Previous   Next

What is your favorite KU-MU basketball memory?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 S. Iowa on March 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“My dad took me to see a KU-MU game, and I remember seeing Jo Jo White ‘taking it to the house.’”

“Yes sir, when I won $50 betting on Missouri last month.”

“My favorite KU-MU basketball memory is going to be when KU beats Missouri (today).”

“When David Padgett made the game-winning shot in the last game at the Hearnes Center.”

Comments

Omegatron 6 years, 6 months ago

When Fizzou gives up and becomes a D-3 School...

ohjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't know if it's my favorite (because KU lost), but my most vivid memory was my freshman year when #2 Missouri came into the fieldhouse to take on the #1 Jayhawks. I came from a small Ohio town where people are basketball crazy, but the excitement and build-up to that game was pretty awe-inspiring for a 18 year-old.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

When mizzery's Arthur Johnson was rejected by the rim going for a dunk on 1/28/02. He wound up on the floor-gluteus first.

I still see that as symbolic of mizzery's futility.

ObiWan 6 years, 6 months ago

I loved seeing one of the scummiest coaches in the history of college basketball forced to resign in humiliating fashion. Quin Snyder always looked like he was on day 6 of a massive coke binge. Mizzou may win sometimes, but ALL the class is on the Kansas side of the border! Rock Chalk!

quik 6 years, 6 months ago

In the early '80's when MU had Steve Stipanovich and Jon Sunvold. Stipanovich had injured himself a few weeks earlier by accidentally shooting himself in the foot in his dorm room. When Stipo went to the free throw line the first time, cap guns went off all over the fieldhouse. It was just hilarious and it did rattle him. He played terrible. I think MU did win a very tight, low scoring game (41-40?) though. Sunvold scored more than half of their points if I remember correctly.

phoggyjay 6 years, 6 months ago

when butch loses $50 betting on mizzou today

Bob Forer 6 years, 6 months ago

Senior Day, 1972. Despite Mike Jeffries being all over him, Bud Stallworth lit up the crowd with 50 points. 19-38 from the field and 12-12 from the line. Way to go out, Bud!!!!

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

That time when, after MU needed their home court, a total loss of KU composure, 27 turnovers and a ridiculously lucky roll to win one, they came to Lawrence, got beat by 25 and KU got to put in their subs with 2 minutes remaining. It might not be my Favorite memory, I guess, but it's up there.

dminear60 6 years, 6 months ago

bad_dog: I agree with you. That is one of my favorite victories over MU. With that said, winning today was really sweet and it was exactly the payback KU fans were looking for.

RoeDapple 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey Butch, you like apples?

MU lost today, how do you like those apples?

Mary Darst 6 years, 6 months ago

Today. What a great game. Everytime we beat them is my fondest memory.

Omegatron 6 years, 6 months ago

Having Hinrich's jersey retired during a rout of Fizzou. Brings a tear to my eye.

Kylee Manahan 6 years, 6 months ago

The 1972 game was the best, Bud Stallworth scoring 50 points, the fight in the northeast corner of the floor, and seeing that Norm Stewart had some of his players in acting classes.

grammaddy 6 years, 6 months ago

Every time we beat them.Great game even if it was pretty one-sided. Rock Chalk Jayhawks! Go KU!!!