Previous   Next

Did you have a mentor growing up?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 30, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, my pastor. He saw some promise in me and also some wildness, naturally.”

“I did — my high school debate and forensics coach. He taught me a lot about speaking in public and how to carry yourself as a human being.”

“No, I really didn’t. I didn’t need one.”

“Yes I did, my mother. She taught me pretty much how to deal with any situation calmly, in some cases.”

Related story

Comments

shadowbox66044 5 years, 9 months ago

Ron Jeremy, without him, I just couldn't do it in life. Thanks Ron.

H_Lecter 5 years, 9 months ago

No, but I had a lot of unsupervised time and a very consuming selection of instructional books.

(thanks for the chuckle Shadow)

canyon_wren 5 years, 9 months ago

When I was growing up, we didn't have such "cutesy" words as "mentor." Everything has to have some sort of socio-psychological term now, of course. There were quite a few people in my life, however, that gave me a lot of help along the way.

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

"Grabbed it for $15 but would have paid much more!"

Money left over to put in it!

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

Will always regret not kidnapping Bill Gates and raising him as my own......

:-/

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

agree with canyon wren and tob; there were some really nice older folks in the neighborhood who really helped me along the way, plus believe it or not a very kind librarian lady. i'm grateful for 'em all.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

or maybe a better answer would be-yes i had a mentor growing up, but what with the strong winds&all, mentor is now growing somewhat sideways.

ok i am done. ;)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 9 months ago

I think it's sad that of the four above, two had no one. One of them convinced themselves they didn't need one. That's unfortunate.

We all need people to help us grow. I'm in my 40's and still have/need/ and am looking for mentors.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 9 months ago

McCain has always been a mentor of mine....but there was also Jim Thorpe, Jim Ryan, Poe, D.H. Lawrence, Lennon, Yoko, my aunt.....and now I have view......hum mm....no wonder I am such a strange combination of personality types.... oh, guess I was thinking more idol then mentor.....and multi...she is a present day mentor.... ;)

kandyce07 5 years, 9 months ago

Just to clarify for OldEnuf and my own peace of mind...I was asked and did answer this question and most assuredly I did NOT give my own name as the answer. I was lucky enough to have a brilliant mentor and friend in my high school debate coach. He was a fair, kind and patient person who was a blessing to each student he taught. I would have liked to see the LJWorld print my actual response and have requested that they do so. Thanks!

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

In other news, Tiger Woods won the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday.

"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply," Tiger Woods said on his Web site. "I'm overwhelmed when I think of all of the great things he accomplished in his life. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend. I wouldn't be where I am today without him, and I'm honored to continue his legacy of sharing and caring."

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

"Just what would be the most embarrassing OTS to have them print the person's name as the answer?"

The other one for today probably qualifies.

"What is your favorite food?"

Ronda Miller 5 years, 9 months ago

ret, it is Ms. Rodanda to you...and it is actually Ronaldo.....hum..mm...what is it with you and spelling....under achiever...

sarah is hot...and don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like her...Sorry...too much Zumba...

multi, did you say sued or screwed or shrewd?

Saying with autie now, "let it go..let it go...let it go" McCain lost..he will not have another chance to be President...he is an old man....he will not go down in history as President McCain...let it go...let it go..... Okay, (breathing sigh of relief).....I have let it go......I am empty of McCain now...but I see/saw an apple sitting in the street by the curb that just got ran over....and it reminded me of McCain...a good apple...just left sitting there...alone...rotting......so sad.....

Music_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

My high school band teacher. He taught me how to stand up for myself and how to use my talents as a musician and a good person to get through life. Also my aunt, she has been a source of knowledge and is not afraid to tell me like it is even I don't want to it hear.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 9 months ago

I never really had a mentor....guess that explains what is wrong with me.......

There were a lot of things my mother did for us growing up that I want to continue with my kids but then again, there are a lot of things I do differently......

Ronda Miller 5 years, 9 months ago

well, multi, the article does refer to her as, "photogenic....and a former beauty pageant contestant" not that any of those things work well for becoming President..unless you were Ronald Regan...just trying to bring gnomie out to play! :)

TacoBob 5 years, 9 months ago

Wally!

Haven't seen him for 30 years. Used to hang out occassionaly with the roomies at the house on the outskirts of southeast Lawrence. He was a hoot.

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

Mentor? No.

I was shaped by a series of womentor and, more recently, left randomly demented by one particular womantor.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

my dad was a real mentor to me, he died when I was sixteen, I was in high school electronics then. my electronics teacher for the last two years of my time was wonderful. understanding, supportive. Thank God for him.

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

yes thanks to big brothers and big sisters and my junior high and high school teachers.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 9 months ago

Well that explains consumer1 now...excuses, excuses..

roe, great link...my boob brothers will enjoy that one!

marion and view....great minds think alike? nah....creep me out? :)

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

creepin' Ronda out is it not what I'm about? (and makin' her shout)

Reuben Turner 5 years, 9 months ago

my mother; but what really kept me on track was the fear of them whippings she would hand out occassionally.