Previous   Next

Did you have any talent as a child?

Asked at Kansas Union on March 9, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes. I was a clogger.”

“Yeah. I was a dancer. I did clogging, ballet — pretty much everything contemporary.”

“Mostly I did armpit noises. It got a lot of laughs out of my buddies.”

“I was the best girl soccer player among all the boys.”

Comments

Omegatron 5 years, 9 months ago

As a teen my most useful talent was guessing, with accuracy, the three sizes of all the ladies in school.

As a child... where did I put my childhood marbles again...

Kookamooka 5 years, 9 months ago

If you could do it as a kid, you can do it as an adult. I don't think grown-ups should stop being involved in the things they loved to do as kids. Including arm pit noises. Go for it!

BigPrune 5 years, 9 months ago

I could flip my eyelids over, fold my ear lobes in and speak with a scary froggy voice.

allateup 5 years, 9 months ago

I was good at faking it when I flirted

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

I was good at drawing and painting, and played most sports pretty well. I had no talent for social activities.

audvisartist 5 years, 9 months ago

Started playing drums at age 3... guitar at age 5... had my own software company at age 11... so no, not really.

Mary Darst 5 years, 9 months ago

well, you can't clog if you eat alot of biscuits and gravy. It's a type of dance.Sort of like tap dancing.

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

Who would give up biscuits and gravy for that?

jaycat 5 years, 9 months ago

I thought the one using the plunger was the unclogger.

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

clogger and unclogger one and same in this house....

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

Clogging is, yes, a type of dancing, sort of like tap but the clogger wears wooden cloggs, like the dutch people of old It is not a very artistic sort of dance to watch and noisy. this is only my opinion. I never liked tap very much either. I had no talent as a kid. I was just a brat, ask my sister. She will concur.

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

pywacket - now you are getting rather technical, are you not? Are we talking talent or ability here? Or are they the same thing? Was Maria Callas born with an ability or a talent? Or was she born with a gift of a beautiful voice which she then developed into a talent? So then, did she have the ability to develop her gift into that talent? What about Fred Astaire? Talent, gift or ability? Or a track star? Ability, talent or gift?

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

When I was a kid, I went to see Snow White, etc. and just fell in love with the song that she signs. Some Day My Prince Will Come. what a magnificent voice. How I wanted to be able to sing like that!!!! I practiced and practiced till my vocal cords ached. But alas, I did not have the gift nor the talent. I finally gave up the dream. Alas, alac and lac-a-day!!!

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

Does torturing your sibling count? My mom always said I had a knack for doing that.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

When I played baseball, the coach told my Dad that if he wanted to see me play, go buy a piano.

BorderRat 5 years, 9 months ago

I was really good at taking things apart. I had to go to school to learn how to put them together again.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

If you have talent as an adult, does that mean you had it as a child, whether or not you used it or were aware you had it as a child? If that's the case, then yes, I had talent as a child.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Oldenuf, did your big finish include a bic?

I could play the piano and turn my tongue upside down at the same time.

lwctown 5 years, 9 months ago

I could make unusual sounds with my armpit.

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

pywacket - smart aleck? yeh, me too. Fun subject to poke fun at. My dear old Auntie Mary, at the age of 68 took up oil painting and pottery in a night class. WOW! What hidden talent lay dormant all those years. I have a vase she made and I treasure it immensely. It is so beautiful. She is gone now and I am so glad she gave me that vase.

Fred Vance 5 years, 9 months ago

I could stick out my tongue and touch my forehead

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 9 months ago

"Oldenuf, did your big finish include a bic?"

Only on Independence Day, for the big fireworks finale'. You know, "the rocket's red glare" and all.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, I do know! Fabulous!

OldEnuf, you know that salons who do "personal" waxings do not care for the bic/methane procedure.

TacoBob 5 years, 9 months ago

A former City Commissioner is a clogger....