Previous   Next

Have you visited a museum in the past year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes … I visited all the Smithsonian museums in September.”

“Yes, I have. The Nelson-Atkins … they had a special exhibit about train travel.”

“Yes, I have. I’ve been to the Spencer museum, the Nelson … it’s part of my career.”

“I have not visited a museum in the last year, but I have to go visit one for my humanities class.”

Related story

Comments

devobrun 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I went into the Field Musem in Chicago last fall. The special exhibits were about fantasy depictions of monsters of the ages and such.

So, I went into a continuing exhibit on Africa. It was pretty much just a guilt trip regarding slavery. No geography. No history (except slavery). No cultural contrasts between regions of the continent. Just guilt regarding slavery.

I left having learned nothing. Sad.

Freestater456 5 years, 1 month ago

World War I museum last Tuesday. It was a really cool meseum.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 1 month ago

1029 I think any points you may have scored that day were just lost on that comment......

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

I went to that creation museum in Kentucky. It was entertaining, but I made the mistake of reading one of those descriptive exhibit signs out loud. This guy overheard me and approached me with his family (8 kids!) and asked if I would read some of the other exhibit signs out loud to him and his family. Being a good christian, I agreed. Within a few minutes of reading out loud to the family, people started to gather around. I soon realized that I was the only one in the museum that could read (except for the people I was traveling with). I got really annoyed after an hour or so of leading this pack of backwoods christians through the museum exhibits, but I think I scored some major points with God that day.

I_Bejewel 5 years, 1 month ago

Yup! Took my boys to the Nelson Atkins museum about a year ago. Then to the Watkin's museum here in Lawrence with one of my boy's cub scout group. I too would love to visit the Smithsonian some day. I truly love museums and feel it's good to take the kiddos as well.

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

I went to the Liberty Memorial twice in the last year. Everyone in this area should go at least once. My only problem with it was that it seemed a little TOO centered on the United States for a war that we did relatively little fighting in.

prospector 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, the Rawlins Co. museum in Atwood, the hometown of Smokey the Bear. even though there are no forests or bears for hundreds of miles.

Autie, I look at the Free State as a temple. I understand that Irish Ale can be found at the altar now. Can I get an amen?

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

What about the Free State? Don't they still have displays of student beer drinkers from 30 to 40 years ago? What they call a 'living museum.'

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

"poor displays of discarded old rusty broken weaponry"

Hey! That's no way to talk about the state of Missouri!

Sorry. I had to say it.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

I've been to some museums where they advertised rockin' memorabilia from the 60's, 70's and 80's. We went thinking we'd find something that made us feel like dancing.

Unfortunately they turned out to be mostly poor displays of discarded old rusty broken weaponry that no one could make fire no matter what restoration processes were used. Not much to look at, seldom a bang for our efforts. Certainly nothing to twist and shout about.

;-P @ blue

Deja Coffin 5 years, 1 month ago

Does the Titanic Museum or Ripley's Believe It or Not museum at Branson count? I think we're going there in May!

Ceallach 5 years, 1 month ago

I had to go to Carruth O'Leary Hall, does that count?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

Wait ... I'm supposed to be able to remember what I did over the past year? That's asking a lot.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 1 month ago

autie, Last year I stayed in a Super8, and the couple across the hall were British.

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

I did get to spend two solid days in the British Museum..but not in the past year. More like 1975.

trinity 5 years, 1 month ago

no i have not and wish that wasn't the case! love museums...chicago has some really cool ones!

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 1 month ago

Just went to the Nelson Atkins, it was good, not too much modern art.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

No, and it's sad because there are several museums in the town I live in now that I've not visited.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, and I wish I could go to the Smithsonian. It's on my to-do/places-to-visit list

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

You've never been to my house? I'm surrounded by artifacts. In fact the grandkids think I'm an artifact.

zettapixel 5 years, 1 month ago

Went out to DC a few months ago and went to the Air and Space Museum and the NMNH. Fun places!

blue73harley 5 years, 1 month ago

Well, there was this Gentlemen's club with older ladies that we referred to as a Natural History Museum.

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

The Nelson but never been to a place cooler than the Louvre in Paris

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Saw the Window on the Plains museum in Dumas, TX and the Robert E. Howard museum in Cross Plains in January.

Donnuts 5 years, 1 month ago

Auhh... Errr.... We have a museum of artifacts in our basement if we can keep the zoo from getting it. The Met. the last time I went to a museum in Kansas it was exhibiting the "Beyond the floating Garden" show. Way back in '92.

Omegatron 5 years, 1 month ago

I visited the Smithsonian in D.C. last summer.