Previous   Next

Do you think you spend too much on housing?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 4, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I live with my parents, but I think my parents pay a little too much.”

“No. I think housing prices have come down quite a bit actually in the last 18 months, and I think it’s reasonable now.”

“I think it’s fair.”

“No. I’m living in my own house and don’t have a house payment.”

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

Way too much. Rentals in this town are insanely priced. Why rent a house to a family that has maybe two incomes when you can rent same house to 4 people with incomes and charge twice as much. Topeka is much cheaper but I prefer Lawrence because of the schools and there's less violence here. Most of the time, anyway.

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

If Jordan is thrown out on the street, at least she can keep out of the weather by holding her sunglasses over her head.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

"xbus. You might consider a roommate. Probably better hearing than the watchdog."

That's who borrowed my stuff.... no thanks, I'll stick to the poochies and "fecal matter" (Poop) in the back yard.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

staff, you missed the sad face. Celebrate me not, but I do understand the need to cull. I like when they transplant the colony. That sounds like something I really would have loved to have done as under..35er. Goes right along with my copperhead hunting days. You know, I was just following in my dad and brother's sainted (snort) footsteps..but now I think I understand why my mom didn't care for me all that much She probably could have stood a little less anxiety from the last child, ya think?

lawrence_kansas_usa 4 years, 11 months ago

prospector,

Thanks for the info!

And, actually.....there is something to be said about "life on the plains"....and not all of it is bad! lol

persevering_gal 4 years, 11 months ago

For apartment housing, YES! I can't wait to get out of Lawrence next year!

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

Lawrence, you can pick one with a gas station/quick shop, bar/burger joint, cafe, and hardware/anything store. That would be one of the thriving communities. The best deals are in the towns that all that is left is the Post Office and shuttered storefronts. Towns with 100-200+ houses in them with more than half sitting empty. Usually you have at least a thirty mile round trip to a small grocery store and an hour one way to Wally World.

What to do? You have to be able to make your own fun. It is nice in that you don't have to put on your pants to grab wood for the stove off of the porch.

You can look around here under "cities and towns" or by county:

These folks are begging. So many towns will bend over backwards for young blood. The median age in Smith Center is 68.

staff04 4 years, 11 months ago

MD, watch out, or Marion the animal lover will be all over you for your celebration! ;)

Music_Girl 4 years, 11 months ago

I think rentals are too high, especially near campus. Had a couple of friends who lived in a 2 bed/1 bath that couldn't hold heat or cold air for anything and there were such big gaps in the cabinets and walls that you could feel cold or hot hair pouring in from outside and they paid nearly $600/mo for the pit.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

T_O_B, Prairie dog watching... Just before the boom?

Might be going Friday.

ocean 4 years, 11 months ago

my house payment is too much. but the real problem is the real estate tax of $200 per month. about $112 per month for the school district.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 11 months ago

It is possible to own your home I have no payment. Some people can pay cash. However, that does not mean you are home free. Things happen. You can become ill, injured. You too can once again be a renter or homeless someday.

TOB..watching grass grow, watching people cut it and cattle grazing has it virtues too. Vultures. Don't forget those lovely ladies.

xbus. You might consider a roommate. Probably better hearing than the watchdog.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 11 months ago

Irish - I took that as she lived with her parents. Her answer confused me as well.

Lawrence - Don't underestimate the awesomeness of prairie dog watching.

lawrence_kansas_usa 4 years, 11 months ago

Prospector,

Very cheap (swell) houses west of Salina, you say?

Great! But if you buy one of them....what then? What's there to see and/or do out that way?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

So, the nurse owns her house outright? Lucky girl!

prospector 4 years, 11 months ago

Living in the mine pays.

Let me be the first to say it, if you are thinking yes, move to Topeka. If you want something for about what you are paying in property tax, keep going west. Swell houses for less than 10K in every small town west of Salina.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

Nope, we pay less than studio apartment prices for 2 big bedrooms, 1 and a half baths, and a huge loft.

ocean 4 years, 11 months ago

bong hits for month to month rentals.

ocean 4 years, 11 months ago

only on that overpriced apartment in Paris.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

Good one, RI by the way,,,, Poop is still poop, and fecal matter is what important people say.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

x-bus, What else can a man ask for?

Canine fecal matter free farmer's markets, and you know... Princess Leia not actually being your sister.

staff04 4 years, 11 months ago

My rent is outrageous, and the place I am in is priced about $300/month below market.

Oh, for the Lawrence days where my first apartment (2b/1ba-ca. 1998) was $395/month and my last apartment (2b/1ba-ca. 2003) was $440/month.

The first place was kind of a dump, but the second was dated, but really clean and an easy walk to either campus or downtown!

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

autie- should be a good crappie day. What else can a man ask for? (besides shrooms)

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

It must be a holiday. The sun is shining and there is not a cloud in the sky. For now anyway.

blue73harley 4 years, 11 months ago

With the O-man in charge, I think I spend too much on housing for OTHERS.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

autie, T_O_B,

May the 4th be with you!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 11 months ago

No. I'm still waiting for Obama to make my house payment, but since he now going to keep Gitmo open and the military tribunals running, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Happy Star Wars Day!

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

Not sure but some of those look a little more like welding goggles.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 11 months ago

Ahhh, inching closer to summer. The insectoid sunglasses are in full force.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

I was raised an eastsider, in a very small home with 3 sistors, and one bathroom.

Now I live alone, in a house with 3 bathrooms, with property taxes costing more than that eastsider home my Dad bought 50 years ago.

I think he was on to something.

autie 4 years, 11 months ago

Not at all. But then prices are cheaper in the southern provinces. Got locked in on some low interest when we had the chance.

sgtwolverine 4 years, 11 months ago

Only until they open the homeless campground along the river.