Previous   Next

Do you like to fly?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 S. Iowa on May 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes. I just enjoy traveling.”

“Yes, because it’s hard to get any place outside of Kansas unless you fly.”

“Yes, I’m adventurous.”

“Yes, because it gets me where I need to go quickly.”

Comments

bronze 4 years, 11 months ago

not really prefer travel by RAIL.

Gootsie 4 years, 11 months ago

hannibal, do you wait at the bottom for some fresh kill? I coudn't watch that whole video. OUCH!

persevering_gal 4 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely love it! I was on my first airplane at the age of 4, and I continue to fly at least once or twice a year. I actually fly out of KC on Friday as a matter of fact! The only part about flying I don't care for is the new baggage fees.

Liberty_One 4 years, 11 months ago

Flying is no fun when you are tall and have to squeeze into those airplane seats. Any flight over three hours requires medication for the pain...

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

Autie, do you know the feeling? I hope you got more than seven votes, Wonder what is happening in that quiet little Berg. First it was GOD TV comes to town, now this. Where is Paul Harvey(RIP) with the rest of the story?

"Mayor resigns after election, presiding over 2 meetings"

ms_canada 4 years, 11 months ago

I guess I am getting too old, its seems that air travel ain't what it used to be. Too many delays and long waits. Went to San Diego in April. Edmonton, Calgary, 45 min. Cal. to Denver, 3 hrs. Denver to San D. 3 hrs. Crazy. Too long a day with the stops and wait times. I'll never do that again, if I can't get a direct flt to Denver, I'll stay home. There is noooo direct to San D. from here. It's either Vancouver, San Francisco or Denver and I like Denver airport the best.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

per ATB (at the bar) answers above

Those who enjoy flying, don't fly very much. Packing, parking, wait, very expensive beer, wait, search, wait, crying kids, huge seatmates on both sides, very expensive beers,land, wait, find luggage carousel, wait, no luggage, wait in line, fume, rent car, leave fearing having to do it again so soon.

OR

Load car, leave, drive, see sights, stop, drink from jug of Free State, sleep. Repeat until there. Flying is for a place that you can't take a bridge to.

I hope the owner of the company sees his business recruiter and staffing consultant there deciding who stays and who goes over expense account drinks.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Magic Carpets of course. My adventuresome side would like to pilot a plane and air travel would be fine but my body doesn't agree so I pay a price if I do. Balloons, and all the others options also suit my nature. I almost went para sailing one day, but we were rushed on time and I delayed it, then life took over and those options were gone. In my next life I hope to come back as a base jumper, male of course.

Reality_Check 4 years, 11 months ago

To visit my sister in Santa Fe, I can do 7 hours by airline, including a drive to KCI and from ABQ to Santa Fe ($300 round trip); 15 hours by car, with an overnight in Liberal ($150); a 13-hr. train ride through the night in a coach seat ($125); or a 4-hr. flight in a small plane from the Lawrence airport to the Santa Fe airport ($900 round trip).

Even though it costs 3X as much, I fly myself or I don't go. The easy schedule, lack of lines and security, scenery, comfort (lots of legroom), and the ability to take up to 3 others at no extra cost are some reasons, besides the time savings, that I feel this way.

Donnuts 4 years, 11 months ago

single engine aircraft can shift in the wind depending on windspeed so drastically that it is worse than a rollercoaster ride, especially in gusty winds. Instrument ratings are frightening in them as well and pulling stalls was too much for me... oh do you mean riding in a plane. Yes, flying is fine although I don't want to end up like TWA 800 or anything and the speed they went in my last few was surprising to me. It was so much faster than the planes I flew. I always wanted romantically in my mind to fly biplanes like Richard Bach but realized that I did not like to fly planes.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

I tried that once but the closer I got to the sun the wax began to melt.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

Does singing "You are the Wind Beneath My Wings" when I leave the Free State Brewery count?

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

Sure, but my arms tire quickly.

redmoonrising 4 years, 11 months ago

Love flying, hate waiting around at airports.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

Off the handle? No, not particularly...

trinity 4 years, 11 months ago

sure do, my broom must have a bazillion miles on it! ;)

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

It's hard to get a flight to Topeka.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

I love to fly. Commercially is nice, but in a private single-engine is better. It's amazing the whole different perspective you get from being above everything.