Previous   Next

How long do you think the recession will last?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on March 17, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think it will be about two years. … (It will take that long) for the president to get his Cabinet and everybody on the same page.”

“I’m thinking by the end of this year. I think we’ve got too many (credit) rules now in play … I want to get government out there.”

“Twenty to 25 years. It doesn’t look like there’s any real big changes happening anytime soon.”

“Forever, because there’s not enough oil, not enough water and there’s too many people.”

Related story

Comments

Defender 5 years, 1 month ago

"until Obama is impeached"

Yeah, because he made this happen. Wow, I would consider your comment to be partisan sniping if it wasn't so incredibly stupid. You're a complete idiot, faceit.

When the economy started tanking, your big buddy was in office, so faceit, moron.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

bea - much more fun to clean the bottle and empty the gun...at the bottle

Deja Coffin 5 years, 1 month ago

OTB? Is that kinda like OTS? I meant TOB....or maybe I meant ODB.......either way.......the thread is still alive!!! Muhahahahaha!!

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

Marion, don't you have a bottle to empty and some guns to clean?

Donnuts 5 years, 1 month ago

We have been in a "recession" for the past 38 years. They have found a way to cover it up with inflating prices and hiking wages to make it appear as though everything is okay. They raise the prices of items to accommodate the need of corporations to pay their employees and they simultaneously raise the wages of employees a bit less to attempt to make up the differences. The next thing we will see is a hike in wages that will last for a year or so and then prices will rise just a bit again. It happened in 1989 and 1990. It is an easy solution to a tough problem it is like fixing a hole in a bike innertube with a patch instead of replacing the innertube. However most Americans don't care to do anything but spit on their neighbor so it won't be noticed here....

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

faceit (Anonymous) says…

until Obama is impeached"

Marion writes:

We can only hope that it is soon.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 1 month ago

Almost as long as the Randy Leach thread.......oh yeh OTB, I'm bringing it back!!!! (As soon as I find it in my comment history...could be awhile)

lawrenceguy40 5 years, 1 month ago

Riots this summer, hyperinflation next year, followed by total social meltdown.

Buy your guns now - you will need them!

deskboy04 5 years, 1 month ago

Everyone they asked doesn't have a job!

Shane Garrett 5 years, 1 month ago

Nationally renowned moonshiner Marvin “Popcorn” Sutton died today in Cocke County and authorities are investigating his death as a possible suicide, a Cocke County official confirmed tonight. He was to spend 36 months in jail from a raid back in june 2007.. Rip Popcorn.

querulousperson 5 years, 1 month ago

no dispararemos, miss canada—we won't shoot. don't despair.

Ceallach 5 years, 1 month ago

well, if you are going to be picky :)

beawolf 5 years, 1 month ago

What's wrong with knowing how the average person thinks about the economy? I thought each of the answers had some merit. No better or worse than some of the inane comments made by many who frequent these discussion sections.

In fact it's probably more pertinent to understand the grass roots mentality, because it's their confidence (or lack of) that will have the most impact on recovery.

Housing starts are up, the Dow had a nice rebound last week, wholesale spending increased and financial institutions out preformed expectations last quarter. This may be a temporary spike, but it's much better than anticipated.

ms_canada 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey - don't dispare - I just heard that housing starts are up this month by 22% over last month and that is in your good country, not mine.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, that depends on the girl; if she's financially demanding, then she'd just make the recession more unpleasant.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 1 month ago

":But what the heck, we'll be in base camp on the river then anyway." Autie

Yeah, it'll at least be a good excuse to go camp and fish for a couple weeks

logicsound04 5 years, 1 month ago

"Why are you asking people at the Merc? They don't have a clue about the economy….."

Actually, I'm pretty sure getting a meaningful answer to this question is above the heads of most Lawrencians, and people for that matter.

This is a simple effect of the fact that the economy involves too many factors in play to really predict when a cycle is going to end.

Given that fact, it seems like a stupid OTS question.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

TOB.........

I think you nailed it.................

pace 5 years, 1 month ago

I think it will take ten years, and only if we successfully are able to change from a consumer economy to a sustainable economy. If the wing nuts get back in power it might be a global disaster of both environmental and economic systems.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 1 month ago

Sent out a couple of resumes, I think it might end for me soon.

prospector 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm waiting for Chauncey Gardiner's opinion. Until then, "I like to watch.".

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

12/12/2012 is an urban myth. Or so the Dresden codex claims. But what the heck, we'll be in base camp on the river then anyway.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

Within 12 months we'll see change, on the outside. Now, time spent WAITING that long will seem like 25 years (what was that guy thinking!!?).

dajudge 5 years, 1 month ago

It will last until December 21, 2012. That will be the end of the world, since the Mayan calendar ends then. Or is it 2011? Oh well, soon enough.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 1 month ago

Ok, Roe. Here's my opinion. It ain't going to matter because we are all doomed towards the latter end of 2012. The mayans said so. However, we might not make it that far due the riots this summer.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says…

"No clue. I'm not an econmomic expert. Of course, that may make me more qualified to have an opinion."

TOB, as a retired truck driver, I always tell that what I don't know I at least have an opinion on...........

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

just as long as you don't have to take that girl fishing with you...believe me, you don't want to do that.

Ceallach 5 years, 1 month ago

"But nobody likes to be in a recession. Nobody."

What if you are with a girl . . . during a recession, Sarge? I'm thinking that would make it easier to endure, eh?:P

HermioneElliott 5 years, 1 month ago

Professor Dumbledore said that divination is iffy at best.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Ask this question in the employee parking lot at Amarr Garage Door...........

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

TOB ... econmomic? What do the financial habits of moms have to do with this?

Anyway: I think the recession will last until it ends. And then it'll end, and it won't be lasting any longer.

Alternatively... Nobody likes to be in a recession. Nobody. The other countries hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you're in a recession because your father wants you to be. Then you're in a recession to get the girls. If you keep on in a recession, you do it for bailouts, and to get the girls. Then you're in a recession for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the recessions, and that's fun. But nobody likes to be in a recession. Nobody.

feeble 5 years, 1 month ago

Could we get at least one wage earner on the next OTS question about the economy?

I'm guessing major finance will turn around in 9-18 months, and housing in 12-24 months, but as always, there will be plenty of us plebs who never recover. I'm guessing a large percentage of the jobs shed this cycle will not come back.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 1 month ago

Are they letting you have adult refreshments downtown today during the parade, as long as it is in plastic and not glass?

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

It's here today. Hopefully it can get better each day.

shadowbox66044 maybe your six pack from walmart is better get a clue, I don't shop at the Merc but I can tell you they have as much right to an opinion as you and probably more so afetr reading your silly posts

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

20 to 25 years..now there is some real optimism. I think it will last until next Thursday at least..

shadowbox66044 5 years, 1 month ago

Why are you asking people at the Merc? They don't have a clue about the economy.....until the price of a dime bag goes up.

Ceallach 5 years, 1 month ago

Careful there, jaywalker. Don't forget who will be in charge is Obama is gone :{

The recession? Probably about as long as it takes to repay promises to mega supporters, or there is yet another regime change.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 1 month ago

The Kondratiev wave has a slow cycle.

edjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Depends on how much bi-partisanship there will be. Getting something done is better then getting nothing done.

Fred Vance 5 years, 1 month ago

Based on past history, probably about 12 more months for the economy and market to start improving on a consistent basis. But, beware of March madness!!!

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

The only thing we haven't experienced yet is hyperinflation - this should come around 2012 at the earliest.

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

I’m thinking by the end of this year. I think we’ve got too many (credit) rules now in play … I want to get government out there.”

— Mary Eggleston, retired, Fort Collins, Colo.

WTF

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Oldenuf: A few times in front of Walmart, yes. Not as many, but they don't go very far very often.

Bowhunter99 5 years, 1 month ago

I have the feeling LJW mistakenly posted the answers to SOME OTHER question...

20-25 years? forever due to lack of water?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah... I'm not the least bit impressed by these responses. None of it makes sense.

And, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they ask 1 in 3 of these in front of the Merc. Have they ever done this, say, in front of Wal Mart?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 1 month ago

blue73harley 5 years, 1 month ago

Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean Higher than any bird ever flew Longer than there've been stars up in the heavens I've been in debt and screwed.

With apologies to Dan Fogelberg.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

What's worse, recession or runaway inflation... stay tuned, we will know sooner or later.

jaywalker 5 years, 1 month ago

.......oh! And anyone know what the correlation between a recession and massive inflation is? 'Cuz with all this newly printed, unsupported 'stimulus' flooding the nation, the dollar's gonna dive like Greg Louganis.

jaywalker 5 years, 1 month ago

2012 at least, and could morph into the D word.

Omegatron 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah... like I want to hear economic advice from this all-star lineup....