Previous   Next

Do you think you spend too much on housing?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 4, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I live with my parents, but I think my parents pay a little too much.”

“No. I think housing prices have come down quite a bit actually in the last 18 months, and I think it’s reasonable now.”

“I think it’s fair.”

“No. I’m living in my own house and don’t have a house payment.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

Only until they open the homeless campground along the river.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

I was raised an eastsider, in a very small home with 3 sistors, and one bathroom.

Now I live alone, in a house with 3 bathrooms, with property taxes costing more than that eastsider home my Dad bought 50 years ago.

I think he was on to something.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

autie- should be a good crappie day. What else can a man ask for? (besides shrooms)

staff04 5 years, 5 months ago

My rent is outrageous, and the place I am in is priced about $300/month below market.

Oh, for the Lawrence days where my first apartment (2b/1ba-ca. 1998) was $395/month and my last apartment (2b/1ba-ca. 2003) was $440/month.

The first place was kind of a dump, but the second was dated, but really clean and an easy walk to either campus or downtown!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Good one, RI by the way,,,, Poop is still poop, and fecal matter is what important people say.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Nope, we pay less than studio apartment prices for 2 big bedrooms, 1 and a half baths, and a huge loft.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

So, the nurse owns her house outright? Lucky girl!

lawrence_kansas_usa 5 years, 5 months ago

Prospector,

Very cheap (swell) houses west of Salina, you say?

Great! But if you buy one of them....what then? What's there to see and/or do out that way?

Music_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

I think rentals are too high, especially near campus. Had a couple of friends who lived in a 2 bed/1 bath that couldn't hold heat or cold air for anything and there were such big gaps in the cabinets and walls that you could feel cold or hot hair pouring in from outside and they paid nearly $600/mo for the pit.

staff04 5 years, 5 months ago

MD, watch out, or Marion the animal lover will be all over you for your celebration! ;)

persevering_gal 5 years, 5 months ago

For apartment housing, YES! I can't wait to get out of Lawrence next year!

lawrence_kansas_usa 5 years, 5 months ago

prospector,

Thanks for the info!

And, actually.....there is something to be said about "life on the plains"....and not all of it is bad! lol

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

"xbus. You might consider a roommate. Probably better hearing than the watchdog."

That's who borrowed my stuff.... no thanks, I'll stick to the poochies and "fecal matter" (Poop) in the back yard.

labmonkey 5 years, 5 months ago

If Jordan is thrown out on the street, at least she can keep out of the weather by holding her sunglasses over her head.

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Way too much. Rentals in this town are insanely priced. Why rent a house to a family that has maybe two incomes when you can rent same house to 4 people with incomes and charge twice as much. Topeka is much cheaper but I prefer Lawrence because of the schools and there's less violence here. Most of the time, anyway.