Previous   Next

How do you react when your favorite team wins or loses?

Asked at Wayne and Larry's Sports Bar, 933 Iowa St. on November 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“You applaud when they win, hang your head when they lose.”

“If they win, I cheer up and down … if they lose, I mope around.”

“Sometimes I get very irritated if I think they should have won, and other times I think I’m lucky if they show up.”

“I try to walk away in shame before they lose … if they win, I jump up and scream and yell.”

Related story

Comments

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

autie - how dare you malign the wonderful game of hockey :o) hockey is a very exciting game. It moves so fast.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

awwww...gary...we're so proud of you! ;)

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

If it's early in the season I can take a loss or two, but once my team loses three or more games, I tend to take it as an expectation realized. When my team does well, I celebrate. If they win big, I celebrate more, and if they win a championship, I REALLY CELEBRATE. By the way, my teams are: UCLA, KU, Redskins & Royals. I love 'em all, win or lose, but I like winning better than losing.

autie 4 years, 5 months ago

Hockey? Hockey? Py, isn't that kind of like soccer except played out in the cold so the ball is frozen and they have to hit it with sticks cause it's too hard to kick? Down here hockey is expectorated flim.

farfle 4 years, 5 months ago

When Maine voted no my team won and I regained a little hope.

Pywacket 4 years, 5 months ago

Ms Canada~ It doesn't sound silly at all! I know he must be pleased that his family supports him so proudly. I've always enjoyed hockey and played as a child. That's one thing I miss here in the "deep south" (which is what I call Kansas!!). The kids don't play hockey. :-( Even floor hockey, in the schools--we had leagues and it was a lot of fun. Not the same as on ice, but you could learn the rudiments of the game, then play neighborhood games on your skates. We had iced ponds and lakes we could play on, but the ice in KS (if there is any at all) is never reliable enough for much skating.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

I always stay until the end of games...and I hate when others leave early because a team is losing. That makes you a Fairweather Johnson!

If they lose, I'm a little down, but hey, there's always the next game. If they win, I usually get pretty excited.

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi there pywacket - I was probably the worst sports person in the world before Rob and hockey. Knew nothing about the game, When he first started hockey he could hardly stand up let alone on skates, But he has a dad who pushed gently. We began watching his games on webcast from the time he was 15 (now 23) and in the Western Hockey League with his home town of Lethbridge, AB. then Seattle, Portland Winterhawks, Brandon Wheatkings and then Norfolk, VA Admirals of AHL and now 2nd year with Icehogs. Needless to say, I know the game pretty well by now and love it. A special thrill was last year when he played in Des Moines, Iowa, the city where his great, great grandma and his great grandpa were born. Sounds silly, but it thrilled me. And tonight they play in Abbotsford, BC where I lived for one year while in high school.

labmonkey 4 years, 5 months ago

I have become pretty apathetic to losses thanks to years of the Royals and now the total Chiefs suckitude. After the fight earlier this year, I am expecting KU to fold in both football and basketball....although it sucks working primarily with MU fans so I hate losses from KU.

garyr 4 years, 5 months ago

If they win, I pray that they be humble in their victory. If they lose, I pray that they be strong in overcoming defeat. God already knows the outcome of the game before the game starts, before the coin flip even.

woodenfleaeater 4 years, 5 months ago

Win = Riot

Loss = Get in fight with fan from victorious team.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 5 months ago

i used to get super bummed out but i don't anymore. i feel disappointed when they lose but i let the feeling pass w/out getting overly emotional about it.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 5 months ago

Dipweed - Do you live in Detroit?

Matt Warman 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank you TOB , I am up to speed now. Great one Dipweed!

Pywacket 4 years, 5 months ago

dipweed~ That was great (as long as you don't live in my neighborhood!).

Ms Canada~ re my above comments: all "perspective" bets are off when one of the players is one's grandchild! That's all the perspective you need! Congrats on your talented boy. It must be so fun to follow his career.

The Blackhawks were my favorite team as I was growing up (I was about midway between Chicago & Detroit geographically) and they still rank up there pretty close to the Red Wings in my heart.

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

Well now, my favourite team is the Rockford Ill. Icehogs whose games we watch on this computer which is in my bedroom. When they win, the neighbours get an earful and when our grandson, Rob Klinkhammer scores my husband has to hold me down. Last month while playing with the Chicago Blackhawks, the score was 3 all and just minutes before the end of third frame Rob fired one into the net and as a result got to travel to Zurich, Switzerland with the Hawks and played two games with them there. Oh, yes, the Icehogs are the farm team of the Hawks. I think the neighbours 3 doors down heard me that night.

dipweed 4 years, 5 months ago

Overturn cars, random shooting, break store windows, pick fights...you know, the usual stuff. On the other hand if they lose, then I tend to get a little crazy.

Pywacket 4 years, 5 months ago

If they win: This depends on which team and how high the stakes. For example, if KU bball or the Detroit Red Wings or the Detroit Tigers win a "regular" game, I'm mildly pleased. If they win the NCAA crown or the Stanley Cup or the World Series I get into it quite a bit more.

If they lose: Corresponding level of bummedness, but never to a serious level.

They play games.

GAMES.

A team's wins or losses carry none of the importance of, say, the triumphs or setbacks of surgeons, teachers, firefighters, or the other truly necessary professionals in our lives. I wish our society would put sports into perspective and stop endorsing the multimillion-dollar careers of people whose "work" is so much less essential than that of the aforementioned (and underpaid) firefighters, teachers, police.....

Do people of our generation really have that much more fun watching a game between overpaid, cosseted, egotistical pro football or baseball players that folks 100 years ago had watching a game between the (sanely paid and "regular guy") players of yesteryear? Really?

I don't go to games--even of the teams I enjoy watching. I may watch them on TV, or listen on the radio, but I can't countenance the absurd pay scales or the public fawning on these celebrity game players.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 5 months ago

"Brown, brown what? "

Craft beer or liquor.

somedude20 4 years, 5 months ago

Win: drink more Lose: poop in a bag, light it, and put it in front of your door because you cursed my team

Matt Warman 4 years, 5 months ago

If they lose, I go on a shooting spree on the neighborhood cats.

Brown, brown what? I must have missed something. Typical.

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

I plunder...and prune....the hedges...of many small villages.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 5 months ago

" Since this is done often, could ljworld.com put a link to the related article at the bottom of On the Streets? "

They used to do that, but quit a couple years ago. I'll raise my hand to endorse your request.

Mary Darst 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh yes, I do whine a little back to Autie.

Mary Darst 4 years, 5 months ago

I use to get so upset BEFORE a basketball game that I would make myself sick with worry. I would just be relieved if we won and upset that they lost.....I am MUCH better now. I have taken on a little more realistic look at the whole deal. Sure, I'm disappointed when we lose...But am so grateful when we win. Best day! was when the JHawks beat N. Carolina and Roy.....I would have wanted to curl up in my bedroom, if we would have lost that game. It was the BEST win EVER. I have never felt like that after any other game, ever. Now I just chill and go with the flow. (though, I do a lot of yelling and cussing during the games)

lawrence_native_at_KU 4 years, 5 months ago

I know there's an article today that relates to this On the Street because I saw the headline at one point. Since this is done often, could ljworld.com put a link to the related article at the bottom of On the Streets? That would make it just a little bit easier than going back and searching the front page. I know that's done on other articles.

Just a thought.

prospector 4 years, 5 months ago

I kick the dog, sic him on the kids in my yard, and then take my balloon covered car the wrong way around a round-a-bout while enjoying a Klondike bar and texting. I do this whether there is a game on or not.

Really, I just have a Free State beer, "..because without beer, things do not seem to go as well". I don't cry over spilled milk, just spilled beer.

Donnuts 4 years, 5 months ago

I knock out headlights in parked cars and bash in rearview mirrors and tear up mailboxes and stomp on flowers in other people's yards and strew trash all over the place from trashcans between the sports bar and my car and beat up anybody in my way.

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

Looting, fires, and other unmentionables...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 5 months ago

Either way, take some ibuprofen and head to the strip club.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Hard to pick sides when they fight on Massachusetts street

autie 4 years, 5 months ago

Which favorite team?

Chiefs lose. Oh well, they did it again, whats for supper? Jayhawks lose. The G Dh refs cheated! Sh!!!! Pour me a drink. Why didn't they )((&^&%^#$##^^%()&/1/1111!! Pour another drink. Then call charliejohnson and whine. Text daughter more cuss words.

Napoleon_Dynomite 4 years, 5 months ago

win: golf clap lose: a quick constitutional