Previous   Next

Who do you think makes the best french fries?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 13, 2009

Browse the archives

IHOP. I like the seasoning on them.”

“McDonald’s. I think the taste is just incredible.”

“Gran-Daddy’s BBQ. Their french fries are good and real.”

“Free State. They’re big, not like the McDonald’s squishy little french fries, and they’re not too greasy.”

Comments

trinity 6 years, 1 month ago

anyplace that serves sweet potato fries. well, almost anyplace 'cos i'm sure somebody could screw those up-but for the most part, mmmmmmm-love 'em!

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Can't eat them anymore... But if I did it would be Micky Dees

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 1 month ago

Local Burger has good fries if you can get past the crazy prices of everything else. Sweet potato fries are good too. McD's fries would be ok if they would just let the customer decide how much salt to use. It is almost like they have stock in a salt mine or something.

townie79 6 years, 1 month ago

Potato Ole's from Taco John's WITH a side of Nacho Cheese!!!

3crookedhearts 6 years, 1 month ago

The truffle & parmesan fries at Ten are out of this world. Vermont St.'s seasoned fries are superb. For "fast food" you can't do much better than Five Guys or Culvers.

Music_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

Spangles and Free State both have good fries.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

Runza has great fries and bacon cheese burgers. I'm hungry, who buying?

bombshell 6 years, 1 month ago

Vermont St BBQ's sweet potato fries.... although Dempsey's new sweet potato fries are equally as good, even with the cinnamon they sprinkle on top, they're still good but I like Vermont Street's the most!

schula 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm with Blue and Catfish -- Runza has the best fries!

Kat Christian 6 years, 1 month ago

Angler's waffle fries....mmmmmmm they taste clean, crispy and flavorful - not like cardboard

meggers 6 years, 1 month ago

Jim, the health care administrator, gushing about McDonald's fries? Anyone else see the irony in that?

I like those waffle fries from Chick Fil A. Does anyplace in Lawrence have something similar?

hawklet21 6 years, 1 month ago

For fast food, I just can't not say McDonald's. I especially love the super greasy ones (hey, I don't eat there often, so I've got to go all out.) I loooovvvee me some sweet potato fries too! There's a little joint in Westport-Blanc Burgers and Bottles-that makes really good sweet potato fries. They serve 'em up in a little shopping cart, and there is enough for 2-3 people in one order.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

Burger Kings and the Sonics that have the coated fries. Those are damn good. Just because McDonalds is in with JR Simplot doesn't make their fries the best.

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

Who makes the best french fries? The Belgians, ironically. They serve them hot and with mayonnaise. Get 'em from the street vendors.

TobiasFunke 6 years, 1 month ago

West Coast Saloon has damn good fries (and burgers).

GreenEyedBlues 6 years, 1 month ago

I love that a health care administrator is offering his two cents on the "incredible" taste of McDonald's french fries.

ROFL

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Outback's bacon cheese fries and Chik Fil A's waffle fries

Jillster 6 years, 1 month ago

Another vote for Runza. Their crinkle-cut fries are crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, and always perfect!

guesswho 6 years, 1 month ago

meggers - there is a chick-filet on campus in Wescoe Hall eatery (Underground, I believe it is called) for your waffle fry cravings. But parking is always a problem.

OzChicklet 6 years, 1 month ago

Set 'em Up Jacks has the best fries! Thick steak fries, crinkle fries, sweet potato fries! Hot and crispy! Your choice! I prefer them without the special seasoning. Used to like McDonald's but can't eat them now because they have wheat in them and I have been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 1 month ago

Johnny's Tavern until they got cheap with their food quality. They used to cut their own fries and the were awesome. Now they have those awful school lunch fries and burgers... finger down throat...

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

The Salt Mine in Baldwin City..... they also have good pork tenders, grilled (not deep fat fried)

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Does McDonalds still sweeten their fries with sugar?

"McDonald's fries, for example, are briefly dipped in a sugar solution, which gives them their golden-brown color; Burger King fries are dipped in a starch batter, which is what gives those fries their distinctive hard shell and audible crunch."

abw2102 6 years, 1 month ago

The McDonald's website lists dextrose as an ingredient in their french fries, as well as beef flavor. Mmmm...sugary, beefy, potatoes.

jackpot 6 years, 1 month ago

Give me In N Out fries. Or McD's before they changed to frozen, before they sold the first 1,000,000 they used fresh cut fries. Ok I know I'm old!

Connacht 6 years, 1 month ago

"France - they make 'em with love."

They're okay, but not great in most places I've had them in France.

Being a Belgian invention, calling them "Freedom Fries" only gave further justification to the American stereotype as the ignorant warmonger. Fortunately, I was always mistaken for being British or German while in France.