Previous   Next

What is your best money-saving tip?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on March 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“Don’t spend.”

“Don’t open the wallet.”

“Cook and eat at home.”

“I shop at the discount grocery stores.”

Comments

rollcar 6 years, 2 months ago

The best advice I ever heard is to keep in mind that the goal is to live a happy life all the way through, not to die a billionaire. Save for your future, but don't miss out on the good things in life in the process. Plus, saving is kind of like dieting. You can't cut out all the fun stuff or you will end up binging at some point. Allow yourself the occasional splurge, and you'll do better in the long run.

HermioneElliott 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't have a choice. I am poor and I have to live within a budget. I have been poor my entire life, so not much has changed because of the current recession. I am rather amused that now people are talking about the things I have been doing all along.

unelectable 6 years, 2 months ago

HermioneElliott - great Point! - you know things about how to make it through this that the formerly wealthy will wish they had known. For so many people nothing has changed in this current "global financial crisis." They are still living paycheck to paycheck hoping that they don't get sick and the car holds out and doesn't break, again. Hopefully some lessons can be learned by our society on the whole and we can improve the lives of everyone. It's not just those who are recently effected by money issues that will benefit but all of us.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

There is poor because you choose to be and you like it, and poor, because you have no education, lack of job choices, and no way to improve yourself.
If it is the first, then great. If it is the second, i wouldn't be gloating

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

R_I-

I only celebrate mole day.

As for the OTS....

Never shower alone to save water, and always sleep with someone to keep warm to save electricity and heating costs. Self-medicate for illnesses.

Boeing 6 years, 2 months ago

How can someone say they are going to discount grocery stores while at the Merc?

My tip - move out of Lawrence!

deskboy04 6 years, 2 months ago

I shop and dine in downtown Lawrence. The prices are low.

kseagle 6 years, 2 months ago

“I shop at the discount grocery stores.”

— Rita Kendagor, social worker, Lenexa

And when was the Merc a discount grocery store??? Talk about ripping people off. Highest priced store in town that takes advantage of people.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

R_I

The celebration takes place at 6:02 AM on October 23rd.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 2 months ago

And of course another on the street at the merc.

I'm spending all of my money before the government starts taking all if it and the President Pelosi comment isn't really that far off. Power has gone to her very scary, surgically altered head.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 2 months ago

Don't buy stuff because "it was on sale".