Previous   Next

What’s the most important thing you learned in kindergarten?

Asked at Schwegler School on May 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“How to count and how to spell.”

“Spelling and counting.”

“Reading, because it’s gotten me here now, and also easy math facts.”

“How to count and how to read, because it’s really important now.”

“To keep my hands to myself.”

“Basic counting and reading, because it’s a big part in life.”

Comments

Christine Anderson 4 years, 11 months ago

Wiish I could have gone to Catholic school( even though I was Lutheran), because in kindergarten, I thought nuns really could fly! Darn you, Sally Field.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

wasn't quite kindergarten, was maybe 1st or 2nd grade.

guy I used to play with on recess, mexican kid. he died of jondas. I had to be told what that meant and why he kinda changed color. I had to be told what dead meant. I think that was the first real school sadness I'd felt. I wish I could remember his name now.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 11 months ago

Marion, you are too funny! What did I glean from kindergarten? 1) Boys are gross. 2) 1969 had too many five yr.olds; our class met in a church. Yes, was a public school. 3) Never, ever feed the goldfish the entire container of food. 4) Do not practice printing your name in black magic marker on the upright piano in the classroom. It will still be there at conference time. 5) Do not lie and say it's your birthday when it's not, just to get treats. 6) Peeing your pants is a very effective way to go home to Grandma if the day is unbearably boring. 7) Don't tell embarrassing stories about your aunt. Your teacher could be married to her college professor!!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, in point of fact, I learned nothing in kindergarten as I got bored with all the silly stuff they were dong there one day, so I left and walked home.

I mean, no one could read; they didn't know about dinosaurs; they were doing things like cutting out paper dolls.

I was expelled from kindergarten and sent to First Grade.

oldvet 4 years, 11 months ago

If you beat the crap out of the bully, he will leave you alone... if you can't do it alone, you get some friends, corner him, then beat the crap out of him, and he leaves all of you alone...

gccs14r 4 years, 11 months ago

I learned to tell time and tie my shoelaces. I could already read, so that wasn't a big deal. My trouble with the clock was that both hands were big, and both hands were little, just in different ways, and that neither one was actually a hand. I think we settled on the long skinny hand and the short fat hand, and ignored that they weren't hands.

Original_Me 4 years, 11 months ago

Kindergarten taught me something later in life I only learned as an adult ~ that education is important & that we should continue to learn. Kindergarten taught me my first encounter with patience.

Donnuts 4 years, 11 months ago

How to pee in a stall. I had never seen one of those before. It was huge taller than I was. There was this giant ball on a rope in a gym which I did not understand and I don't remember having gym until that day. Something about ordering Spock ears out of the back of a magazine, but I don't think the teacher taught that one to me. There was this really colorful parachute we did stuff with and the Hookey Pookey. I have to say between the Hookey Pookey and peeing in a stall were the most important.

gogoplata 4 years, 11 months ago

Cause a country boy can survive.

passionatelibra 4 years, 11 months ago

I learned that not all smiling people are nice.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

1. Play nice.
  2. Don't run with sissors.
  3. If you ignore them, they will soon tire and stop.
  4. Anytime you can vote on anything-vote!
  5. Flush.
  6. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
  7. Take a nap every afternoon
  8. People with symmetrical features tend to be free of disease and genetic disorders and thus more likely to bear healthy offspring
  9. If convicted, try to get sentenced to a federal prison. Unlike state prisons, they tend to have many white-collar criminals, are usually more intelligent and have a better concept of foreplay.
  10. After you've started the riot, yelling 'just kidding' doesn't do much good.

zettapixel 4 years, 11 months ago

Latin... I went to Catholic school and had to give a speech in front of the Mother Superior of the group of nuns that worked there.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

Prospector, I can not recall, but it was some animal without a trunk.

Pywacket 4 years, 11 months ago

Too bad more boys don't learn the valuable lesson Tristan learned! For being good students of this lesson, many years later, nice boys are often invited to break that rule! Not-so-nice boys who fail to learn it find themselves looking up from the floor, with stars circling overhead.

What I learned in kindergarten was that teachers should retire some time BEFORE they grow to hate kids and become abusive hags that the kids still remember with loathing 40-some years later.

It took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades, with wonderful, kindly teachers, to assure me that not all classrooms are inhabited by abusive hags. Luckily, I could read before starting kindergarten, and reading was often my refuge. And I wasn't even one of her main abuse targets! I often wonder what became of the ones who were.

I realized when I got older that they were the ones (due to home circumstances) who were probably most at risk to start with... Very sad what was allowed to go on back then. Nowadays, a teacher like her would be booted, and rightfully. And I am all for strictness & proper discipline. There is a difference.

motomom 4 years, 11 months ago

it is okay to color outside of the lines. i actually STILL stay in contact with my teacher, miss mary. and yup...i still call her that too...it feels really strange if i just call her mary. ooh weird.

average 4 years, 11 months ago

A half-hour nap at 1 in the afternoon is a marvelous idea.

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

To play NICELY with others, and that boys have cooties.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee, Greenest state in the land of the free. Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree, Killed him a bear when he was only three.

Davy, Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

wow, that's some kindergarten TOB!

"“To keep my hands to myself.” " more important than those math and spelling thingys.

these are great kids.

for me: it was learning that you could play with other kids in an organized way.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

I guess I was Prospector. I wasn't a single stem or a hybrid tea type, I would say I'm more of a Floribunda girl. This should explain it.

What are Floribunda Roses?

It is easier to answer this question if we first define hybrid teas roses. Hybrid tea (HT) roses are cultivars bred to produce large double flowers, singly or in small groups. These are usually borne over a long flowering period. Some make large, vigorous bushes; some are compact and suitable for more confined spaces. They can be grown as either half standard or full standard bushes.

Floribundas are distinguished from HTs because they bear their flowers in large, dense clusters or trusses with many blooms opening simultaneously in each truss. The flowers tend to be technically less perfect than those of HTs and may be single, semi-double, or fully double. Fewer floribundas are scented. However, they are generally more vigorous and tolerant than HTs. They produce more blooms and continue to produce them over a long period. And many varieties offer flowers every bit as big and beautiful as the HTs.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

That you have to play football to get the girls. But I really didn't like playing football.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

I had 16 years of this to go, make the best of it.

R_I, what room do the girls use?

MD, were you an early bloomer in kindergarten? I did not think Woody was allowed near kindergartens.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Sometimes that first kiss isn't the boy you marry. Then you hear he was living for a while at Woody Allen's house later. Anyone find out if that was true or not? This being Lawrence KS and then being the 70's..it was just bizarre enough to be true. Somebody out there recognizes the story..pm me.