Previous   Next

How long do you think the recession will last?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on March 17, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think it will be about two years. … (It will take that long) for the president to get his Cabinet and everybody on the same page.”

“I’m thinking by the end of this year. I think we’ve got too many (credit) rules now in play … I want to get government out there.”

“Twenty to 25 years. It doesn’t look like there’s any real big changes happening anytime soon.”

“Forever, because there’s not enough oil, not enough water and there’s too many people.”

Related story

Comments

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah... like I want to hear economic advice from this all-star lineup....

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

2012 at least, and could morph into the D word.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

.......oh! And anyone know what the correlation between a recession and massive inflation is? 'Cuz with all this newly printed, unsupported 'stimulus' flooding the nation, the dollar's gonna dive like Greg Louganis.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

What's worse, recession or runaway inflation... stay tuned, we will know sooner or later.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah... I'm not the least bit impressed by these responses. None of it makes sense.

And, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they ask 1 in 3 of these in front of the Merc. Have they ever done this, say, in front of Wal Mart?

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Oldenuf: A few times in front of Walmart, yes. Not as many, but they don't go very far very often.

BigPrune 5 years, 10 months ago

The only thing we haven't experienced yet is hyperinflation - this should come around 2012 at the earliest.

Fred Vance 5 years, 10 months ago

Based on past history, probably about 12 more months for the economy and market to start improving on a consistent basis. But, beware of March madness!!!

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

Careful there, jaywalker. Don't forget who will be in charge is Obama is gone :{

The recession? Probably about as long as it takes to repay promises to mega supporters, or there is yet another regime change.

shadowbox66044 5 years, 10 months ago

Why are you asking people at the Merc? They don't have a clue about the economy.....until the price of a dime bag goes up.

feeble 5 years, 10 months ago

Could we get at least one wage earner on the next OTS question about the economy?

I'm guessing major finance will turn around in 9-18 months, and housing in 12-24 months, but as always, there will be plenty of us plebs who never recover. I'm guessing a large percentage of the jobs shed this cycle will not come back.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

TOB ... econmomic? What do the financial habits of moms have to do with this?

Anyway: I think the recession will last until it ends. And then it'll end, and it won't be lasting any longer.

Alternatively... Nobody likes to be in a recession. Nobody. The other countries hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you're in a recession because your father wants you to be. Then you're in a recession to get the girls. If you keep on in a recession, you do it for bailouts, and to get the girls. Then you're in a recession for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the recessions, and that's fun. But nobody likes to be in a recession. Nobody.

RoeDapple 5 years, 10 months ago

Ask this question in the employee parking lot at Amarr Garage Door...........

HermioneElliott 5 years, 10 months ago

Professor Dumbledore said that divination is iffy at best.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

"But nobody likes to be in a recession. Nobody."

What if you are with a girl . . . during a recession, Sarge? I'm thinking that would make it easier to endure, eh?:P

RoeDapple 5 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says…

"No clue. I'm not an econmomic expert. Of course, that may make me more qualified to have an opinion."

TOB, as a retired truck driver, I always tell that what I don't know I at least have an opinion on...........

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

It will last until December 21, 2012. That will be the end of the world, since the Mayan calendar ends then. Or is it 2011? Oh well, soon enough.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

Within 12 months we'll see change, on the outside. Now, time spent WAITING that long will seem like 25 years (what was that guy thinking!!?).

Tony Kisner 5 years, 10 months ago

Sent out a couple of resumes, I think it might end for me soon.

pace 5 years, 10 months ago

I think it will take ten years, and only if we successfully are able to change from a consumer economy to a sustainable economy. If the wing nuts get back in power it might be a global disaster of both environmental and economic systems.

RoeDapple 5 years, 10 months ago

TOB.........

I think you nailed it.................

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Ceal, that depends on the girl; if she's financially demanding, then she'd just make the recession more unpleasant.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey - don't dispare - I just heard that housing starts are up this month by 22% over last month and that is in your good country, not mine.

beawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

What's wrong with knowing how the average person thinks about the economy? I thought each of the answers had some merit. No better or worse than some of the inane comments made by many who frequent these discussion sections.

In fact it's probably more pertinent to understand the grass roots mentality, because it's their confidence (or lack of) that will have the most impact on recovery.

Housing starts are up, the Dow had a nice rebound last week, wholesale spending increased and financial institutions out preformed expectations last quarter. This may be a temporary spike, but it's much better than anticipated.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

well, if you are going to be picky :)

querulousperson 5 years, 10 months ago

no dispararemos, miss canada—we won't shoot. don't despair.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 10 months ago

Nationally renowned moonshiner Marvin “Popcorn” Sutton died today in Cocke County and authorities are investigating his death as a possible suicide, a Cocke County official confirmed tonight. He was to spend 36 months in jail from a raid back in june 2007.. Rip Popcorn.

deskboy04 5 years, 10 months ago

Everyone they asked doesn't have a job!

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

Almost as long as the Randy Leach thread.......oh yeh OTB, I'm bringing it back!!!! (As soon as I find it in my comment history...could be awhile)

beatrice 5 years, 10 months ago

Marion, don't you have a bottle to empty and some guns to clean?

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

OTB? Is that kinda like OTS? I meant TOB....or maybe I meant ODB.......either way.......the thread is still alive!!! Muhahahahaha!!

RoeDapple 5 years, 10 months ago

bea - much more fun to clean the bottle and empty the gun...at the bottle