Previous   Next

What do you think is good music for dinner parties?

Browse the archives

“Some jazz. It’s pretty neutral. All people can enjoy it.”

“Country and western, because I like it.”

“Rhythm and blues. I just like the tone.”

“Adam Lambert, 100 percent. He’s going to be the next Elvis, the next Beatles. I love him.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Soft classical, played just at hearing level, wine, candles and .......

Crappie

Kathy Getto 5 years, 6 months ago

ohjayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

"What kind of music do you usually have here?"

"Oh we got both kinds. We got country AND western."

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Classical, jazz, or Prince, depending on the party.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

Glenn Miller Big Band Swing Cherry Poppin Daddy's style Texas Playboys style Joni Mitchell Tony Bennett Clapton Unplugged Beatles Marcia Ball and a little classical

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Valkyrie_of_Reason (Kathy Getto) says… "autie has a good plan, but RoeDapple, I like your idea best! How would you be cooking that Crappie?"

Roe cook?

Ooohhhhh, Kathy, you just killed the whole mood!

;-)

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Meatloaf Bread Cream The Cranberries Phish Korn Limp Bizkit Cake Humble Pie Vanilla Fudge Red Hot Chilli Peppers The Sugarcubes Black Eyed Peas Ambrosia Spice Girls Salt 'n Pepper Meat Puppets Wild Cherry Hot Chocolate Bananarama

and for the kids, The Banana Splits

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing myself and maybe beatrice are the only ones under 30 on this page......

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Deja, sounds like you are even younger than my children!

If their parents happen to share a kiss in front of them, they practically in unison yell,"Ewwww! Geezer love!"

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm old enough to appreciate Classic Rock but young enough to dance in the car to Beyonce.....my 4 year old daughter's favorite cd's are Steve Miller Band, Destiny's Child, and recently Melissa Ethridge....so I will say she's got great taste in music!

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Dejacrew423 is my new favorite person!

However, I'm sorry to change your opinion of me, but I remember buying Steve Miller's The Joker ... on 8-track! While I have an interest in music beyond what came out in my formative years, alas, 30 is but a distant memory. I'm afraid I'm closer to the Woodstock generation than the Ozzfest generation, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the irony that the internet killed the video star.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

In case you haven't seen "Internet Killed the Video Star," here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiB0Vg...

It is a good chuckle for the MTV-aged crowd.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Multi, ABBA is like nails on a chalkboard to me, so I have avoided Momma Mia thus far. I did, however, enjoy Muriel's Wedding several years back, so maybe I'll give MM a try.

Redwood is right on with Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports. Good stuff.

riverdrifter 5 years, 6 months ago

We camped over the weekend in the Flint Hills & this was very nice for drinks & supper for 4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getz/Gil... It is an all-timer of a recording. We caught 4 dozen or so crappie, a few channels and a little flathead that we turned back. Good weekend.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

Okay so I actually did go back and read Beatrice's list.....I'm a little slow today. I just skimmed it and saw a few names that weren't Bing Crosby or Jazz......sorry! Which nothing wrong with those choices, give me some Perry Como and I'll snap my fingers to the tune but I wouldn't run out to buy the cd.

Not that I listen to a lot of music while eating but I will put on some good 311 while the hubby is grilling out. Can't go wrong with that as background music on a nice summer day!

Christine Anderson 5 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm...if it's a private dinner party with a very handsome, sexy 56 yr. old, then the appropriate music would be Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night". If not a private party, how 'bout that one oldie that Perkins plays in rotation; umm, oh yeah, "But I would not be so all alone-everybody must get stoned." Know what's really bad? I'm in my mid-40's, and the last time I was in Perkins and that song came on, NONE of the 20-somethings even noticed. I started laughing so hard my coffee came out my nose. I looked around to see that the only other people laughing were salt&pepper-haired. Holy S@*!-I'm old!

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Pulling an all-nighter cheese? And don't worry, mid forties isn't old...........

Title: Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women Artist: Bob Dylan

Well, they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good They'll stone you just like they said they would They'll stone you when you're trying to go home Then they'll stone you when you're there all alone But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

Well, they'll stone you when you're walking on the street They'll stone you when you're trying to keep your seat They'll stone you when you're walking on the floor They'll stone you when you're walking through the door But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

They'll stone you when you're at the breakfast table They'll stone you when you are 'ung and able They'll stone you when you're trying to make a buck They'll stone you and then they'll say good luck Hey, but I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

Well, they'll stone you and say that it's the end Then they'll stone you and then they'll come back again They'll stone you when you're riding in your car They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar Yes, but I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

Well, they'll stone you when you are all alone They'll stone you when you are walking home They'll stone you and then say they are brave They'll stone you when you're set down in your grave But I would not feel so alone Everybody must get stoned

gphawk89 5 years, 6 months ago

MY dinner party? Warrant Van Halen Iron Maiden Rush AC/DC Kiss Black Sabbath Firehouse Def Leppard Megadeth Manowar Dream Theater Jackyl Lynch Mob Loudness Quiet Riot Yngwie Malmsteen ...all with the volume at 11. Of course, no one would come to the party. But then I'd have all the food/drinks to myself and no one would be telling me to turn the music down.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Okay, I have to ask, did anyone notice my list were all bands with food related names? Meat Loaf, Bread, Korn ... dinner party, get it? I mean, does anybody actually listen to Meat Loaf?

Oh, never mind.

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Caught it right away bea..

Made me hungry so left for a sandwich and never got around to commenting on it.

(Darn, now I'm hungry again.....)

jenner 5 years, 6 months ago

Machiavelli_mania (Anonymous) says…

If it is outside and the party is to last a long time, I think Nickelback or any really great rock will do, to energize and ramp up.

Good Lord, Machiavelli, if I went to a party where Nickelback came on intentionally, I would head for the hills. That is terrible, terrible music. If you want great rock n' roll, Nickelback ain't it!