Previous   Next

When did you first learn about money?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 5, 2009

Browse the archives

“My parents started me off on an allowance … and I learned if you buy the cheap toy, it’s going to break, so save your money and buy the better-quality toy later.”

“When I didn’t have any.”

“My parents owned a hardware store, so I learned to run the cash register when I was 6 or 7.”

“When I wanted ice cream from the ice cream man, but my parents wouldn’t give me any (money) … we had to go mow lawns and pull dandelions to earn money for ice cream.”

Related story

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 11 months ago

"When did you first learn about money?"

During the time that I was held hostage at the hosptial in which I was born.

My parents were very young; 18 and 19, virtually broke and I was held as collateral in lieu of paying the bill.

As a hostage, I was forced to live in the courtyard with wolves until I was siprited away one dark and stormy night by my father and his brother, who tossed me into the rumble seat of my father's '32 Chevy coupe in which they then stormed away, chased by the nuns and a few guys in black dresses.

Still don't understand that black dress thing.

I think the bill was finally paid though.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

xbus, thanks for the laugh. I told her I had to ask my consultants. LOL. She kept tossing all these numbers at me over the phone. Heck if I can't move my money around like poker chips, I get too confused. I think I'll take it all out in quarters. Not that much of it anyway. Now where did I put my Mason jars? I can just see that damn squirrel digging them up and hauling them up that old oak tree, shaking them when the cat dozes off in the window. He's a crafty one he is.

Of course I could throw some out in the yard and hope for sex. ;)

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

The Edison would be an upgrade..............

:-p

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't do it Roe.... that edison is way cooler than anything else.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

xbusguy, thinking of upgrading my equipment ......

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says… prospector, "Molon Labe!"

R_I , Guess I've led a sheltered life! Never heard that one before, definitely a keeper, going up on the wall as we speak!

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

MD: Those CD things are not all they are cracked up to be.......I still prefer the old 33 speed records.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

So, if you Suze Orman/expert types had a small stack of chips to stick away for a little while, would you put them in:

several 11mth CDs for quicker access or

do 1-2 of the above and put more chips in a couple of small 4-5 year CDs, or

one bigger 5 yr CD knowing you couldn't get into it if all heck breaks loose in these uncertain times?

Those time amounts being what the deals are right now.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

autie, Lorencez was too a thin little pancake eater, born in Paris of nobility. He just forgot the golden rule...
Never run out of ammo.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

Not even a real battle, even though there were lots of casualties. Dazed and confused pancake eaters, lost on the way home lead by incompetent non french guy. I hope we are having burritos for supper and then an extended siesta.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

R_I, I don't need a reason to celebrate when the Maibock is flowing. I guess I could have a Bison Taco or Carne Asada and avoid the French Fries, would that count?

Tony Kisner 4 years, 11 months ago

I learned about resentment and money at the same time. As a youth driving in our new used car through the rich side of town I noticed all the fair haired childern with their fancy ball gloves and braces. Tampolines in the back yard and a bike not from Sears. Then I new I resented them and not so much the money but the stuff you can get with it. Now the Dems are going to help me have my day in the land of milk and honey.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

No Cinco De Mayo posts? I don't see the inter-comments ads, so my version of the paper looks 'south of the border free" today and that's unusual.

sassypants 4 years, 11 months ago

R_I, thanks for the laugh on my comment. Nothing like spoiling the mood by having a kid beating on the door or the damn phone ringing off the wall.

75x55 4 years, 11 months ago

Money for pulling dandelions?!

Dandelion prejudice.... it's starts with just this kind of brainwashing of the young..... ; )

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

prospector, Are you celebrating the The Battle of Puebla and the victory over those thin little pancake eaters today?

lawrence_kansas_usa 4 years, 11 months ago

When I got my first paper route at 9 years of age.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

R_I, it looks to me like our government wants to kill the independent auto mechanics of our nation. Just keep making cars disposable and stuffing foreign products down our throats. To legislate sustainable vehicles would be better for us.

You can have my truck when you unwrap my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

A rice cooker is a miracle with a cord. I am utterly amazed everytime I plug it in.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

sassypants, Your hubby had to pay for sex?

sassypants 4 years, 11 months ago

When my siblings and I were younger and Dad would throw out a hand full of change in our yard. Wow, free money. It would take us awhile to find it all. That was his way of getting rid of kids so he could have sex with mom. Worked for our kids too. Hee Hee.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

My granddaughter who is graduating as an econ major knows far more about money then I ever will. But, check this out. My daughter and I went to see Wolverine, great movie, you have to see it, really, and we had forgot the first one. So we went to Hastings to buy the movie, I never rent, to refresh our memory. With the movie came a coupon for five bucks to use for the next movie. Since I am a senior that means I pay one dollar to see a matinee. While I was at Hastings I also got Seven Pounds. I cried all the way though it.

coolmom 4 years, 11 months ago

i figured out at about 8 years old that i didnt have any...then i had children and figured out that it was okay to have just enough.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 11 months ago

When I was about 7 yrs. old, there was a dept. store in Groton CT called Vality's. The restroom, I discovered, required a dime to get in. After eating a huge hot fudge sundae at the old style lunch counter (like FWW had) I had a serious need to go #2, and had to track down my mom to get a dime. I then realized the value of money. I made it just in time too!

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Tossing that chalk from hand to hand? Yep.

Practicality 4 years, 11 months ago

"West Jr High in 1972 "

Was J.D. Clevenger there in 1972 as a football/P.E. coach?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

Someone sent me a PM with the info, thanks. Someone is in there a few classes away from me in school and I was trying to see what for. Like I don't already have a good idea, but just curious. Poor thing never have much of a chance really. Sad. Well on the road to ruin at West Jr High in 1972 and within a year or two there was no turning back from what I hear.

Practicality 4 years, 11 months ago

Ha, at least half of these posters on here still haven't learned about money. They think it grows on trees in Washington D.C.

Multi,

It is possible to be in custody in Dg. County and not be in the KDOC files. That KASPER website only has the people who have been given a KDOC number and I don't believe they keep them in the system after they max out their time/parole sentence. (Could be wrong though). Anyway, I know I was trying to find someone from the 90's one time and hadn't any luck. Who are you looking for? Could it be they are being held from another state and that is why you can't find them?

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

Wonder if Rachelle chose the genetics major to get rid of dandelions? I can hear her now.... "gotta be a better way than pulling these damn things."

trinity 4 years, 11 months ago

whew there i am...didn't think i'd done anything wrong!

only thing i know about money-it flows through my fingers like water. hard come easy go...

trinity 4 years, 11 months ago

ok i am disappeareded???? posted earlier, it isn't here! wah.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

I still have yet to learn about money.

I learned of money quite young. One needed it for pop, taco flavored doritos and chicken liver.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

How was the crappie feast last night?

Great... had to hurry before the beer got em.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

oh xbus, there's a prodandy lte today. How was the crappie feast last night?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

I know I knew about money before I have many conscious memories. Thus probably just around age 3-4 because I was doing door to door sales at that time. Mom was really really angry because I was a lllong way from home. And this morning I'm feeling so good I'm not feeling too bad about that. toothy wicked smile

Off topic. Help me out here. How can an inmate be 'In custody" here in DG CO, but not on the KDOC list? I'm not talking someone just booked either .At least not in the last 6 days, I haven't looked back further than that.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Lately I'm learning more and more about having less and less......

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

If only Rachell and that weedy lady could get together....problem solved.

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

It grows on trees, right?

When I took Economics 140 and Business 240 as a sophomore.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 11 months ago

when i realized how much you had to spend on a girl to get laid.

Donnuts 4 years, 11 months ago

I remember counting pennies and putting them in stacks to put in the paper rolls they used to hand out at the bank. My dad had a business and soon let me earn some of the rolls.

Learning about money is a concept, sometimes I am not sure I know as much about money as I think I might.