Previous   Next

What was your favorite toy growing up?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on May 24, 2009

Browse the archives

“A Prince Albert tobacco can.”

“Ninja Turtles. I watched the cartoon.”

“Howdy Doody because he was on TV.”

“The ‘She-Ra, He-Man’ collection. … I guess as a 6-year-old, I really liked strong female characters.”

Comments

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey bronze, the question was, What was your favorite toy growing up?

Not what were your five favorite toys. I can't believe you didn't say a spiderman action figure.

bronze 4 years, 10 months ago

a small pond in grandma's back yard.

Original_Me 4 years, 10 months ago

That topic brought me back to happy childhood memories. By far, I think my mostest, favoritest of them all was a Hills Bros. coffee can, my childhood friends & I would play for hours until our parents would come & get us to go home.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Mrs Roe said her doctor kit got so much use the cotton swabs had all turned black........... Glad she decided to teach...........

I think..........

Original_Me 4 years, 10 months ago

Is a bike considered a toy? A kite? Had my homemade sling shot taken away by my uncle once, so I snuck a knife from the kitchen & carved me a nutter one! >:D Pick up stix & my doctor kit.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Little Lost Baby, Mrs. Beasley, Bo-Peep, a brown teddy bear that played rock-a-bye baby, Wacky Apple, and a Cinderella doll whose used to talk until I left her in the neighbor's tree during a rainstorm in River Falls, Wi.

faceit 4 years, 10 months ago

I liked to take my sister's dolls and pretend they were Bob Dylan. Then I'd treat them like Mr. Hand treated Mr. Bill. Oh, the fun of watching Bob die horrible deaths. I figured I was doing humanity a favor since he had such a horrible voice.

BTW, The Beatles thought he was a joke. John Lennon said as much when asked about him. Wouldn't it have been better if Mark David Chapman would have shot Dylan, if he really had to shoot someone? Absolutely!!!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

hey, this ots question has been asked before!

we're caught in the dreaded OTS-time warp!

I wonder if they're testing to see if our answers change... mine hasn't:

hot wheels! yeah, had the curves and banks, ran all over the bedroom i shared with little bro. cars started up high above my top bunk bed, raced around including across the bedroom door, and around and around, ending on little brother's bottom bunk bed. was cool. I think I had at least a couple dozen of 'em.

last night on the ots I posted that there was a police call: two people for public lewdness/display were having sex in a car by the Salvation Army.

no sign of Waka1 on here!

dude, is Waka1 in jail? does he need our help?

Dude, I hope Waka1 had fun before they caught him in the continuing episodes of: the --homeless sex-- saga!

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

xbusguy (Anonymous) says…

I haven't grown up yet… but I still like girls (that clean fish)

OH my. That would be a rare gem. I can only imagine how much they would say that was worth if you took her to the Antique Roadshow.

spacehog 4 years, 11 months ago

Happy Birthday, Robert Zimmerman!

spacehog 4 years, 11 months ago

May 24,1941. 68 years ago. 50 of them spent turning the pop music world upside down. Liar, a-hole, Jew, Christian, whatever you wanted him to be. The Cat influend the entire world of music. There would be no Beatles or any band on down without him. Happy Birthday, Bob Dylan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RidgeRunner 4 years, 11 months ago

hmm. My fav toy I had growin' up-- Pre 64 Model 70 .243 that was stolen from me in the mid 90's (along with my mod 77 Ruger .243).. Shooting a Crow or any ol' black bird, house sparrow with my handloads were like I'd strapped an m-80 to it, to which I thought was awesome at the time.

Close seconds was whatever .22 was closest and of course when the swarms of house sparrows peed me off, the pump 12 gauge.

City toys... The woods, crick and Mud. I have had a fascination with moving water, and damning of said moving water.

Funny.. My favorite toy's really haven't changed in +30 years; maybe it's even a bit sad..

jackbinkelman 4 years, 11 months ago

Fischer Price Little People, and the old Mr. Potato Head, when it still used real potatoes.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

My pet dinosaur, until it got too big for our cave.....

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

a straw filled teddy bear in 1957.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

It was called a Nosy Bear!!! Ah Ha!

H_Lecter 4 years, 11 months ago

handcuffs and a waterboarding kit

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

My Annie Oakley outfit with fringed, divided skirt, vest, hat, boots and gun belt with 45. It also came with a rifle that you broke open and loaded with caps. I equally loved my pirate tree house with spyglass and sword. I was a major tomboy.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Class..distant memories both..so very hard to choose...

Does a bike count? If not..frisbee.maybe clackers or baton, hula hoop? If someone had been around to teach me to juggle back then, that would have been it.

And as for you CC..the very first thing that came to mind..actually was Mark down the street because we had such great fun.Nothing bad, just real cohorts. Probably a good thing they moved away when they did, another summer of maturity under our belts and that's one after school movie that wouldn't have been approved by ABC.

classclown 4 years, 11 months ago

What's your favorite toy now that you are grown up? Þ

Let's see how many comments get deleted.

summerguuurl008 4 years, 11 months ago

Ha ha, a guy named Johnson said his favorite toy as a kid was a Prince Albert! Ha awesome!

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

I haven't grown up yet... but I still like girls (that clean fish)

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

Hey, who is accusing me of growing up!

Peter Nevernerver Land

I still love my Lego's and Erector Set.

George_Braziller 4 years, 11 months ago

Two sets of wooden building blocks. One set I got in 1966 when I was five, the other one was my grandfather's who was born in 1910.

cutny 4 years, 11 months ago

Brings back memories of the classic OTS answer some ten years back: "An Easy Bake Oven, my sister and I used it to dry out our pot."

Remember that one?

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

My stuffed dog Wrinkles and then this like stuffed bear or something that when you pushed in it's tummy the nose would spin. What were they called? There were a bunch of them and each nose did something different. Poppels? I have no clue.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

double barreled Ithaca 20 guage.