Previous   Next

Do you have good penmanship?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 7, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, because I have stubby fingers.”

“Pretty average when I try.”

“Yes, I do because I went to Catholic school and the nuns beat it into me.”

“Yes, I do because I like to write and I practice quite frequently.”

Related story

Comments

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

nope because i'm left handed and the side of my hand drags across the freshly written words. cursive was never my thing-even though i also went to catholic school and was constantly harangued about my handwriting and the need to improve it.

labmonkey 5 years, 8 months ago

I have very neat writing when I print. The only thing I write in cursive is when I sign my name. I found out early on that I could print just as fast as when I write cursive and it was a 1000 x's neater.

rbwaa 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes, and I enjoyed the process of learning how to write; I got satisfaction from the daily improvement and the art of forward and backward circles, the loops and the connection between letters. I think that's where I learned how to be obsessive-compulsive ; )

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

RI, love it!
autie, Sitting here in envy of your typing skills. And,yes there is a game at 11:30 on channel 38 and KU is going to beat the heck out of Manhattan. Supper is beef tongue tacos, Ronda has the recipe on her blog. If you are driving to Manhattan, there are cows along the way if you take the back roads. A Brit asked if it was all right to crump (take) fruit from limbs overhanging the road. You could stop and ask the farmer as he wasn't using the cow?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

I should have added on her blog, that as a vegan I have no intention of eating these recipes myself.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 8 months ago

i CAN have nice penmanship if i put the effort into it but usually its quasi-sloppy.

and i agree w/ the article-- penmenship is on the downslide, seriously. i've made this comment myself recently.

another thing that is getting lost is good sentence structure, grammar, punctuation and spelling. textese is taking over and i cannot stand it!

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't write particularly good cursive, but I make up for it by writing very good kanji.

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

I always wondered why my penmanship wasn't so good. Now I know it is because I have stubby fingers.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

I can't reach the paper, my fingers are too short!

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Lately I find that when the occasion arises I have no lead in my pencil.....

schula 5 years, 8 months ago

I think I have pretty good penmanship and several of my co-workers have told me that I do.

I agree with honeychild that good grammar and sentence structure is getting lost.

Hey -- see some of you for dinner later tonight!

M. Lindeman 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes if I'am a Doctor, but I am not so I would say I am closer to chicken scratch.

Julie Craig 5 years, 8 months ago

I hated the stupid penmanship notebooks we had to do in grade school. I developed my own half cursive and half printing style. Only bad grade I ever got in grades 1-6.

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

When I started writing in cursive, the teachers told me I couldn't. By the time they wanted me to write in cursive, I'd lost interest. The penalty for not doing it wasn't sufficient to compel me to, so I never did. As an adult, I never need to use cursive.

BruceWayne 5 years, 7 months ago

question. how does Marion know that Levi is lazy?