Previous   Next

Do you play the lottery?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 29, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I do not. I was raised Southern Baptist, and it isn’t on my radar”

“It depends on how bad the week is (going).”

“Maybe once or twice every couple of months. If it’s up there, I’ll buy one.”

“No, I do not. I believe it’s a waste of money.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Ya can't win if ya don't play................

viewfromahill 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm quite sure the lottery is playing me.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

No, just Russian Roulette. In fact, I'm playing right n

elfth 5 years, 8 months ago

Lottery = retirement plan for the mathamaticly challenged.

TacoBob 5 years, 8 months ago

As Ross Perot once said, the lottery is a tax on stupid people.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

I live in Lawrence, does that count...

HermioneElliott 5 years, 8 months ago

Never thought about it. Every dollar I have is a precious thing to me. I'm watching my funds like a mother her child.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't play to win. I play for the entertainment value. I purchase lottery tickets as gifts to place in birthday cards, kind of an all or nothing gift that is appreciated according to the size of the current jackpot. As I said, not to win but because somebody will. Maybe me, maybe someone I care about.

Mixolydian 5 years, 8 months ago

I get my mom 50 bucks in the scratch cards for Christmas every year. She loves to play those. She'll sit there on Christmas and accumulate a little pile of scratch card shavings at her feet and have a high old time. She's never won anything to justify the cost of the gift, but if it makes her happy....

tir 5 years, 8 months ago

My mom, who lives in another state, won a substantial prize on a scratch-off ticket once, which she has put to good use fixing up her house. She is a frugal person by nature and doesn't normally waste money, but still likes to buy scratch-off tickets because she hopes she'll win big again. I have never won more than $5 on scratch-offs, but I'll buy a powerball ticket every now and then, just for the fun of imagining what I would do with the money if I won. It's good to imagine.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

At least when I buy a lottery ticket... I can scratch and sniff..... Hell, that's more fun than throwing away NCCA bracket after the first round.... and they both cost me about the same. .

Deja Coffin 5 years, 8 months ago

My husband works for the lottery so we don't play. BUT......the more people play the better bonus for him. So keep playing that lottery. Someone's bound to be a winner, why not you?

HermioneElliott 5 years, 8 months ago

I never thought about buying them as a gift. I buy a Sub every time I am at Walmart. The same amount spent on lottery tickets would probably be better for me. I don't want to see someone lose a bonus because I was a cheapskate-so-so-okay. Now every one rush out to Wal-Mart and shop so my daughter can get her bonus. Turn about is fair play.

JayCat_67 5 years, 8 months ago

Nah, used to go to bingo with Grandma when she was still around though. Quickest way to make a little old lady swear is to yell "BINGO!"

HermioneElliott 5 years, 8 months ago

I started out thinking of buying a lottery ticket as a really bad idea. Now I like the idea. I am way to malleable.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

RoeDapple (Anonymous) says…

So, when is your birthday Hermi ?

;-]

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 8 months ago

I was raised by a gambler so you know the answer. Besides I waste money on pop or candy everyday.

Bob Forer 5 years, 8 months ago

My ex-fiance's parents won the Florida lottery several years ago. Don't know how much but it was several million,. Didn't change them a bit. They were unhappy miserable people before they won; and unhappy, miserable people afterwards,.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 8 months ago

Hermione you keep buying lottery tickets and I'll keep shopping at Walmart.....sounds like a win/win situation to me!

I played Bingo for a school fundraiser recently and learned that unless you're 60+ don't count on winning.