Previous   Next

If given the opportunity, would you travel to Cuba?

Browse the archives

“No. If I was wanting to have nice weather and a beautiful area to go to, it would not be Cuba. I would feel a little bit too nervous.”

“Yes. My dad is from Cuba; he came to the United States on the Freedom Flight. We have family over in Cuba, so I would go to experience where my dad grew up.”

“I would travel to Cuba because I think it’s important to see new places.”

“No. I just don’t have any interest to go to Cuba.”

Comments

Daytrader23 5 years, 2 months ago

No, I have no interest in life or other things, I will just stay in this poop hole known as Kansas and rot away- Loser.

Go to Cuba, it's absolutely beautiful, the people are friendly, the food is delicious and there is nothing better then dancing to samba with a beautiful women on a warm Cuban night drinking the finest rum and the worlds best cigars.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Just don't think about the political prisoners rotting away in Cuban jails while you're puffing those stogies.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

Gotta be better than Topeka. Yee-Haw

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

But Snap, I thought we were closing Guantanamo Bay.

Boeing 5 years, 2 months ago

Two thumbs up for Cuba! Beautiful place.

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

In a heart beat. I have a lawyer friend who is from there.Such a beautiful man, I would love to meet his family and old friends. My Latin friends tell me it is beautiful.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Disrespect for authority will get you a prison sentence in Cuba.

"Reporters Without Borders has learned that dissident journalist Alberto Santiago Du Bouchet, a reporter for the Habana Press news agency, was sentenced to three years in prison on 12 May. Arrested on 18 April on a charge of “disrespect for authority,” he had been transferred to a prison on 10 May. The press freedom organisation does not expect his appeal to be successful. “Hastily tried just two days after being jailed, Du Bouchet has little chance of having his sentence quashed on appeal as it was due above all to his activities as a dissident journalist,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The lawyer who filed the appeal on his behalf was not even able to attend the trial.” The press freedom organisation added: “Du Bouchet’s imprisonment brings the number of journalists detained in Cuba to 24. He is the fourth journalist to be jailed since Raúl Castro took over as President of the Council of State in July 2006. Despite the transition, Cuba still holds its position as the world’s second biggest prison for journalists.”"

conservativepunker 5 years, 2 months ago

Why would I want to contribute to the economy of a Communist country?

redfred 5 years, 2 months ago

Conserv- Everytime you buy something made in China. When you spend the stimulus money the US borrowed from China you contribute to the economy of a Communist country.

salad 5 years, 2 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says…

"Why is everyone so down on Cuba? Since November 4 2008, our government shares the same philosophy. Tell the people whatever you want and make sure there are no questions."

So the Bush administration became a bunch of comunists on Nov. 4, 2008? WOW! Tom Shewmon doesn't get his dates right.WOW! I wonder what Tommy-boy meant by that last sentence? WOW! WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!

BrianR 5 years, 2 months ago

Autie, that is a terrific idea. You could film the entire thing and start your own internet fishing show. What do you think?

The Trawling Totalitarian

The Angling Autocrat

BrianR 5 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I would love to go to Cuba.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

"Cubans can not: • Travel abroad without government permission. • Change jobs without government permission. • Change residence without government permission. • Access the Internet without government permission (the Internet is closely monitored and controlled by the government. Only 1.67% of the population has access to the Internet). • Send their children to a private or religious school (all schools are government run; there are no religious schools in Cuba). • Watch independent or private radio or TV stations (all TV and radio stations are owned and run by the government). Cubans illegally watch/listen to foreign broadcasts. • Read books, magazines or newspapers, unless approved/published by the government (all books, magazines and newspapers are published by the government). • Receive publications from abroad or from visitors (punishable by jail terms under Law 88)."

geekin_topekan 5 years, 2 months ago

The two white girls are totally down for the trip! The two guys?Well,they just lost their dates to a couple of even-tanned Cuban dudes!!LOL!

Ceallach 5 years, 2 months ago

But snap, you are missing the big picture! They have beautiful palm trees, beaches, and I hear their health care is great. Cuban employees are there to grovel and make you feel really special. Just smile a lot, drink a lot and whatever you do, don't make eye contact with the authorities. Now, how hard would that be?

notajayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says…

"I would love to go meet the Castro brothers. Maybe they could take me fishing."

I have this image of Fidel in a sheriff's uniform, walking down this dirt road, whistling and carrying a fishing pole, with little Obie-Autie at his side...

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"Why would I want to contribute to the economy of a Communist country?"

Because economic development, or the desire for it, has shown to be a good catylist(sp?) for capitalist reform, at least taking China as an example.

Ceallach 5 years, 2 months ago

“Why would I want to contribute to the economy of a Communist country?”

Maybe because you should be nice to the little brother communist country, of the big brother communist country, that will soon be the legal owner of your country.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

Isn't Cuba like Mexico on an island, but without freedom?

Boeing 5 years, 2 months ago

“Cubans can not: • Travel abroad without government permission. • Change jobs without government permission. • Change residence without government permission. • Access the Internet without government permission (the Internet is closely monitored and controlled by the government. Only 1.67% of the population has access to the Internet). • Send their children to a private or religious school (all schools are government run; there are no religious schools in Cuba). • Watch independent or private radio or TV stations (all TV and radio stations are owned and run by the government). Cubans illegally watch/listen to foreign broadcasts. • Read books, magazines or newspapers, unless approved/published by the government (all books, magazines and newspapers are published by the government). • Receive publications from abroad or from visitors (punishable by jail terms under Law 88).”

Good thing I am not Cuban...

monkeyspunk 5 years, 2 months ago

"Isn't Cuba like Mexico on an island, but without freedom?"

Not really, Mexicans and Cubans are very different in their ethnic makeup and culture. I would also suggest that you never say that to a Mexican or Cuban, as both would be quite offended.

Cuba is more like Puerto Rico without freedom.

I would rather go to Puerto Rico and visit some of my old baseball teammates, but if someone offered me a free trip to Cuba, I would go.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

"Not really, Mexicans and Cubans are very different in their ethnic makeup and culture."

Yes, but neither country is particularly clean, well-run or efficient. That's pretty much what I was after.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

I think some of you are trying to see who can out argue the other. I would go to Cuba in a shaved New York minute. I would try to learn some Spanish as it is spoken in Cuba as to communicate. I would take a thousand pictures, and eat, eat, eat. I now support Walmart and China. Time to branch out. Every Latin country has their own dialect and it can be difficult for someone from one to understand the other.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh, and maybe I could help someone in Cuba by mailing them a car - one piece at a time.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 2 months ago

"...neither country is particularly clean, well-run or efficient." ++++ As opposed to, say...Lawrence? Don't we have another thread going that's complaining of ciggies and bums laying around?

Ceallach 5 years, 2 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

I think some of you are trying to see who can out argue the other. ** Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Were you able to type that with a straight face?

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"I think some of you are trying to see who can out argue the other."

No! Say it ain't so!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely and why not. Check out the music,food,historical sites and all of those 1950's american vehicles sitting in the streets.

And visit with the natives so they understand that america is much more than a war mongering bully.

Ceallach 5 years, 2 months ago

War mongering bully? Oh please, merrill, I think the "natives" have a pretty good understanding of America, many are still dying to come here.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder what ordinary Cubans would be posting on this thread if their Communist overlords permitted them unsupervised access to the internet.....

Ceallach 5 years, 2 months ago

Great photo makes a good point :)

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely! My undergraduate degree is in Latin American history. It is such an amazing country. I honestly can't wait until it is legally open to travel to.

Dena

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 2 months ago

Me and a friend were trying hatch a plan a few years back to fly to Mexico and connect with Cuba from there. I would definitely go. Who gives a rat's @ss about the government. It's the people who make up the country and its culture, not the government. I really don't understand why we still have a trade embargo with Cuba. At one time, it made sense, but now it just seems like we maintain it "just because."

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

Someone help me.... I am in debt up to my eyeballs, and stuck in Topeka....Cuba sounds great at this point.

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

"I think some of you are trying to out argue the other." When does that ever happen here???

Sunlover 5 years, 2 months ago

75x55 -- I think your response is the only valid and educated response listed on this blog. Thank you.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Health care in Cuba?

Check out: http://medicinacubana.blogspot.com/2007/03/health-care-in-cuba-two-faces-of-myth.html

Don't believe what the foreign visitors see in the Potemkin villages represents how common people really live on the island prison known as Cuba.

KSChick1 5 years, 2 months ago

I may visit a communist country in the daytime but I'll never lay my head down to sleep in one! (from Everybody Loves Raymond)