemon had invaded our house.

Snuffy was definitely better than Pikachu!

Dena