Previous   Next

What’s your favorite snack food when watching KU basketball?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on March 25, 2009

Browse the archives

“Popcorn with parmesan cheese.”

“Chips and salsa. I love salsa.”

“Let’s go with Pizza Rolls. They’re easy to pop in.”

“Homemade baked goods from my wife because she is the world’s best cook.”

Related story

Comments

countrygirl 5 years, 9 months ago

wings and beer--and the wings are best if they've just come off our smoker.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

Right on Desk, don't forget the livers and gravy, with those gizzards.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

I have to eat popcorn with butter and grated parmesan cheese, or they will lose. It's my lot in life.

grammaddy 5 years, 9 months ago

Popcorn, it doesn't damage the TV when it's thrown at it and it's easy to clean up after.

CindiCat 5 years, 9 months ago

My fingernails!!! ;)

Seriously, popcorn and a tall glass of Pepsi.

I do agree with "grammaddy"

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

who can eat during the game? i would probably choke to death so i eat during the commercials. usually salsa and chips or wings and a frosty beverage.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

R_I, you just killed my march madness buzz. thanksalot.

oh-and i love to have pizza available throughout the game.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Sorry about Cal State Northridge, R_I. It was long shot for them to win it all anyway, but I admire you for going that route.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

no, it is aimed at those who do watch ku basketball. others need not respond.

HermioneElliott 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't eat during games because I have to remain focused at all times and coach. I have to remind the guy on the free throw line to take a deep breath, relax, etc. It's a tough job but I love it. I got most of the second rounds, but when you are wrong it messes up all the rest. Who thinks that Gonzaga is going to beat North Carolina? Oh, God, I would love to see that!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow ... R_I wins every OTS prize ever in perpetuity for creating a readable bracket on OTS.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

So this popcorn with parmesan cheese...is it microwave popcorn or old-fashioned popcorn?

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

First, we buy good popcorn at the Merc or (even better) from someone who grew it. We use our stovetop popper that has the stirring dealie, and use a tad bit of oil to pop it. We put it into our KU bowls (that we overpaid for old popcorn for at the game) and pour butter (not margarine) over it, then sprinkle with packaged grated parmesan cheese and a little salt. YUM YUM!

It is fattening but we don't care. It's for the team, you know.

Larry Bauerle 5 years, 9 months ago

Shouldn't those of you worrying about Rome burning be doing something more constructive with your time than commenting on this poll? Leave the mundane and insignificant matters of life to those of us who make up the least common denominator of the living. Oh, and please pass the pizza.

jtwhawk1996 5 years, 9 months ago

I like to chew a** on the horrible job of officiating during the KU games. I then cheer when BS gets his game on with the officials. Really, I like to have oven snacks. The dessert is a KU victory. Rock Chalk!!!!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

nickhawk - they can't be too worried. They're reading the poll, the posts and then commenting on it.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

I like popcorn with baker's yeast on it.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

popcorn, hmmm...i am a popcorn purist; just lightly buttered&salted please. and the pizza-a lotsa meat thin crust from the convenience store on the highway is the only way to go-has the hut beat by far! good stuff!

oh-and if popcorn is in the hopper-or popper, haha-i must have a huge box of junior mints as an accompaniment. must have. the hubs has his hot tamales. junior mints rule.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't know this interstate convience store pizza, but as an East Coast pizza aficienado, I say Johnny's Tavern has the best pizza in town. Glory Days is also pretty good. The rest, not so much.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Multi - I'd probably make it at home before I ate the boxed. I like it just Chex mix, so I'd leave out the pretzels and peanuts they have in the box.

schula 5 years, 9 months ago

I like to eat pretzel rods (the saltier the better) dipped in Fiesta Party dip or Spinach & Herb dip.

dajudge 5 years, 9 months ago

Jersey Girl--I think you mean "brewers" yeast. That's good and kind of tastes like cheese popcorn.

shadowbox66044 5 years, 9 months ago

corned beef hash with tons of tabasco poured on it!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!! my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Schula, bring it on - I'm hungry today!

Multi, hot? You are toooooooo kind! And you are about half right on the waist size! Hugs!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

dajudge - you're probably right. I used to get popcorn with it on it from a vendor near by bus stop in Seattle many, many years ago.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Okay, tried microwave popcorn with parmesan on it. Think I'd recommend old-fashioned popcorn.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

nope not a casey's-have tried their pizza in the past and found it way too greasy for me! this is i think called "hunt brothers" pizza...the lil' quick stop on 59 between ottawa and richmond does it up right! yummy stuff!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Gootsie - so it's the old-fashioned type of popcorn. Do you use Kraft-type grated parmesan cheese or something fancy that if were shredded, would melt? - jerseygirl

Sorry I didn't answer this! You can buy packages of shredded cheeses at the grocery store (cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, etc.). If this is put over the popcorn while it is warm (and the butter has just been poured on), it will sort of stick to the popcorn. There's always some at the bottom to scoop up and eat. I don't care for the Kraft dried cheese, just the "fresh" ones.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, Gootsie. If I'm going to make it, I want to make sure I make it right.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm a fan of the rotella and velveeta dip but now we add bacon, spinach, and cream cheese to it.....so good!!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Dejacrew - that sounds really good. I've GOT to stop skipping lunch!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

What do you put on the kabobs to go with the salamanders?

texjhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

One of our favorites is Danny Manning's World Famous Cheese Dip, from the 2004 Rock Chalk Recipes cookbook.Might have to make some Fri. night for good luck.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

I personally just sprinkle it on like salt w/o salt or sugar. I suppose you could try it with either or both.

HermioneElliott 5 years, 9 months ago

How about a quart of Dairy Queen soft serve?

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

My, where do you find such large salamanders? I have to confess, I was wondering just how satisfying salamander kabobs could be, what with how little they are. But salamanders of that size could feed an entire crowd gathered to watch the games.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, they do apear to be extinct in Kansas and Missouri. Are you sure they can survive winters here? I believe in cold climates they get frostbite on their tails and die from infection.

G_E 5 years, 9 months ago

Puppy chow.

Cheap, easy to make, and so so tasty.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey Commentator, what's for supper???

Salamanders on hot biscuits, followed by a Klondike bar. If you eat these, we will go far.

YUM YUM!

1029 5 years, 9 months ago

Acorns in tomato paste, with cantaloupe slices on the side.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Original_Me - I look forward to hearing what you think of it. I really like it.

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

I have eaten crow when the outcome isn't what I predicted......

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

autie - I'd guess the salted fish in a barrel with rice and vinegar is from before refrigeration. Most meats were salted or smoked for keeping.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Me - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Pretty tasty!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Well I went to the Merc last night to get brewer's yeast and they told me it's not brewer's yeast but nutritional yeast?

9070811 5 years, 9 months ago

Marcus Merritt, I hope to be married to a man like you, saying my cooking is the best in the world! You're a dude!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

9070811 - he's a suck up is what he is!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

O_M, we tasted the nutritional yeast (now known as NY) out of the bag and it is YUMMY!! Is NY the same as brewer's yeast (now known as BY)? Or should I have gotten BY instead of NY? The clerk kind of turned up her nose when I said BY for popcorn and said no, you want NY.

BY was a lot more dough, though (pun definitely intended).