Previous   Next

Should the city run a budget deficit to provide a year-end bonus for its employees?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 West Sixth St. on November 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“I understand that the people getting the bonus probably deserve it, but I do not believe in deficits of any kind.”

“Yes they should because it sounds like the city made the error in not budgeting enough money for the bonuses and that isn’t the fault of the employees.”

“No, I don’t think they should do it this year because everybody is losing bonuses and suffering, and to have a deficit for that doesn’t seem to be a good idea.”

“To keep their employees happy, sure.”

Comments

KS 5 years, 6 months ago

Is not this the same deal that everyone has been so critical of the big banks for? Being broke and paying bonuses to staff with taxpayer money? No way.

Matt Warman 5 years, 6 months ago

No. Nuff said, you all have covered it well so far.

canyon_wren 5 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely not! When there are so many people out of work, the city employees should be grateful that they aren't being laid off. Bonus are becoming as meaningless, as far as being based on actual merit, as "good grades" are in the schools. Any method the City can adopt to minimize its deficit should be employed--and eliminating bonuses sounds like a very good way.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

no, the city needs to live within it's means to provide bonuses considering its citizens didn't even receive raises this year, due to the economy. Gotta start somewhere.

momof2ku 5 years, 6 months ago

I second Bob's motion! You crack me up..........

sgtwolverine 5 years, 6 months ago

That this question can be asked with a straight face should demonstrate that the government has no idea how to handle money. Any question that starts with "Should the city run a budget deficit" should be laughed down before it can be finished -- especially when the deficit would be for something so nonessential like bonuses.

tvc 5 years, 6 months ago

So Multi, why do they get removed?

nobody1793 5 years, 6 months ago

“I understand that the people getting the bonus probably deserve it, but I do not believe in deficits of any kind.” — Arthur Barton, retired, Grant Township

So does he refuse social security checks?

VTHawk 5 years, 6 months ago

All of my coworkers and I get to deal with a "voluntary" 5% pay-cut, a freeze on wages and promotions, a travel freeze, a freezing of employee benefits, and we are still happy to have jobs. The fact that our government employees have ABSOLUTE job security and STILL get bonuses is a joke. I know that many gov't employees work hard, but they need to take a pay-cut like everyone else.