Previous   Next

Generally speaking, do you think Kansans are smart drivers?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 31, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah. … I don’t have a lot of experience driving elsewhere.”

“Generally speaking, I think that Kansans are smart drivers. Rarely do they run into me.”

“I think Kansans are smart drivers, to an extent. … It depends on if you are in Lawrence or Manhattan because they tend to have a lot of college students that don’t pay attention.”

“Well, in the school parking lot, I would say they’re pretty stupid, but out and around, where there aren’t so many kids, they’re pretty good.”

Related story

Comments

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

Dang girl..you've got to learn to think faster. Next time..Scream bloody murder, fall down and collect the money! Not everyone bruises when they get hit, but you could get a bit of a bump when you hit the pavement! LOL (Didn't you see the smiley face? You lay down a straight line, then people go from there. That's how it works. Bing and Bob, Dean and Jerry, Dan and Dick, Dick and Tommy,George and Gracie )

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Irish, Maybe if you were packing that Red Ryder BB gun they would respect your personal space more!

;-)

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

I think someone overreacted to what I wrote. Sure and people can make whatever comment they want on here, and did I ever say otherwise? I just say my thoughts. I should edit myself, and say geezers and geezerites in training. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that, but don't bother telling me to take my meds, cause there ain't no med can cure that kind of thing. I don't take back what I said about white middle class women though. I was walking across Iowa, my light was green, and an SUV came careening around from 25th, and screeching came to a halt so close that the vehicle brushed me. She was talking on a cell phone and she shrugged and had a look on her face like, am I not cute? Well, no. That was just one incident. So, smirk away wmw. We country girls will survive.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe, meet tange...tange meet Roe...Something tells me (okay, it scares me) that the two of you are way too alike.....

roger_o_thornhill 4 years, 10 months ago

The year before last, 5, that's FIVE Kansas drivers hit my car. They were ALL at fault. A big problem is that there is not nearly enough testing. A few were doing things they believed to be legal (like changing lanes while turning), while others were simply acting as though they were the only ones on the road. Across the board, I think yearly driving tests should be a minimum.

Also, many Kansas drivers drive like they are still in Podunk, where there are far fewer cars and far lower speed limits. And what is up with 14 yr olds driving. On the farm is one thing, on the road is another. It is the 21st century after all--is this rule really necessary? And in JoCo? How many farm kids in Leawood?

Plus, what's up with the business of expecting people to get out of the way when entering a freeway? The impetus is on the entering driver to find a space, but Kansas drivers seem to think it is the other way around--to the point of endangering and/or yelling/gesturing at folks who don't automatically get out of the way.

So over all, I'd say Kansas drivers are NOT good drivers, but nothing will ever be done about it because the statehouse is filled with a bunch of big fish from very small ponds.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

tang, You could always take an ice water bath and lie very, very still. See what happens..................

;-)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Roadarmadillodanda: "I see dead things….and I want to embrace and share them...."

People who want to "embrace" dead things are called necrophiliacs ( hmm... which doesn't seem to bode well for for the vital romantic interests in your life... er... afterlife ) .

... and you don't like to share... who do you think you're kidding?

:-)

summerguuurl008 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, I forgot about how KS drivers will speed up and close a gap when I put my signal on. So I end up cutting a lot of people off.

begin60 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, until you've lived in Missouri maybe you lack the proper standards for rudeness and bad manners on the road. In my experience, just about anything is an improvement. Comparatively few drivers in Lawrence slide into the crosswalks at traffic stops,thus impeding those trying to cross Mass Street downtown.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

I.S., There are a few problems with your comment. As a someone who grew up here. I made KU student comments even as a teen driver myself, for a very good reason. They arrive new every semester, didn't know the town, drive down one way streets the wrong way, cut in front of people to make turns not knowing where they were going, drive around drunk going way too fast, and congest the heck out of traffic. We'll make all the comments we want to thank you very much. If you don't like it, move to a town that doesn't have a college. Just like when it's stormy, we're likely to talk about that too.

And as for your "white middle class woman' comment, from what I've read and heard, the insurance industry completely disagrees with you and considers them the safest drivers on the road. And no, I'm not going to spend my time doing the research for anyone, do it yourself.

But I.S. this every driver smirking at you as a pedestrian thing does remind me of the Ron White stage performance where he retells the story of being near a military base. He says something about how many thousand men are stationed there. This woman shouts out "And every one of them is a lousy in bed". (edited for ljw) Ron thinks to himself..(and I'll not be able to quote this exactly) Now, if it was me, I'd be thinking.. After the first 99,000..maybe it's me? :)

camper 4 years, 10 months ago

No, not from what I see. The left lane is the passing lane, and you should not have to increase your speed to 80+ mph so you can pass someone without hacking the driver off who is coming up from behind. And some people really hate having to wait a couple of seconds to allow the car in front of them to pass someone.

But it could be worse. Chicagoan's are the most deadly of all drivers I've seen. And it get's better too, Texans are more driver friendly and ease off the accelerator a little. For this reason, I really hope they stay in the Union. We would lose a lot of good drivers if they formed another country.

Ms_P_Lane 4 years, 10 months ago

Johnson County drivers suck! I can't stand driving on K-10 behind a car with JO tags going 68 in the left lane like there is no one else on the highway with them.

After living in Germany for a number of years, I have to say I experienced some of the best driving there. They are efficient, considerate, aware, and responsible drivers. I learned that it is possible to drive fast, responsibly because, to them, driving is a huge privilege and not necessarily a right!

If you can't tell, I have strong feelings about bad driving... ;-)

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

"I am sick and tired of KU students being vilified. All the old geezers and geezerites who post this kind of thing should stop..."

What a weird comment.

There were only two references to KU at all: 1) A nursing student commented on student. From her picture you can tell that she is female and Caucasian. I have no idea as to her class, but I would assume she is middle class. However, unless she has a wonderful plastic surgeon an/or botox, she definitely isn't "old" unless you define that as anybody over 24.

2) Someone made a comment about people from Florida that come to KU. That is a slap at warm weather drivers - not a blanket statement of KU students.

Perhaps you need to show some maturity before making such blatantly bigoted accusations.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 10 months ago

If not using a turn signal, following too close and not running lights 1/2 before dawn or 1/2 before sunset or in the rain or fog among other stupid things is considered "smart", then yes I agree with the OTS question.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

ret, obviously a receiver with bad hearing...:)

tange, some of us (okay, that would be me) have a fascination with dead things...."I see dead things"....and I want to embrace and share them. What is strange about that?

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

grammaddy (Anonymous) says… "For the most part, but not the ones from Johnson County. They are bullies and not very bright ones at that."

You're right, I consider the JO in the corner of the license plate as a warning.

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

Boeing (Anonymous) says…

I think Kansans are generally good, with a few exceptions:

1) The left lane is the passing lane. I have lived in a few states, and Kansas is the worst when it comes to this. If it's a 65 zone and you want to go 55, fine, but do it in the left lane.

Sorry, but that isn't my observation. Normally, someone in the left lane is doing 75 mph, and someone behind them is pissed because they cannot continue to go 80+ mph. The left lane may be a passing lane, but it wasn't meant to be the autobahn either.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

I am sick and tired of KU students being vilified. All the old geezers and geezerites who post this kind of thing should stop. My experience is that white middle class woman break the traffic laws more often than others. They will all but run you down when you are walking and have the right of way and then smirk at you. I think this is the only outlet they have. Pedestrians are like squirrels, you can hit them if you can catch them.

Boeing 4 years, 10 months ago

I think Kansans are generally good, with a few exceptions:

2) Turn your lights on in the rain people! I have had a couple near misses in nasty weather by coming up on someone on the highway that popped up out of nowhere because they had no rear lights on.

I don't think Johnson County drivers are any worse than Douglas County. Both have good drivers and both have bad. If anything, I think DG drivers are worse

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

“Generally speaking, I think that Kansans are smart drivers. Rarely do they run into me.”

"rarely do they run into me." this comment struck me as funny.

... as opposed to the out of state drivers who do run in to him all the time?

lollygag in the left lane... well, speaking snarkily, if you're driving you shouldn't be engaged in lollygagging at all!

ah, RI, your Ralph Nader persona is coming out again. what would Ralph Nader do?

and boy is there a lot of JoCo experience represented in this thread! maybe we should install a DgCo toll booth on K10 and charge JoCo county drivers to come in to our county.

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

Like, "What would Ike do?" general?

If I have to generalize or be specific, yes and no.

demonfury 4 years, 10 months ago

Statistically, Kansas is supposed to be like 4th or 5th overall in safe drivers nationwide. However, as I'm getting gas at the HY-Vee gas station on sixth street yesterday around 2 o'clock, I see the stupidest thing. This guy pulls in with a 27 foot U-Haul and a full size car carrier in tow. He pulls around to the furthest pump to stay out of peoples way. The back of the trailer is still sticking out of the gas island though. This would require a driver to be cautious as they drive by. We are in a parking lot, mind you, and everyone is parked. This lady comes out of the gas store and gets into her Ford Crown Victoria, closed the door, starts the engine, does not put on her seat belt, does not look behind her, does not even check her mirrors, puts it in reverse, and guess what? BAM, you guessed it, she plows right into the trailer. This wan't even an accident, it was a blatant disregard for safety, hers or anyone elses for that matter. She puts the car in park, gets out of the car with a completely dumbfounded look on her face, and looks behind her car to see what was in HER way, because she was totally oblivious to her surroundings. Had she actually taken her eyes off her phone while exiting the store, she would have seen half a semi size truck and trailer parked there, blocking out the sun it was so big. But no, something else is always more important than driver safety to those who just don't care about anything except what is directly important to them. Not surprised at all about this incident. Just one more clear cut case of "I have the right of way, no matter what, because nothing is more important than me". Probably learned that in KU freshman orientation. Overall, I think Kansan's are fairly smart drivers, but then there are complete morons like this lady on the road, so watch out.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Some of us recognize roadkill for what it is. Others want to stop and roll around in it.

Unique roadkill? Uniqueness disappears with that second syllable.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Ms. Rodonda, Wow, I knew you were going to say that, it was like this freaky premonition.

Outsidelookingin 4 years, 10 months ago

Some are! As long as you say out of JoCo, and stay away from the Douglas county tags that are JoCo wannabe's. (not all Dg, but several)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Smart is as smart does. Some drivers will not even stop to take pictures of unique roadkill. How smart is that?

summerguuurl008 4 years, 10 months ago

I like how about half the people here in Lawrence don't know what a turn lane is for when making a left across traffic. Or stopping at the entrance to the 70, waiting for a break in traffic. Merge lady merge!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Speaking comparatively - Compared to Missouri drivers, yes.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Speaking confidentially - No. Speaking metaphorically - We are all drivers on life's highways. Speaking hypothetically - A 15 question, open book, unproctored test? Speaking kind of cryptically - Don't lollygag in the left lane!

But, by and large, on the whole, full and by, mostly... Not so much.

edjayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I've lived in a few other places, but Jo Co drivers cut the cake. I've had several near misses, but because of my defensive driving awareness I have been lucky to avoid one.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

No. The majority of people I know that have had incidents could have avoided them by using defensive driving. I see way too much stupidity on the road. Common courtesy? In my town the four way stop dilemma is both parties insisting the other go first.

Rex Russell 4 years, 10 months ago

Not picking fights, but compared to KCMO drivers, this is an easy answer. Missouri drivers are usually less courteous. Rarely do you see one usually using a turn signal. Where I originaly come from, the Kansas exception is anyone from Marion County. These people are usually clueless when they "come to town". Here in Lawrence, the equivilent seems to be Jefferson County. Still, that still doesn't compare to the SoCal drivers and the Floridians who come to KU and drive like morons the first time it snows.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

Catzilla 4 years, 10 months ago

The thing I like about Kansas drivers, unlike east coast drivers, is that they don't lay on the horn when your in front of them and haven't reached a speed of 60 mpg a half second after the light has turned green.