Previous   Next

Have you ever gone Dumpster diving?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on May 15, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have. (I got) some good furniture, a great high-back red chair, a TV stand, a couple of good things.”

“No … I’ve thought about it, but the smell kind of creeps me out.”

“I don’t think so.”

“I don’t think so. I hope never.”

Comments

muddfoot55 5 years, 7 months ago

We refere to it as "dumpster Shopping." I have a buddy that I go with this time of the year. The student population leaving Lawrence leave behind some great stuff. The true test of friendship is when your shopping partner asks you to hold them by the ankles so they can reach in a little farther. Great fun!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

I thought dumpster diving was against the rules.... I still do it, but don't tell anyone.

Dayle Hodges 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh yeah, I'm afraid so.....students do toss out amazing things when they exit Lawrence; especially desks, chairs, and other perfectly good furniture. I guess they just don't want to bother with moving it. It's all good with me!!!

alm77 5 years, 7 months ago

At our house, we've termed it "curb checking" (even thought that already means something else) because really, we get more things off of the curb than we do out of the actual dumpster and we've certainly never entered the dumpster. I make this distinction because I have a friend who never thought twice about chucking her kid in the dumpster to find cool stuff.

wysiwyg69 5 years, 7 months ago

No, I prefer to stay away from wal mart.

Ken Lassman 5 years, 7 months ago

Last summer there actually was a JW editorial, I believe, that suggested that we do like they do in Europe: at the end of the semester around now, or at the end of July, when all the leases come up for renewal, have a free recycle day, where everyone puts out stuff they don't want on the curb and it's free shopping for anyone who cares to do it. I think it's a great idea and saves those re-use folks from the dreaded dumpster juices, which, by the way, never stopped me.

Music_Girl 5 years, 7 months ago

I know a lot of people who will take stuff people set out on the curb but the whole dumpster diving thing is just gross. I shiver and want to vomit just thinking about all the bacteria and smells and ewwwwwwwwwww......runs to restroom

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

RI--- Don't sky dive with your flippers on... Heard it messes up the sky diving thing.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I once found a lovely set of champinge flute glasses still in the box. That was by the side of the dumpster.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I am so embarrassed! Wasn't thinking, but I have rehab at Kreider in an hour, so- champagne glasses

tyger_lily 5 years, 7 months ago

This about the only thing I miss from living in Lawrence. We called it free recycling. At the apartment complex we lived at, people put the nice stuff between the dumpsters. We are planning a trip back to Lawrence for the Aug 1st move in and out, always good findings at the apartment complexes then.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

In Soviet Union, dumpsters dive on you.

hawklet21 5 years, 7 months ago

The only thing that I've actually pulled out of a dumpster is a full length mirror. It wasn't even dirty, but I still gave it a good scrubbing. Next to the dumpster and on the curb I (and the boyfriend) have found two floor lamps, a chair, those plastic drawer things, and probably a lot more that I can't remember. I am also extremely proud of the fact that I've never had to purchase one piece of furniture--I am the hand-me-down queen! :)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 7 months ago

One of the nicest pieces of furniture in my living room came from "next to" a dumpster. I've never donned the goggles and dove in.

Lisia 5 years, 7 months ago

Every year.

I furnished my screened porch with chairs I found by dumpsters. My roommate got a bed frame (just the metal part), and we've found numerous working fans and lamps. Four drawer filing cabinet, bar chairs, utility table, aquariums, working space heaters. Most years, two friends and I pile into my truck and cruise the alleys. The truck gives height to look into the dumpsters without having to actually climb in. It has to be a pretty good find to merit going into the dumpster.

I also have this really amazing pair of Victorian style boots that my mom got dumpster diving when she was in college.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

A tax on dumpster diving would be an excellent source of revenue for the city! By not buying things new people avoiding paying their fair share of taxes cheating the City out of revenues. At a time when the economy is struggling, the City should immediately pass a dumpster tax meant to compensate the city for loss of sales tax revenues by those that would cheat us by not paying their fair share. Just because your trying to save money doesn't mean the city doesn't need and deserve your taxes.

ms_canada 5 years, 7 months ago

There is a store in Twickenham, England that sells only stuff retrieved on bin diving tours through the town. That is what it is called in jolly olde England. bin diving.

ms_canada 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh yes, the store is run by two young ladies. Smart gals. Pure profit.

notajayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm waiting for 3-meter springboard dumpster-diving to be recognized as an Olympic sport.

xbusguy (Anonymous) says…

"I thought dumpster diving was against the rules"

It's OK, if you get caught they just notify your parents.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

Sigmund I can't tell if you are joking, serious, or creating a satire like, oh, Voltaire or Swift. It is considered stealing to remove something from a dumpster that does not belong to you. That is why people put free signs out when they are putting things out on the curbside. I have never heard of anyone being arrested for this, or the police stepping up alley patrols.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says… "It is considered stealing to remove something from a dumpster that does not belong to you."

Things in dumpsters are abandoned property and it is NOT stealing to take them. You MIGHT be trespassing by being in the dumpster, but it is not stealing.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 7 months ago

No, but I hear it may be added as an olympic sport for the 2016 summer olympics. The Chinese are lobbying for it because they think they'll be able to dominate it like they dominate the other diving that involves a diving board and a pool.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says… "Sigmund I can't tell if you are joking, serious, or creating a satire like, oh, Voltaire or Swift."

Who cares what I think, what do YOU think Irish? Good idea or bad idea to tax dumpster diving?

Ken Lassman 5 years, 7 months ago

Um...how to collect the tax???? Maybe throw some change into the dumpster? Install little yellow boxes on dumpsters like they have on parking meters to pay your ticket? Or maybe just forget installing them on dumpsters and throw some change in the little yellow ticket boxes when you remember to?

sheesh. We reduce the amount of trash that has to be hauled to the dump, decrease our collective carbon footprint by re-using stuff and reducing the amount of energy needed to make and transport new stuff, decrease the amount of resources squandered to make new stuff somewhere else and having to transport it here, etc. etc. And just because someone is too lazy to have a yard sale doesn't mean it can't be used by someone else.

Now go walk an alley and see what you can salvage.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 7 months ago

Sigmund ... don't come up with new ways for the government to collect taxes. They're too grabby as it is.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

DougCounty (Anonymous) says… "Um…how to collect the tax????"

Great point, we will tax the dumpster owner based upon the quality of the stuff they throw away. It will be up to them to collect the tax from those they entice into diving into their dumpsters! We could use the money for children's health care, a very noble cause. Or the save the polar bears, equally noble.

stellamaris 5 years, 7 months ago

I like free, too! You can find all sorts of things at the ends of people's driveways, that have no trash juice whatsoever on it. I don't mind either way if others do it, more free stuff for me!

flux 5 years, 7 months ago

We used to wait until KFC threw all the chicken away at the end of the shift. Then we would dive in and chow down

Dayle Hodges 5 years, 7 months ago

I guess I should let it be known that my furniture finds have been found "next to" dumpsters. I'm not much for "trash juice" either....

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

Sigmund (Anonymous) says…

---hmmm, is Merrill hacked in to Sigmund's account at the ljworld?

Scattered 5 years, 7 months ago

Here is my hilarious dumpster diving story:

A few years ago I was visiting my (grown) children in Lawrence, when I witnessed a young man dumpster diving. He came out with only one item.....some roses in a vase. He got out, carefully looked them over, and drove away with a big smile. I chuckled all evening imagining how delighted his beloved would be with "her" gift!

Rabbitgoesthump 5 years, 7 months ago

Hell yhea, I got a 75 gallon fish aquarium, a working treadmill, and lots of other great stuff.....

TheStonesSuck 5 years, 7 months ago

Most of my L town friends can be found in a dumpster if the moon is right

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Uh, multi, hate to break this to you but I think the top two pictures are of "his" legs.... ;)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Uh, no... actually, I would be the sought treasure in the third pic. (Yeah, white trash.)

George_Braziller 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't actively dig through the dumpsters but if there is a treasure sitting on top of, or next to, the dumpster I'll grab it. One time as I was driving home I saw a mountain bike in a dumpster. Drove the 1/2 block home to park, walked back to get it, and it was already gone.