Previous   Next

What’s the most important thing you learned in kindergarten?

Asked at Schwegler School on May 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“How to count and how to spell.”

“Spelling and counting.”

“Reading, because it’s gotten me here now, and also easy math facts.”

“How to count and how to read, because it’s really important now.”

“To keep my hands to myself.”

“Basic counting and reading, because it’s a big part in life.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

wow, that's some kindergarten TOB!

"“To keep my hands to myself.” " more important than those math and spelling thingys.

these are great kids.

for me: it was learning that you could play with other kids in an organized way.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee, Greenest state in the land of the free. Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree, Killed him a bear when he was only three.

Davy, Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

To play NICELY with others, and that boys have cooties.

average 5 years, 7 months ago

A half-hour nap at 1 in the afternoon is a marvelous idea.

motomom 5 years, 7 months ago

it is okay to color outside of the lines. i actually STILL stay in contact with my teacher, miss mary. and yup...i still call her that too...it feels really strange if i just call her mary. ooh weird.

zettapixel 5 years, 7 months ago

Latin... I went to Catholic school and had to give a speech in front of the Mother Superior of the group of nuns that worked there.

passionatelibra 5 years, 7 months ago

I learned that not all smiling people are nice.

gccs14r 5 years, 7 months ago

I learned to tell time and tie my shoelaces. I could already read, so that wasn't a big deal. My trouble with the clock was that both hands were big, and both hands were little, just in different ways, and that neither one was actually a hand. I think we settled on the long skinny hand and the short fat hand, and ignored that they weren't hands.

oldvet 5 years, 7 months ago

If you beat the crap out of the bully, he will leave you alone... if you can't do it alone, you get some friends, corner him, then beat the crap out of him, and he leaves all of you alone...

Christine Anderson 5 years, 7 months ago

Marion, you are too funny! What did I glean from kindergarten? 1) Boys are gross. 2) 1969 had too many five yr.olds; our class met in a church. Yes, was a public school. 3) Never, ever feed the goldfish the entire container of food. 4) Do not practice printing your name in black magic marker on the upright piano in the classroom. It will still be there at conference time. 5) Do not lie and say it's your birthday when it's not, just to get treats. 6) Peeing your pants is a very effective way to go home to Grandma if the day is unbearably boring. 7) Don't tell embarrassing stories about your aunt. Your teacher could be married to her college professor!!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

wasn't quite kindergarten, was maybe 1st or 2nd grade.

guy I used to play with on recess, mexican kid. he died of jondas. I had to be told what that meant and why he kinda changed color. I had to be told what dead meant. I think that was the first real school sadness I'd felt. I wish I could remember his name now.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 7 months ago

Wiish I could have gone to Catholic school( even though I was Lutheran), because in kindergarten, I thought nuns really could fly! Darn you, Sally Field.