Previous   Next

Are you afraid of snakes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“I’m very afraid of snakes because I never know if they’re poisonous or not.”

“I am not afraid of snakes. Growing up, I used to love reptiles and insects, and ever since then I’ve not been afraid of them.”

“Well, I’m not afraid of captured snakes. I think they’re neat.”

“Yes, I am, because I can’t tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous.”

Related story

Comments

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

sometimes i am really afraid of them - especially if they are 'chambercrat snakes'.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 11 months ago

I assume this is response to the Bushmaster snakes that may have been released near the Haskell campus. Why isn't this being investigated as a hate crime? Someone targeted a minority group with clear motive to terrorize or do bodily harm and yes of course folks are afraid of poisonous snakes. Duh! If you haven't noticed this whole deal pissed me out royal. Who could be so thoughtless toward those students and the environment? Introduction of non-native species have done irreversible damage in so many places, people got to wise up.

We have met the enemy and they is us. Pogo

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

oh no!

Dude, did Waka1 spend the night in jail? do we need to raise his bail?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

LOL!

being by the Salvation Army, I'm thinking:

another chapter in the saga of ... --Homeless sex*--!

Dude, anybody know where Waka1 is? is there going to be a Waka1-baby coming? Waka1a

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Well gnome, sounds like one snake was happy in town...for a little while any way. Hope it was worth it.

No cat is truly domesticated. They just pretend to get noms.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago

Cougars and snakes... not so scary.

I have it on good authority that cougars can even be tamed by snakes in shared, natural environments... yeah... in the grass.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

now, there is a police call:

two people having sex in a car outside the salvation army! yaay!

where's the snakes!

Py, its the predators, the venomous ones, we must beware of!

some cougars are not so dangerous, some exist in captivity or are domesticated.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

"Not all cougars are vicious. Not all the time."

Factor in the 'unpredictability factor', that's when they get scary......

;-)

Pywacket 4 years, 11 months ago

Now, now... Not all cougars are on the prowl. Some are just minding their own business and are themselves pursued.

What's a cougar to do if the one pursuing her is persistent--refuses to listen to reason & logic--and is a tasty morsel to boot? Some cougars, after great initial concern, allow themselves to be captured. Seems to be working out, 11 years on, for one I know of...

Not all cougars are vicious. Not all the time.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

May need to retain 007gnome for protective services........

;-]

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

so, judging by the people they asked, its only people from out of town who are afraid of snakes?

Baby Snakes! by Zappa.

Roe, keep the running shoes on! don't let the cougars catch you! besides, what would Mrs. Roe think anyway. you ever consider setting traps to protect yourself?

Pywacket 4 years, 11 months ago

I love snakes. We've had pet snakes since forever... Currently have an 11-year-old corn snake who is very docile and hardly ever barks at the mailman. ;-)

Even venomous snakes, by & large, will leave you alone if you leave them alone. I hate people who kill first and ask questions later.

If it's a copperhead on your porch, that's one thing--but I hate to hear people bragging about killing big rat snakes or other highly beneficial species. Don't know the difference? Get a frickin' book. How hard is that?

As for those idiots who go on organized rattlesnake hunts... what a stupid, irresponsible, redneck thing to do. Even venomous snakes are beneficial and have a purpose in the chain.

If not for snakes, we'd be overrun with rodents. Your chances of being seriously injured by a snake are minuscule next to your chances of being injured or killed by a myriad of other causes.

Any moron who would intentionally release a nonindigenous snake, especially a venomous one, into the surroundings should be drawn & quartered. And if it happens by accident, they should have the decency to alert the authorities. I just read an alarming article in the New Yorker about pythons and other nonnatives establishing breeding populations in Florida. What a mess that is.

Starlight--you have a very positive attitude and don't let your fears run your life--way to go!

Deja~ You should see if you can get therapy for that phobia. Seriously--it could cause you some real problems some day. What if you were driving and a snake had gotten into your car? If it slithered over your foot and you freaked out, you could kill yourself or others. I tell my sister the same thing about her spider phobia--the first time one lowers itself by a thread in front of her while she's driving, she will wrap herself around a tree. I really think she would, too.

My grandma had a phobia about mice. We thought it was funny that she would literally jump on a chair and scream, just like in a cartoon, but when she was very old and frail she fell and broke a hip trying to run when she saw a mouse. For some reason, despite the presence of cats, mice always showed up at her old house.

RedwoodCoast 4 years, 11 months ago

I like snakes. I've actually caught a copperhead before. It always bugs me to see dead snakes on the road. What is it with snakes and turtles that makes people feel compelled to smash them?

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Deja... Get a mongoose! (or a pair of lemurs...)

Neighbors came home yesterday after a week away. While she was putting things away she noticed the sticky trap they had put out for mice upside down in the bathtub. When she picked it up and turned it over it had a very dead ringneck curled up and stuck to it. Threw it one way and ran out side the other. Hope that doesn't keep you out of the tub, deja........

8-0

camper 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes, I'm afraid of snakes. I do like them though because they rarely get in our way and always keep hidden. The rare moments when I see one, like when mowing the grass, I let them get away, and would be more disturbed if I ran over one with the mower.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

I am very afraid of snakes.....even ring necks give me the willies. My nightmares always involve at least one or two snakes. We were pulling up the flower bed in the front yard when my husband came across a nest of garter snakes.....haven't gone near the flower bed since. We lived in an old farm house with a mud room that we kept a spare fridge on. One day I go in the mud room to get some food out of the fridge and after I'm in the fridge a minute I see a black snake slithering around on the top of the fridge. Even after my husband caught the snake I would always run through the mud room to go outside....I really think I have a problem.

Practicality 4 years, 11 months ago

Only if I hear them, see them, or think about them. Other than that, no, I am not afraid of snakes.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago

nix_Adm: "If I see a snake, you might as well put a skirt on me and call me Sally!"

Whoa... unfortunately, that comment worked... er... didn't work for me... on too many levels.

( ... did you mean "Thally?" )

( my apologies, in arrears )

( ... d'oh! )

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

I have never been afraid of snakes and I grew up in the Ozarks. I do go "Irwin". Snakes are much more worried about being stepped on, considering the size difference between people and snakes. We must look enormous to them. A snake can only strike the length of its body and it doesn't want to use up venom unless it is sure of dinner as it takes a while to replenish it. The next time you see a snake :-)

Starlight 4 years, 11 months ago

Had I known about the "two-step" Bushmaster's existence I wouldn't have wandered outside inebriated at night at the edge of a Costa Rican jungle. Fortunately I only suffered something like a multitude of jungle variety chigger bites. Stan Roth left me holding the tail end of a large diamondback when he lost hold of the head! I've landscaped with some rocks around the yard here and now see snakes occasionally instead of being plagued with mice. I prefer the snakes to the mice crapping all over the attic. I twice overcame my trepidation to grab and rescue a large black snake from a pit so that it could continue to eat the resident mice at a work place. I've come across rattlers, water moccasins, and copperheads in the wild, and yes, they give me the willys everytime!

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm with Sarra above. A snake in a cage is nuetral, and I'll hold a ball python, or even one of the bigger ones. But I confess to usually jumping a little bit if one slides past my foot or something.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

I am not afraid of anything that tastes like chicken.

Did you know the Copperhead Pale Ale at the Free State is named for the snake because of the hoppy "bite" it has.

Autie, we all learn from others mistakes/stupidity. Well, at least some do.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

of course not. just let em be. But I'm not going go all steve irwin on them either.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

Ever since Eve screwed up,

Actually I have been a bit wary of both. Damn rib thieves.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

A couple of years ago..... went out on the back porch, coffee and paper in hand. Just getting ready to sit down for the morning joe when I saw a copper head on the porch... I calmly ran into the house and grabbed the old 12 gauge, ran out shot that snake into two pieces... My only regret was having a wooden porch floor

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Not if I see them first. Have recently discovered I have developed a fear of 'cougars", though........

;-)

Unix_Admin 4 years, 11 months ago

If I see a snake, you might as well put a skirt on me and call me Sally!

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Only the bipedal variety. In hind sight, shoot first ask questions later might be pretty wise advice.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

Are you afraid of snakes?

does a cat have a butt?