Previous   Next

Have you ever planted a vegetable garden?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on March 19, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes. I love fresh vegetables.”

“Yes. I’m a farmer’s daughter.”

“Yes, for fresh home grown vegetables.”

“No, I haven’t. I live in an apartment.”

Comments

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

The wife is quite a gardener. I, however, seem to be cursed with what could be called a Black Thumb. If I'm going to keep something alive, it needs to be able to yell at me in some way and let me know it needs sustenance.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh, do I ever remember that North Lawrence soil.... vegetables love it.

canyon_wren 6 years, 2 months ago

I have raised incredible gardens in Missouri, Kansas, Utah and Arizona. My soil here in SE Utah is pretty poor and the 110+ temperatures in the summer are too much for many good things. Plus, I don't have the energy I used to have in earlier days. If I had a really good garden spot, I would go after it again, anyway. My efforts now in the small plot I have are largely confined to bush beans, which are always satisfying, but I would love to be able to raise prolific tomatoes like I did in Kansas and Missouri.

schula 6 years, 2 months ago

Autie -- can you give me some advice on container gardening -- what would work well. I live in an apartment and would need to put them on my balcony. Thanks.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

“Yes, for fresh home grown vegetables.”

Leave it to a lawyer to clarify his position... just think, one of his buddies might sue him if his comment was misleading. . Besides that, where do most people have a vegetable garden........ across the street?

schula 6 years, 2 months ago

Donnuts and TOB -- thanks for the advice. I will check into the patio tomatoes, chives and oregano.

Music_Girl 6 years, 2 months ago

schula - tomatoes, chives and oregano are all really easy to patio grow. Actually you can grow just about anything (except probably corn haha) on a patio or balcony. It just needs to have lots of light and be watered properly. Oversized flower pots work well with tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, etc while more pan shaped containers (like the kitty litter box previously mentioned) are better for carrots, herbs, etc. Best of luck!

Yes, I have helped raise veggies my whole life. I was raised on a farm and got spoiled with the fresh, flavorful veggies.

ms_canada 6 years, 2 months ago

I have planted gardens both large and small. When first married, I had a huge garden, but now I have only 3 large raised beds and some border strips in the back yard. I wide row plant carrots, beets, spinach and gr. onions. Tomatoes and zucchini are good in cages. Last year I put in 6 savoy cabbages and they were just great. For Balcony gardens anything that will grow upright on stakes will give good yield, like cukes, tomatoes and zucchini. Gardening can give a lot of pleasure and satisfaction and boy, the taste of fresh veg, Can't be beat.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I would like to try sometime, but right now the wife and I are so busy, I think the neighborhood deer would get more out of a garden than we would. Neither of us has the time to do what it would probably take to deer-proof it. LOL

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

No I've never had a vegetable garden but have always wanted one!! I wouldn't know the first place to get started. I need to go check-out a gardening for dummies book or something. My little girls and I are trying to grow some strawberry seeds we got with these little flower pots but we just started them yesterday....

George_Braziller 6 years, 2 months ago

I've been gardening for 42 of my 47 years. I had a huge vegetable garden for a long time and grew everything from broccoli to zucchini. But, bought a house with a really shady yard so all I can do is squeeze in a few veggies in the sunny spots.

Dejacrew - Give up on the strawberry seeds. Buy transplants.

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

Two days late, but got my potatoes planted today. More this weekend.

Multi - Stand up. Now, turn around, very slowly. Now STOP.

(Glad to see your back)

;-)

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi...hellllllooooooo! I agree with Roe that it is nice to see your back...although I prefer seeing your pretty smile...

Roe, stop bragging about your hoeing around... :*)

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

Around here, if I don't do the hoeing around it don't get dun...........

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Just an update on the strawberry seeds, the little one got a hold of them yesterday and we're down to one pot......I think we'll just stick to being supporters of local growers!

Kirk Larson 6 years, 2 months ago

Dejacrew423

Don't give up. Buy a few plants. Get them in the ground as it warms. There's something great about eating something you grew and the kids will learn a lot: where does food come from, about bugs and plants, how fun it is to dig in good clean dirt!