Previous   Next

Do you think downtown businesses should stay open later?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on May 29, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think that would be nice.”

“Yeah … sometimes people working late can still go shopping.”

“In some cases, it would help. I have a tough time getting to them during regular business hours.”

“Yes, because sometimes people are busy during the day and they can only get what they need during the nighttime.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 3 months ago

Downtown would be a good location to ask that question.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

When the zombies come out next month, we'll all want to be safe in our bunkers before the sun goes down.

Ceallach 5 years, 3 months ago

Sure, as long as it isn't past bedtime. It will be hard to sleep with people walking over and around you as they are going into and out of the stores.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

We shop very little downtown but we do eat downtown and the current hours work for us. I know many in Lawrence think all box store should disappear and we should only shop downtown but where would everyone park? Our downtown is nice but Lawrence isn't a downtown only town anymore.

deskboy04 5 years, 3 months ago

It might to a good strategy to stay open if your competition does.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

I also thought it quite funny they asked this at a nondowntown business!

but has anybody asked the homeless bums/bumettes what they think?

Tony Kisner 5 years, 3 months ago

Funny question. A basic truth is that I want everyone else to act in a manner which makes my life easier. Do I want shops to stay open later? Yes but they only need to be open when I come down town.

gogoplata 5 years, 3 months ago

I know, lets pass a law that they have to stay open later. While we are at it we'll tell them how to set prices, decorate, tell them if they can smoke, ... wait, scratch that last one.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

TOB, just the poster for that movie scared me.

Bob Harvey 5 years, 3 months ago

We would like the stores to stay open later. By the time work is over we have little reason to go downtown if we need or want to do a little shopping. My bride routinely asks why we hear the whining about supporting downtown businesses when they make it inconvenient to do so.

5 years, 3 months ago

Put your money where your mouth is! Most stores are already open late on Thursdays & parking is next impossible to find on Massachusetts Street. Yet if you check, there are very few people walking around & even fewer are carrying sacks. Next time you see a lot of people downtown check how many of them are carrying sacks & that will tell you how busy the retailers are. After 30+ years in business we have very little Thursday night traffic so to encourage late hours start shopping Thursday nights & maybe it would be more appealing to stay open other nights.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

hey Waka1! Dude! haven't seen much of ya', you okay man?

multi, I'm thinking that retail isn't quite timed like restaurant, as a couple of retailers I love downtown when I'm there around 3-4p.m., they've got great business going at those times.