Previous   Next

Do you have a strategy for repelling mosquitoes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 11, 2009

Browse the archives

“Just DEET.”

“The only strategy I have is staying indoors”

“Yes. Eat garlic”

“I would actually rub garlic on my skin”

Comments

Crossfire 5 years, 7 months ago

I cover bowling pins with blood and when the 'skeeters land on them I throw the ball at them. This really confuses the little buggers and they fly off to Topeka.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

I must stink.... they don't bother me..

number3of5 5 years, 7 months ago

I rub an ointment made from stinky chamomile on my skin when I have to be outside for a long period of time and this repels the mosquitos. If I do get bit by one, I use an ointment made from olive oil, parafin, and plantain to relieve the itch.

KSChick1 5 years, 7 months ago

yep, keep a dryer sheet on or near me. sometimes stuff part of one into my pocket. you can't even tell it's there but the mosquitos stay away

classclown 5 years, 7 months ago

Drain and pave over swamps.

Someone had to say it.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Flashback to Ft. Riley: I recall being warned not to get Army-issue mosquito repellant on the stock on my rifle because it would dissolve the finish.....

50YearResident 5 years, 7 months ago

At sundown I retire to my screened in porch, they can't get me there.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

MD, other than having wild foxes follow me around, my life is pretty solitary.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

The Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

kmat 5 years, 7 months ago

There are some really good natural sprays out now that work a lot better than the deet sprays. They're available at most regular stores. They smell a lot better too than the chemical sprays.

If you have any standing water that you can't do anything about, pour a little bit of veggie oil in it. It creates a oil layer on the top of the water and it suffocates any mosquito larva.

Jaylee 5 years, 7 months ago

RRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 7 months ago

Turn off the AC inside and set up a fan to blow on the body.

Notice mosquitos are not around on windy days so create some wind and enjoy yourself.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 7 months ago

Architectural lighting must pay pretty well. Looks like Cody from LA is able to travel with his own travel nurse. Kind of a nod to the days of rail road and steel barrons.

mommyof1angel 5 years, 7 months ago

Skin So Soft by Avon is the best stuff for repelling mosquitoes. My daughter swells up terribly if she's bitten, but if I spray that on her before she plays outside or goes to school her skin is nice and conditioned, and she stays free of ant, chigger and mosquito bites.

gphawk89 5 years, 7 months ago

3M Ultrathon Cutter Bug Free backyard

Janet Lowther 5 years, 7 months ago

Population control: Buy dragonfly nymphs to get a population established in the pond. Purple martins and red-wing blackbirds help a lot too. Not to mention mosquito fish, though they croak and have to be replaced when the pond drys up and refills a couple or three times over a summer.

B-12 vitamins help.

When all else fails, DEET.

BTW: Bug Zappers do NOT work on mosquitoes. Moths, yes, and maybe flys, but not mosquitoes. There are mosquito trapswhich work, but they use CO2 from burning propane rather than UV light. The CO2 lures 'em in, then they get sucked up. Those work, but they go through a lot of propane over a summer.

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

"Speaking of bat houses..I've seen plans and thought about making some. Do the bats just show up later…as in build it and they will come?"

The bats are no problem, but if you get enough of them then eventually you start getting the Batboys, then the Batmen, and it's all downhill from there.

As for the question, I just dodge. I are faster than they.

George_Braziller 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't really have mosquitoes in my yard and I only live two blocks from the Kaw. There are enough birds, bats, toads, and dragonflys to take care of them because I've created a garden environment where there is a balance of predators and prey.

You do however HAVE to dump still, standing water. A couple of inches of rainwater sitting in a bucket for a couple of weeks is a nursery for them.

GardenMomma 5 years, 7 months ago

I remember my cousins telling my sister and I that if we let the mosquito bite us without swatting at it, we wouldn't get the itchy, red bumps.

fourkitties 5 years, 7 months ago

chemotherapy works real well. Had cancer back in 97' had chemo all summer long, not one bite the entire time. I was just too icky.

Bucker00 5 years, 7 months ago

Blue73harley beat me too it. Put in a purple martin quality or two and let nature take care of nature. They're gorgeous birds too, although you have to be vigilante with your colony lest sparrows and starlings take them over.

Bucker00 5 years, 7 months ago

Purple martin quality? I meant colony. I plead pre-coffee jitters,

notajayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I walk around reading aloud from the award-winning LJW message boards. Seems to keep them away.

(Unfortunately it doesn't work for illegal-alien mosquitoes - I need to learn to read aloud in Spanish.)

BTW, is it 'mosquitoes' or 'mosquitos?' Should we ask Dan Quayle?