Previous   Next

How far will KU go in the NCAA basketball tournament?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on March 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“All the way.”

“To the Elite Eight. … They’re a good team, they’re a focused group, I just think the inexperience is going to come through at about that level.”

“The Final Four … I think they’ll surprise us. ”

“To the Sweet Sixteen. … I don’t know that they can make it all the way this year, but they’ve done really well.”

Comments

Omegatron 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll make my prediction after the game.

jaywalker 6 years, 4 months ago

jonas jonas jonas!

What were the results on the PS3 against NDSU? How 'bout Dayton or WVU?

bevy 6 years, 4 months ago

ALL THE WAY, BABY! I don't care if I'm wrong, it's good to be an optimist.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

I never count the Hawks out until the last buzzer sounds.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

Is that what he does? I always wondered.

jaycat 6 years, 4 months ago

me thinks they will go all the way to minneapolis

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

Bad luck to talk about "how far they will go".... oops

truman1902 6 years, 4 months ago

Let's not become greedy here..There's only ONE defending national champion in this mix..Memphis is still reeling from their nightmare in San Antonio, and it showed last night..So many teams with Final Four dreams, and for most it remains a dream..Savor the title for a few more weeks.. Stroll by the fieldhouse and pat Dr. Allen's statue ..Light candles on the mantle next to those old Chamberlain, Ostertag & Paul Pierce basketball cards..Thumb your nose at those awful K-State Martin & Snyder billboards that adorn I-70 these days (it's all about the COACH, isn't it??) .Should we not advance into the field of 16, then hoist a mug of Free State Oatmeal Stout among your buds and enjoy the drama for the other teams that have yet to raise a championship banner in THEIR arena!! If we fall on Friday or Sunday, then SHOW UP at the airport for the homecoming and welcome the Hawks back to Kansas!!

lovenhaight 6 years, 4 months ago

Last year was so completely incredible...and we've got a young team this year. I'll be proud to be a Jayhawk no matter how far they go, and I really look forward to seeing what happens in the next couple of years as the frosh mature. Until then, I'll watch the games and enjoy every single second of college basketball that I possibly can.

Rock Chalk!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Just far enough for a Klondike bar.

Alternate answer: as far as I have them going in my brackets, because everybody knows I'm always right about the tournament. Except for that WKU victory over Illinois, but that doesn't count. And neither does that Maryland win over Cal.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 4 months ago

I have them losing to Michigan State but I just guessed on my bracket so we'll see how good I do.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm following the game on cbs' website since I'm at work, and wouldn't you know there is an ad on the page for a Klondike Bar. Now I'm hungry.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

I have two brackets, and I have them beating MSU on one and losing to them on the other. By that time I'll know which bracket is better so I'll know which I need to happen, but right now I'm clearly conflicted.

ohjay, if Kansas makes it to the final four, are you going to make the trip to Detroit? I promise, you won't have to listen to Martha Reeves complain about anything while you're here!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow - I had no idea she was even a councilwoman.

I hadn't thought that far ahead (final four), but I may have to see what I can work out! It'll be interesting to see if I'm even still alive if WVU wins later this evening and we beat WVU Sunday. LOL

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, she's one of the more annoying councilwomen on one of the worst, most obnoxious city councils in the nation. Or world. Or universe. This is the same city council that rejected a deal with the suburbs to renovate and expand the aging, cramped exhibition hall because they thought the suburbs were trying to pull a fast one on the city by agreeing to contribute money to the project in exchange for a say in the operation of the hall.

Will you even be able to watch a Kansas/WVU game? For you, that would be more stress than anyone should have to bear.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

sgt - I will definitely be able to watch. Even though I graduated from the same high school as Bobby, I can still root against him. LOL I'm just glad he's out of the Big 12 so it's not 2 times per year that I have to do it. Now, I may have to call off sick Monday, win or lose, because who knows what the co-workers will do.

G_E 6 years, 4 months ago

I've got us going to the Elite Eight in my bracket (which is 19 for 20 so far, by the way...stupid Butler!)

West Virginia could be tough - but that's assuming they make it past Dayton, who is currently winning. Michigan State will be even tougher, but I think that after that nasty loss early in the season to the Spartans, our guys may play with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. One can hope, at least.

But no matter how far they end up going, I'm damn proud of them. When I think back at preseason projections and compare that to what they actually achieved...wow.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Ohjay, is it okay that I feel compelled to call him Huggy Bear when I see him on tv?

grammaddy 6 years, 4 months ago

New Rule: If you don't have KU taking it all in the big dance, You don't get to come downtown to celebrate when it happens, and it just might. That's why we call it March Madness, you just never know what might happen. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!! GO KU!!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Well ... it looks like you don't have to worry about a KU-WVU game. Dayton beat WVU.

Boeing 6 years, 4 months ago

I've watched Dayton a few times this year (dad is a graduate) and I'll tell you what, they're scary. This is going to be a rough game...

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

USC-BC was a fun one to watch. USC looked waaay good.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe my favorite game ever was watching on TV last year when the Jayhawks went 20 up on UNC, then let them back almost even, before accelerating again and blowing them out. Certainly one of the best games I've ever seen was watching on TV the Jayhawks against OU in the 1988 final. KU, which entered that tournament with only 17 wins, played over their heads beyond their skill level the entire first half, which ended 50-50. OU with Billy Tubbs as their arrogant coach that year was basically a pro team, demolishing each opponent en route to the championship game. But after being played to a dead-heat the first 20 minutes, they started to show signs of doubt in their eyes. I remember Danny Manning calmly hitting free throws in the last minute to ice it (and adding millions to his first pro contract). But the best game I have ever watched on TV was somewhere in the mid 90s, the year when Arizona beat KU in the elite eight, north carolina in the semis, and then played a fantastic contest, back and forth every step of the way, an overtime win against Kentucky. That Arizona-Kentucky game, especially the overtime period, with players stretching themselves beyond their previous limits, was unforgettable. It doesn't happen like that every year. One of Florida's wins was similar. But if we are lucky then a team enters the tournament without having peaked, and proceeds to learn and develop and grow with each round, until in that championship game they are mesmerizing in their spirited efforts at demonstrating the true beauty of this game that Dr. Naismith first coached with a football and a peach basket and a ladder so many many years ago. I hope it's the Jayhawks again this year. I have them going all the way on my brackets, just as in each of the past 20 years of predictions. Rock chalk. Nice start yesterday. Aldrich is growing.

grammaddy 6 years, 4 months ago

Aldrich is amazing!! He didn't play much last year until the tourney and when he did, he really came through for us. Congrats on the triple-double, Cole. Keep up the good work!!! Rock Chalk!!!