Previous   Next

Should the city adopt a “buy local” policy?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on March 24, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think it’s a good idea to keep our resources here in the city.”

“Yes, because I want to keep all business here in Lawrence.”

“Yes, especially with the way the economy is, it’s important that we keep the local economy strong.”

“No. You always take the lowest bid, unless there are circumstances that you know about that would cause you not to do that.”

Related story

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey Blue- Alan looks like a bowler to me. (Look.. he is still wearing bowling shoes) Either way, we both know he aint goin to Merc.

If Lawrence was more business friendly, the locals would have a better chance.... however, as Price Banks says " Lawrence is special"

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

welllll then color me facist too, R_I; that has been the policy at my house for many years! that way you don't get several boxes of stale cereal.

that is of course unless i happen to buy some super sugar crisp; then the special K be damned, i don't care if it goes stale-i'm eatin' the sugar crisp!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm all for keeping local money in town but how will anyone know if the bids are competitive.

The city commission is already controlled by local special interests unless voters choose not to elect Amyx,Johnson and Bush. This group will only give us more Hack,Amyx,Chestnut and Dever which the city cannot afford. Local special interests control these politicians which is why they like getting them elected.

In essence I'm saying locals are getting plenty of our local corporate welfare tax dollars.... but are we getting the best bang for the tax buck? Why do our taxes and user fees continue to escalate?

WE like to spend in Lawrence. Going on line and calling around provides us with a view on costs. Then we shop around Lawrence. If a Lawrence price is within reason of course we buy here. If an item is going to cost $50 and more then we might reconsider or simply do without.

In essence it is best to shop around in order to know IF taxpayers will get the best bang for our tax dollars . Blindly spending money on local special interests does not come off as a fiscally responsible approach.

Until I know a whole lot more the answer is no.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

saltines, original box...wax paper folded over the half sleeve left...stuff back in box. i must 'fess up-i am horrible about having several bags of chips open at once! but you never know if you're going to want a dorito, a ruffle, or a cheeto.

as for a buy local policy-in my household i'm pretty much always out for the best buy possible. sometimes it happens to be local, other times not. now-on with the kitchen discussion.

canyon_wren 5 years, 9 months ago

You can freeze chips and they will last a long time and thaw in seconds. Nothing worse than stale or soggy chips. I don't know about cereal, but cereal boxes take up too much freezer space.

Re: the question--I think our small community has a bit of a margin as far as bids from local contractors,businesses, etc., are concerned. Our Public Works Director has a pretty good memory for just which outfits have done the best job in the past and takes that into consideration.

I do think it is good for residents to shop locally. Our nearest actual shopping area is 110 miles away, so that helps to encourage local purchases, particularly when gas was especially high. We have been able to resist the establishment of a Wal-Mart, so far. Having WM's in three nearby communities--about 110 miles in each direction--is close enough for most of us.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

And what about the poor hippie businesses outside that magically local zone, how do they survive? ha ha ha ha

Once again LJW stands up a straw man for the Merc customers to knock over. So what you got to say to that LJW, will I'm waiting? Only guy who got the answer right wasn't even from Lawrence. Come on over here to the west side o' Lawrence and ask me what I think... yah buddy, I'd straighten 'em out.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 9 months ago

I presume Wal-Mart would be local under such ordinance.