Previous   Next

How do you react when your favorite team wins or loses?

Asked at Wayne and Larry's Sports Bar, 933 Iowa St. on November 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“You applaud when they win, hang your head when they lose.”

“If they win, I cheer up and down … if they lose, I mope around.”

“Sometimes I get very irritated if I think they should have won, and other times I think I’m lucky if they show up.”

“I try to walk away in shame before they lose … if they win, I jump up and scream and yell.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Hard to pick sides when they fight on Massachusetts street

nobody1793 5 years ago

Looting, fires, and other unmentionables...

lawrence_native_at_KU 5 years ago

I know there's an article today that relates to this On the Street because I saw the headline at one point. Since this is done often, could ljworld.com put a link to the related article at the bottom of On the Streets? That would make it just a little bit easier than going back and searching the front page. I know that's done on other articles.

Just a thought.

Mary Darst 5 years ago

I use to get so upset BEFORE a basketball game that I would make myself sick with worry. I would just be relieved if we won and upset that they lost.....I am MUCH better now. I have taken on a little more realistic look at the whole deal. Sure, I'm disappointed when we lose...But am so grateful when we win. Best day! was when the JHawks beat N. Carolina and Roy.....I would have wanted to curl up in my bedroom, if we would have lost that game. It was the BEST win EVER. I have never felt like that after any other game, ever. Now I just chill and go with the flow. (though, I do a lot of yelling and cussing during the games)

Mary Darst 5 years ago

Oh yes, I do whine a little back to Autie.

Satirical 5 years ago

I plunder...and prune....the hedges...of many small villages.

Matt Warman 5 years ago

If they lose, I go on a shooting spree on the neighborhood cats.

Brown, brown what? I must have missed something. Typical.

somedude20 5 years ago

Win: drink more Lose: poop in a bag, light it, and put it in front of your door because you cursed my team

dipweed 5 years ago

Overturn cars, random shooting, break store windows, pick fights...you know, the usual stuff. On the other hand if they lose, then I tend to get a little crazy.

ms_canada 5 years ago

Well now, my favourite team is the Rockford Ill. Icehogs whose games we watch on this computer which is in my bedroom. When they win, the neighbours get an earful and when our grandson, Rob Klinkhammer scores my husband has to hold me down. Last month while playing with the Chicago Blackhawks, the score was 3 all and just minutes before the end of third frame Rob fired one into the net and as a result got to travel to Zurich, Switzerland with the Hawks and played two games with them there. Oh, yes, the Icehogs are the farm team of the Hawks. I think the neighbours 3 doors down heard me that night.

Matt Warman 5 years ago

Thank you TOB , I am up to speed now. Great one Dipweed!

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

i used to get super bummed out but i don't anymore. i feel disappointed when they lose but i let the feeling pass w/out getting overly emotional about it.

woodenfleaeater 5 years ago

Win = Riot

Loss = Get in fight with fan from victorious team.

garyr 5 years ago

If they win, I pray that they be humble in their victory. If they lose, I pray that they be strong in overcoming defeat. God already knows the outcome of the game before the game starts, before the coin flip even.

labmonkey 5 years ago

I have become pretty apathetic to losses thanks to years of the Royals and now the total Chiefs suckitude. After the fight earlier this year, I am expecting KU to fold in both football and basketball....although it sucks working primarily with MU fans so I hate losses from KU.

ms_canada 5 years ago

Hi there pywacket - I was probably the worst sports person in the world before Rob and hockey. Knew nothing about the game, When he first started hockey he could hardly stand up let alone on skates, But he has a dad who pushed gently. We began watching his games on webcast from the time he was 15 (now 23) and in the Western Hockey League with his home town of Lethbridge, AB. then Seattle, Portland Winterhawks, Brandon Wheatkings and then Norfolk, VA Admirals of AHL and now 2nd year with Icehogs. Needless to say, I know the game pretty well by now and love it. A special thrill was last year when he played in Des Moines, Iowa, the city where his great, great grandma and his great grandpa were born. Sounds silly, but it thrilled me. And tonight they play in Abbotsford, BC where I lived for one year while in high school.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

I always stay until the end of games...and I hate when others leave early because a team is losing. That makes you a Fairweather Johnson!

If they lose, I'm a little down, but hey, there's always the next game. If they win, I usually get pretty excited.

Bill Lee 5 years ago

If it's early in the season I can take a loss or two, but once my team loses three or more games, I tend to take it as an expectation realized. When my team does well, I celebrate. If they win big, I celebrate more, and if they win a championship, I REALLY CELEBRATE. By the way, my teams are: UCLA, KU, Redskins & Royals. I love 'em all, win or lose, but I like winning better than losing.

ms_canada 5 years ago

autie - how dare you malign the wonderful game of hockey :o) hockey is a very exciting game. It moves so fast.