Previous   Next

When did you first learn about money?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 5, 2009

Browse the archives

“My parents started me off on an allowance … and I learned if you buy the cheap toy, it’s going to break, so save your money and buy the better-quality toy later.”

“When I didn’t have any.”

“My parents owned a hardware store, so I learned to run the cash register when I was 6 or 7.”

“When I wanted ice cream from the ice cream man, but my parents wouldn’t give me any (money) … we had to go mow lawns and pull dandelions to earn money for ice cream.”

Related story

Comments

shadowbox66044 6 years ago

when i realized how much you had to spend on a girl to get laid.

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

If only Rachell and that weedy lady could get together....problem solved.

RoeDapple 6 years ago

Lately I'm learning more and more about having less and less......

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

How was the crappie feast last night?

Great... had to hurry before the beer got em.

trinity 6 years ago

ok i am disappeareded???? posted earlier, it isn't here! wah.

trinity 6 years ago

whew there i am...didn't think i'd done anything wrong!

only thing i know about money-it flows through my fingers like water. hard come easy go...

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

Wonder if Rachelle chose the genetics major to get rid of dandelions? I can hear her now.... "gotta be a better way than pulling these damn things."

Practicality 6 years ago

Ha, at least half of these posters on here still haven't learned about money. They think it grows on trees in Washington D.C.

Multi,

It is possible to be in custody in Dg. County and not be in the KDOC files. That KASPER website only has the people who have been given a KDOC number and I don't believe they keep them in the system after they max out their time/parole sentence. (Could be wrong though). Anyway, I know I was trying to find someone from the 90's one time and hadn't any luck. Who are you looking for? Could it be they are being held from another state and that is why you can't find them?

Practicality 6 years ago

"West Jr High in 1972 "

Was J.D. Clevenger there in 1972 as a football/P.E. coach?

coolmom 6 years ago

i figured out at about 8 years old that i didnt have any...then i had children and figured out that it was okay to have just enough.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

My granddaughter who is graduating as an econ major knows far more about money then I ever will. But, check this out. My daughter and I went to see Wolverine, great movie, you have to see it, really, and we had forgot the first one. So we went to Hastings to buy the movie, I never rent, to refresh our memory. With the movie came a coupon for five bucks to use for the next movie. Since I am a senior that means I pay one dollar to see a matinee. While I was at Hastings I also got Seven Pounds. I cried all the way though it.

sassypants 6 years ago

When my siblings and I were younger and Dad would throw out a hand full of change in our yard. Wow, free money. It would take us awhile to find it all. That was his way of getting rid of kids so he could have sex with mom. Worked for our kids too. Hee Hee.

lawrence_kansas_usa 6 years ago

When I got my first paper route at 9 years of age.

sassypants 6 years ago

R_I, thanks for the laugh on my comment. Nothing like spoiling the mood by having a kid beating on the door or the damn phone ringing off the wall.

Tony Kisner 6 years ago

I learned about resentment and money at the same time. As a youth driving in our new used car through the rich side of town I noticed all the fair haired childern with their fancy ball gloves and braces. Tampolines in the back yard and a bike not from Sears. Then I new I resented them and not so much the money but the stuff you can get with it. Now the Dems are going to help me have my day in the land of milk and honey.

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

MD: Those CD things are not all they are cracked up to be.......I still prefer the old 33 speed records.

RoeDapple 6 years ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says… prospector, "Molon Labe!"

R_I , Guess I've led a sheltered life! Never heard that one before, definitely a keeper, going up on the wall as we speak!

RoeDapple 6 years ago

xbusguy, thinking of upgrading my equipment ......

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

I wouldn't do it Roe.... that edison is way cooler than anything else.

RoeDapple 6 years ago

The Edison would be an upgrade..............

:-p