Previous   Next

What do you think is good music for dinner parties?

Browse the archives

“Some jazz. It’s pretty neutral. All people can enjoy it.”

“Country and western, because I like it.”

“Rhythm and blues. I just like the tone.”

“Adam Lambert, 100 percent. He’s going to be the next Elvis, the next Beatles. I love him.”

Comments

jenner 4 years, 10 months ago

Machiavelli_mania (Anonymous) says…

Good Lord, Machiavelli, if I went to a party where Nickelback came on intentionally, I would head for the hills. That is terrible, terrible music. If you want great rock n' roll, Nickelback ain't it!

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Caught it right away bea..

Made me hungry so left for a sandwich and never got around to commenting on it.

(Darn, now I'm hungry again.....)

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Okay, I have to ask, did anyone notice my list were all bands with food related names? Meat Loaf, Bread, Korn ... dinner party, get it? I mean, does anybody actually listen to Meat Loaf?

Oh, never mind.

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

MY dinner party? Warrant Van Halen Iron Maiden Rush AC/DC Kiss Black Sabbath Firehouse Def Leppard Megadeth Manowar Dream Theater Jackyl Lynch Mob Loudness Quiet Riot Yngwie Malmsteen ...all with the volume at 11. Of course, no one would come to the party. But then I'd have all the food/drinks to myself and no one would be telling me to turn the music down.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Pulling an all-nighter cheese? And don't worry, mid forties isn't old...........

Title: Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women Artist: Bob Dylan

Well, they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good They'll stone you just like they said they would They'll stone you when you're trying to go home Then they'll stone you when you're there all alone But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

Well, they'll stone you when you're walking on the street They'll stone you when you're trying to keep your seat They'll stone you when you're walking on the floor They'll stone you when you're walking through the door But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

They'll stone you when you're at the breakfast table They'll stone you when you are 'ung and able They'll stone you when you're trying to make a buck They'll stone you and then they'll say good luck Hey, but I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

Well, they'll stone you and say that it's the end Then they'll stone you and then they'll come back again They'll stone you when you're riding in your car They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar Yes, but I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

Well, they'll stone you when you are all alone They'll stone you when you are walking home They'll stone you and then say they are brave They'll stone you when you're set down in your grave But I would not feel so alone Everybody must get stoned

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Hmmm...if it's a private dinner party with a very handsome, sexy 56 yr. old, then the appropriate music would be Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night". If not a private party, how 'bout that one oldie that Perkins plays in rotation; umm, oh yeah, "But I would not be so all alone-everybody must get stoned." Know what's really bad? I'm in my mid-40's, and the last time I was in Perkins and that song came on, NONE of the 20-somethings even noticed. I started laughing so hard my coffee came out my nose. I looked around to see that the only other people laughing were salt&pepper-haired. Holy S@*!-I'm old!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

Okay so I actually did go back and read Beatrice's list.....I'm a little slow today. I just skimmed it and saw a few names that weren't Bing Crosby or Jazz......sorry! Which nothing wrong with those choices, give me some Perry Como and I'll snap my fingers to the tune but I wouldn't run out to buy the cd.

Not that I listen to a lot of music while eating but I will put on some good 311 while the hubby is grilling out. Can't go wrong with that as background music on a nice summer day!

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

We camped over the weekend in the Flint Hills & this was very nice for drinks & supper for 4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getz/Gil... It is an all-timer of a recording. We caught 4 dozen or so crappie, a few channels and a little flathead that we turned back. Good weekend.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

beatrice..my point exactly. I did not enjoy abba at all. If not for continually reading how mamma mia was such a hit in Europe etc etc etc..and they have gone to Broadway...and I saw what actors are in it..I thought. Heck..there must be something more to it than just the songs. And yes, there is. And there will be moments that you hesitate. And there may well be moments that you think OMG Meryl Streep sings this so much better than Abba EVER did !!! And it totally surprises you. And some if it so just so f-ing funny it's worth renting. I also enjoy just imagining what it was like trying to film that..it had to be a riot! The locations, the people..getting that many people to keep a straight face and stay in character.. especially the males parts..amazing. Watch this, or imagine watching this with old girlfriends or old boyfriends, daughters for maximum effect.

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

Multi, ABBA is like nails on a chalkboard to me, so I have avoided Momma Mia thus far. I did, however, enjoy Muriel's Wedding several years back, so maybe I'll give MM a try.

Redwood is right on with Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports. Good stuff.

porch_person 4 years, 11 months ago

Multidisciplinary

I'm real partial to Court and Spark. Haven't heard any Grayson Capps, will have to now.

You can digitize old vinyl with a good turntable and amplifier into the stereo in of your computer. Interestingly enough, I found it hard to find the old Disc-Cleaner brushes to give your vinyl a good clean before the recording. You can adjust how much or how little resolution you want to capture with the software you use.

I got into an argument with a friend of mine over the sound quality of CDs vs vinyl and got my a$$ kicked. Even with a used, slightly scratchy version of Dark Side of the Moon, the difference was obvious. Much warmer. I guess it helped that the guy had a stellar McIntosh / Martin Logan system but you know what I mean.

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

moody blues during appetizers?

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

donovan gets the party going......

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

awesome porch person. I know who your first pick is, surprised to see someone put that one here, lol. Have you heard Grayson Capps? What do you think of his work. I only know the songs from Bobby Long and am considering making a purchase of that soundtrack or one of Grayson's CD's.I've got the DVD and just play it in the background, lol.

I was looking for a Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys cd last night. Wishing I could turn all my old unscratched albums into cds, ya know? What is the best Joni cd if someone were to buy one now?

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

also the classic

soundtrack

La Dolce Vita

porch_person 4 years, 11 months ago

Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Joni Mitchell Arlo Guthrie John Coltrane David Crosby

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

earth wind & fire ! baby....

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

shoot fire, Multi. I've done voodooed all the rain away today. It has been all around all day but not more than a few drops at my house. But I gots the felling the droppings will hit the fan later tonight.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

(snorts at bea and deja! bread cracked me up..I was thinking..deja needs to reread that list, lol)

bea..You have to watch mamma mia..Even if you hated abba. And watch the credits.Some movies us 'old timers' just HAVE to see. man or woman, too funny, all the way to the end of the DVD.

autie? I just checked the radar. Have you all got some voodoo going on down there or something? Maybe it's time to consider building a Chickee instead of that bunker along the river. Just be careful with that lighter fluid this time around.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 11 months ago

R_I -

You might have some luck at one of the going out of business sales for Sharper Image.

Alas, no gathering today. The long weekend put a beating on me.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of dinner, does anyone know of a built-in induction wok station for less than $1900?

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

In case you haven't seen "Internet Killed the Video Star," here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiB0Vg...

It is a good chuckle for the MTV-aged crowd.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

T_O_B,

Didn't get the email yet. 5:00?

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

Dejacrew423 is my new favorite person!

However, I'm sorry to change your opinion of me, but I remember buying Steve Miller's The Joker ... on 8-track! While I have an interest in music beyond what came out in my formative years, alas, 30 is but a distant memory. I'm afraid I'm closer to the Woodstock generation than the Ozzfest generation, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the irony that the internet killed the video star.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm old enough to appreciate Classic Rock but young enough to dance in the car to Beyonce.....my 4 year old daughter's favorite cd's are Steve Miller Band, Destiny's Child, and recently Melissa Ethridge....so I will say she's got great taste in music!

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Deja, sounds like you are even younger than my children!

If their parents happen to share a kiss in front of them, they practically in unison yell,"Ewwww! Geezer love!"

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 11 months ago

Scandinavian Death Metal.

I don't really have dinner parties as much as I send out an email and tell friends the grill will be hot at 5:00. Usually, whatever background music is not even paid attention to by anyone because we are chasing kids or yelling about something.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm guessing myself and maybe beatrice are the only ones under 30 on this page......

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

Meatloaf Bread Cream The Cranberries Phish Korn Limp Bizkit Cake Humble Pie Vanilla Fudge Red Hot Chilli Peppers The Sugarcubes Black Eyed Peas Ambrosia Spice Girls Salt 'n Pepper Meat Puppets Wild Cherry Hot Chocolate Bananarama

and for the kids, The Banana Splits

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Valkyrie_of_Reason (Kathy Getto) says… "autie has a good plan, but RoeDapple, I like your idea best! How would you be cooking that Crappie?"

Roe cook?

Ooohhhhh, Kathy, you just killed the whole mood!

;-)

Richard Heckler 4 years, 11 months ago

Glenn Miller Big Band Swing Cherry Poppin Daddy's style Texas Playboys style Joni Mitchell Tony Bennett Clapton Unplugged Beatles Marcia Ball and a little classical

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 11 months ago

Depends on the theme of the dinner party, if it has a theme. In the summer, it is fun and energizing to play Brazilian music.

If it is a candlelight romantic dinner, soft jazz, or Big Head Todd's "Sister Sweetly" (very funky, hip-rollin stuff). If it is outside and the party is to last a long time, I think Nickelback or any really great rock will do, to energize and ramp up.

Mindi Abair has really happy, upbeat jazz sax. She always makes me smile when I listen to her. You might consider that. She is awesome.

Also Ondine Darcyl might be interesting.

Pywacket 4 years, 11 months ago

The Clash, the Stones, Beethoven (the glorious 9th), Bird, a little Miles--let's mix it up--cranked to volume level 11.

I will most emphatically not be attending any dinner parties where Betty is in charge of the music.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

Classical, jazz, or Prince, depending on the party.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

"What kind of music do you usually have here?"

"Oh we got both kinds. We got country AND western."

Kathy Getto 4 years, 11 months ago

Mary Darst 4 years, 11 months ago

I like the Alice's Restaurant idea.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Soft classical, played just at hearing level, wine, candles and .......

Crappie

edjayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

Anything but rap, hip-hop, or new country...

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Blake, I have bad news for you.... -- I think Ailce's Restaurant is good. Crank is up right after the food is passed. People get riveted, and they actually taste the food they are eating, laugh, relax instead of trying to out do each other at the same time they eat. Then afterward, the verbal intercourse begins. A friend did this once, and it was amazing : such a great time. We all mentioned that we had even noticed smelling and seeing the foods more because we were just intently listening.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

it depends on what is on the menu.

hamburgers and hot dogs = Asleep at the Wheel boeuf au pouve = Mozart Sweetbreads = Bach's Goldberg Variations

mtnfreak 4 years, 11 months ago

2 Live Crew... worked in college.