Previous   Next

What is your favorite summertime fruit?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on June 28, 2009

Browse the archives

“Raw strawberries or with chocolate.”

“Ripe Elberta Freestone peaches.”

“Fresh strawberries”

“Fruit salad with fresh raspberries.”

Comments

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

Katara~ Yes! Now, there's a good, old-fashioned dessert..

Another favorite for me (and this might sound weird) is warm blueberry pie with a dollop of cold tapioca pudding on top.

Katara 4 years, 9 months ago

Pywacket,

Did you folks ever make blueberry buckle? Talk about a slice of heaven!

Multi, I don't think Irish would get the reference.

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

Hi, Ronda! Mainly, I was kidding---but I have no argument with anything that has multiple well-designed studies behind it.

If Irish says bilberry sandwiches improved the vision of World War 11 pilots, then it must be so. (Like to know when that 11th global conflagration took place--don't remember it from the history books.)

But seriously.... take a good look at the other health "facts" they believed back then.... like a "healthy tan" being good for you--not to mention cigarettes, some brands more than others...

I have no doubt that blueberries, which are high in antioxidents, contribute to one's overall health, but until I see good studies indicating its specific contribution to ocular health (including vision improvement, which is really a stretch), I'll maintain my skeptical (if jocular) position. ;-)

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Irish says,

In Face Off, Castor Troy(Nicolas Cage)says that he could eat a peach for hours.

Now I haven't seen that movie..but is that anything like when Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sings that he practices on a peach most every night? ;)

verity, if blue hadn't said what he did about Farrah and Michael... imitation is said to be a form of flattery. Really sad for the man and his family though. :)

slappedyomomma 4 years, 9 months ago

part of that ruling dealt with taxation. fruits were subject to import taxes, and since the tomato was "technically" a fruit, it was subject to the same taxation. the supreme court ruled that since it was normally eaten in the main course of a meal, and fruits were generally eaten during dessert, the tomato was to be considered a vegetable, which also nullified any taxes on it.

slappedyomomma 4 years, 9 months ago

In 1887, the tomato reached the U.S. Supreme Court. The ruling? Vegetable. So legally, it seems, the tomato is not a fruit.

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

Can get some really good fresh fruit at the KC River market

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

Tomatoes ARE a fruit you know?!

verity 4 years, 9 months ago

Irish, you just follow the row to get out of the cornfield. Never saw those movies, but I've never seen a cornfield that wasn't in rows.

Multi, now that was funny in a morbid sort of way. At the risk of being a really bad person, my first thought when I read that the really loud guy had died was does that mean I will never have to listen to him again.

Oh, the answer is strawberries---from the garden, not those ones you buy in the store.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

Fried green tomatoes.....on a steamy midwestern day, in my Adirondack chair on my patio and a really, really dirty and cold vodka martini, up.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Now corn makes me think of Stephen Kings, The Children of the Corn, where people get lost in a vast corn field and run around forever. Every movie with a corn field is like that, it traps you, and they are endless. I wouldn't go into a corn field for anything. That might be my next blog, The Terror That Lurks In The Cornfield!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

very funny Multi! LOL!

oh the strawberry, with nothing on it!

when I was a kid we could pay the growers to go and glean in their strawberry fields two weeks after the pickers went through. wow.
lately, checkers has had strawberries from central california in, big sweet, yumm.

no it isn't technically a fruit, but favorite: |corn|! gimme the sweet corn, call it a fruit FGS! its almost here locally, just a few dozen hours now.
when I walk gnomedog sometimes I think I smell the corn on the wind, maybe wafting over from Bismarck Farms, grow that corn!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

T.S. Elliott wrote," Do I dare to eat a peach?" in The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. In Face Off, Castor Troy(Nicolas Cage)says that he could eat a peach for hours. My opthamalogist told me about eating bilberries and blueberries, and I said that I had thought that to be a myth and he no, no it is quite true.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Pye, I suppose you don't think carrots are good for your night vision either? Or that fruits and veggies in bright colors don't help prevent cancer?

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

I about busted a gut when I read Irish's declaration about blueberries being beneficial to one's eyesight. If that were true, I'd have the keen sight of an eagle--instead, I have probably the most advanced myopia ever recorded. I grew up going to a huge U-pick blueberry farm in PawPaw Michigan every summer with my best friend's family. They probably took me to keep her from bugging them--and it worked! We loved spending that time together, filling buckets and pouring them into the bigger buckets that her parents would take to the office to be weighed and boxed.

We'd get there at dawn and spend hours moving up and down the sandy rows, trying to stand in the shade of the huge bushes, picking and picking (and eating the most irresistable ones straight off the bush). When it got too hot to pick, we had a picnic lunch and a couple hours at a nearby Lake Michigan beach, where we built sand castles, swam, and watched the glorious big boats and the swooping gulls and pelicans.

We'd take home enough blueberries in big coolers to freeze for winter, while still having enough to eat fresh for several days. Our moms turned buckets of berries into delectable pies, coffee cakes, muffins, and pancakes.

I'm surprised my skin isn't blue. And all the while, my eyesight grew progressively worse. Sigh... I guess I'm a poster child for how little truth there is to old wives' tales concerning medicinal properties of fruit.

But the blueberries have a rival for my "favorite" vote. In my back yard stood a pie cherry tree. Now that I know a little about cherry varieties, I can say it was probably a Montmorency. We ate the tart cherries fresh off the tree and also enjoyed them in whatever my mom baked--especially pies. Hot cherry sauce poured over ice cream also hit the spot. Add some hot fudge sauce to that, and OH BABY!

I can't think of a summer fruit I don't love but if I were on the proverbial desert island and could only have one or two summer fruit trees/bushes/vines, etc) with me, I'd have to choose blueberries and tart cherries for their deeply evocative connection to my Michigan childhood.

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

fresh fruit is the greatest Watermelon cantelope strawberries plums Damn now I have to go to Price Chopper

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

I believe Bob had the most correct answer so far. Cold, fresh Arkansas peaches. The cold juice runs down your face when you take a bite. Or sliced up in a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

I'm glad to see prospector said something french. Even though France may be full of fruits.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Cloudberry Buffaloberry Dwarf Bilberry Blueberry The last two are really beneficial to your eyesight, in fact in world war11, pilots were given bilberry sandwiches to improve their vision before they went out. Having had cataracts removed from both eyes, I am so aware of my eyes. Anyone lived where they said sandwitches, instead of sandwiches?

1029 4 years, 9 months ago

Definitely the lobster. Those things are delicious.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Before blue gets a chance to say it: I heard Michael's last words were "Can somebody please do something about that guy shouting on those commercials?"

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Saturday, eh? Thanks for the head's up, Ronda, I will be there. I am so glad they make it easy to use a Vision food card to get fresh fruits and vegetables at the market.

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines -- it is hard to pick just one.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Nilla wafer banana pudding with a extra high meringue, sugar on top.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Blackberries at room temp. with dark honey drizzled over them...Let sit until the berries and the honey blend. One of the Farmer's Market vendors said they should start coming in next Sat...and only become more plentiful after that....wonderful berry season this year.

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if Barb has someone peel her grapes.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

prospector, good one, what makes it funny is that technically you are right. Watermelon Cantaloupe

unelectable 4 years, 9 months ago

Berries straight from the bush or tree, still warm from the sun. Helps to cure the Heat.

What are the qualifications to be a domestic goddess? Can one be a domestic god?