Previous   Next

What is your favorite summertime fruit?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on June 28, 2009

Browse the archives

“Raw strawberries or with chocolate.”

“Ripe Elberta Freestone peaches.”

“Fresh strawberries”

“Fruit salad with fresh raspberries.”

Comments

unelectable 5 years, 4 months ago

Berries straight from the bush or tree, still warm from the sun. Helps to cure the Heat.

What are the qualifications to be a domestic goddess? Can one be a domestic god?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

prospector, good one, what makes it funny is that technically you are right. Watermelon Cantaloupe

Ronda Miller 5 years, 4 months ago

Blackberries at room temp. with dark honey drizzled over them...Let sit until the berries and the honey blend. One of the Farmer's Market vendors said they should start coming in next Sat...and only become more plentiful after that....wonderful berry season this year.

schula 5 years, 4 months ago

Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines -- it is hard to pick just one.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Saturday, eh? Thanks for the head's up, Ronda, I will be there. I am so glad they make it easy to use a Vision food card to get fresh fruits and vegetables at the market.

1029 5 years, 4 months ago

Definitely the lobster. Those things are delicious.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Cloudberry Buffaloberry Dwarf Bilberry Blueberry The last two are really beneficial to your eyesight, in fact in world war11, pilots were given bilberry sandwiches to improve their vision before they went out. Having had cataracts removed from both eyes, I am so aware of my eyes. Anyone lived where they said sandwitches, instead of sandwiches?

Ronda Miller 5 years, 4 months ago

Pye, I suppose you don't think carrots are good for your night vision either? Or that fruits and veggies in bright colors don't help prevent cancer?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

T.S. Elliott wrote," Do I dare to eat a peach?" in The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. In Face Off, Castor Troy(Nicolas Cage)says that he could eat a peach for hours. My opthamalogist told me about eating bilberries and blueberries, and I said that I had thought that to be a myth and he no, no it is quite true.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

very funny Multi! LOL!

oh the strawberry, with nothing on it!

when I was a kid we could pay the growers to go and glean in their strawberry fields two weeks after the pickers went through. wow.
lately, checkers has had strawberries from central california in, big sweet, yumm.

no it isn't technically a fruit, but favorite: |corn|! gimme the sweet corn, call it a fruit FGS! its almost here locally, just a few dozen hours now.
when I walk gnomedog sometimes I think I smell the corn on the wind, maybe wafting over from Bismarck Farms, grow that corn!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Now corn makes me think of Stephen Kings, The Children of the Corn, where people get lost in a vast corn field and run around forever. Every movie with a corn field is like that, it traps you, and they are endless. I wouldn't go into a corn field for anything. That might be my next blog, The Terror That Lurks In The Cornfield!

verity 5 years, 4 months ago

Irish, you just follow the row to get out of the cornfield. Never saw those movies, but I've never seen a cornfield that wasn't in rows.

Multi, now that was funny in a morbid sort of way. At the risk of being a really bad person, my first thought when I read that the really loud guy had died was does that mean I will never have to listen to him again.

Oh, the answer is strawberries---from the garden, not those ones you buy in the store.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

Pywacket,

Did you folks ever make blueberry buckle? Talk about a slice of heaven!

Multi, I don't think Irish would get the reference.