Previous   Next

Are you afraid of snakes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“I’m very afraid of snakes because I never know if they’re poisonous or not.”

“I am not afraid of snakes. Growing up, I used to love reptiles and insects, and ever since then I’ve not been afraid of them.”

“Well, I’m not afraid of captured snakes. I think they’re neat.”

“Yes, I am, because I can’t tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous.”

Related story

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

Are you afraid of snakes?

does a cat have a butt?

Unix_Admin 5 years, 7 months ago

If I see a snake, you might as well put a skirt on me and call me Sally!

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Not if I see them first. Have recently discovered I have developed a fear of 'cougars", though........

;-)

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

A couple of years ago..... went out on the back porch, coffee and paper in hand. Just getting ready to sit down for the morning joe when I saw a copper head on the porch... I calmly ran into the house and grabbed the old 12 gauge, ran out shot that snake into two pieces... My only regret was having a wooden porch floor

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm with Sarra above. A snake in a cage is nuetral, and I'll hold a ball python, or even one of the bigger ones. But I confess to usually jumping a little bit if one slides past my foot or something.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I have never been afraid of snakes and I grew up in the Ozarks. I do go "Irwin". Snakes are much more worried about being stepped on, considering the size difference between people and snakes. We must look enormous to them. A snake can only strike the length of its body and it doesn't want to use up venom unless it is sure of dinner as it takes a while to replenish it. The next time you see a snake :-)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

nix_Adm: "If I see a snake, you might as well put a skirt on me and call me Sally!"

Whoa... unfortunately, that comment worked... er... didn't work for me... on too many levels.

( ... did you mean "Thally?" )

( my apologies, in arrears )

( ... d'oh! )

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

Only if I hear them, see them, or think about them. Other than that, no, I am not afraid of snakes.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 7 months ago

I am very afraid of snakes.....even ring necks give me the willies. My nightmares always involve at least one or two snakes. We were pulling up the flower bed in the front yard when my husband came across a nest of garter snakes.....haven't gone near the flower bed since. We lived in an old farm house with a mud room that we kept a spare fridge on. One day I go in the mud room to get some food out of the fridge and after I'm in the fridge a minute I see a black snake slithering around on the top of the fridge. Even after my husband caught the snake I would always run through the mud room to go outside....I really think I have a problem.

camper 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I'm afraid of snakes. I do like them though because they rarely get in our way and always keep hidden. The rare moments when I see one, like when mowing the grass, I let them get away, and would be more disturbed if I ran over one with the mower.

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Deja... Get a mongoose! (or a pair of lemurs...)

Neighbors came home yesterday after a week away. While she was putting things away she noticed the sticky trap they had put out for mice upside down in the bathtub. When she picked it up and turned it over it had a very dead ringneck curled up and stuck to it. Threw it one way and ran out side the other. Hope that doesn't keep you out of the tub, deja........

8-0

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 7 months ago

I like snakes. I've actually caught a copperhead before. It always bugs me to see dead snakes on the road. What is it with snakes and turtles that makes people feel compelled to smash them?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

so, judging by the people they asked, its only people from out of town who are afraid of snakes?

Baby Snakes! by Zappa.

Roe, keep the running shoes on! don't let the cougars catch you! besides, what would Mrs. Roe think anyway. you ever consider setting traps to protect yourself?

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

May need to retain 007gnome for protective services........

;-]

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

"Not all cougars are vicious. Not all the time."

Factor in the 'unpredictability factor', that's when they get scary......

;-)

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

now, there is a police call:

two people having sex in a car outside the salvation army! yaay!

where's the snakes!

Py, its the predators, the venomous ones, we must beware of!

some cougars are not so dangerous, some exist in captivity or are domesticated.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Cougars and snakes... not so scary.

I have it on good authority that cougars can even be tamed by snakes in shared, natural environments... yeah... in the grass.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

LOL!

being by the Salvation Army, I'm thinking:

another chapter in the saga of ... --Homeless sex*--!

Dude, anybody know where Waka1 is? is there going to be a Waka1-baby coming? Waka1a

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

oh no!

Dude, did Waka1 spend the night in jail? do we need to raise his bail?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 7 months ago

I assume this is response to the Bushmaster snakes that may have been released near the Haskell campus. Why isn't this being investigated as a hate crime? Someone targeted a minority group with clear motive to terrorize or do bodily harm and yes of course folks are afraid of poisonous snakes. Duh! If you haven't noticed this whole deal pissed me out royal. Who could be so thoughtless toward those students and the environment? Introduction of non-native species have done irreversible damage in so many places, people got to wise up.

We have met the enemy and they is us. Pogo