Previous   Next

Are you prepared for severe weather season?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on March 11, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes I am. We’ve got our box of nonperishables in our basement, canned goods, bottled water, portable radio, games, books … all the necessities.”

“Yes, I have a weather radio.”

“We are. We have a weather radio, lots of flashlights with extra batteries, water and canned food, and we know where to go in our house.”

“(At school) we practice going in the bathrooms.”

Comments

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

Swiss Army Knife and a lighter. That's all I need.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Yep, I cleaned off my windows so I don't get dirty pressed up against them when I'm looking at the tornadoes!

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

TOB.... Can you cook gravy in that helmet?

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

autie, save us a spot!!!!! We'll bring the beverage and the camper.

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

P.S. We have a big iron skillet we'll bring.

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

snap...Well, it's 1-2-3-what are we fighting for?

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

snap..And it's 5-6-7 open the pearly gates, Well there ain't no time to wonder why-Whoopee" we're all gonna die"!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know, but I'm enjoyed the 40- to 50-mph wind gusts going on in Michigan right now. (Besides, Michigan's weather doesn't often get too severe ... unless you're local TV news, in which case two inches of snow or temperatures below 5 are reasons for panic.)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm gonna learn flint knapping so I'll still have a valuable job skill after technology collapses.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 10 months ago

I have my emergency TV antenna firmly directed to Katie Horner, and our lawn chairs nailed down on the deck so we can watch it all.

Sgt, you going to be OK? If you sat in your yard, would you blow down here to Kansas and have lunch with us?

preebo 5 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely, with trips to California, Oregon, and Colorado this coming spring and summer, the family and I are going to prepare for Kansas' severe weather by, uh, not being here.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm ready for the relatively weak severe weather season we have here in SE Ohio. Now, western Ohio has it's fair share of tornadic storms, but we don't down here. We usually get a few severe storms a year for straightline/downburst winds, but that's about it.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Unfortunately, Gootsie, the wind is blowing east, so I'd have to take the long way to Kansas. But I still might get the necessary distance if I stood in the yard with an open umbrella.

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

If you can hear the sound of my voice, take cover immediately!!!

Katie Horner probably does things to herself just thinking about severe weather.

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

Autie-

Good idea bringing the dog. You may need the nurishment. The rivers turning to blood will probably prevent fishing. At least there will be the beasts with the head of a lion and the tail of a hornet to shoot. I wonder how tasty they would be cooked up.

1029 5 years, 10 months ago

I was prepared until yesterday. I had plenty of grains, oats, and bottled water in my underground storm/terrorist bunker. Then they sounded the sirens for no good reason and by the time I surfaced 15 hours later I had eaten half a sack of oats and used up 34 D-batteries. Not to mention that I missed work and got fired and had to ditch out on my kids who were expecting me to pick them up from school. Talk about crying wolf. I went from an affluent father-of-the-year candidate to an unemployed deadbeat dad thanks to that false alarm.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

Yep, DVDs in case my DirecTV goes out, books in case my electricity goes out, and my gun in case looters go out.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 10 months ago

Uh, 1029, do we want to know what you did with the batteries?

KcSlumper 5 years, 10 months ago

Lisa McKnight.....your funny......lol. We all had a good laugh reading your response. ................the lies still just flow out...don't they......funny funny girl.

deskboy04 5 years, 10 months ago

Katie Horner talks about having a storm kit that you can have in the basement with you. I was wondering what I should put in my storm kit?

Mike Blur 5 years, 10 months ago

No need to prepare. Now that Bristol and Levi have broken up, I've given up all hope.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, Py, we don't get much crazy weather excitement around here. Snow and ice in the winter and thunderstorms in the spring (I love a good thunderstorm!), and that's about it. I think the west side gets much more excitement.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

I have a weather radio, batteries, flashlight and a decent generator.

If that's not enough, I also have my 12 ga. shotgun. I'll be just fine.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 10 months ago

What if I have the kit but no basement?

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 10 months ago

reticent - why in the world would I need to open the universe?

Pywacket - you're not supposed to be using my laptop when I'm at work! You get fur in the keys!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 10 months ago

reticent - absolutely not! And I take it that a Big Crunch is the opposite of a Big Bang?

commentator - who told you that I want a trophy husband? I thought I had been being subtle!