Previous   Next

How do you keep your cool when the heat is on?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on June 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“I laugh a lot.”

“I like to go out to Lone Star Lake.”

“Drink a lot of fluids, water and Gatorade.”

“Lately, floating down the Kaw with buddies.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

Keep plenty of liquids on hand and, if possible, stay in air conditioned environments...(go to the beer joint)

boy_genius 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm the first one to give a shout-out to nudity? Seriously?

Yea, nudity!

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 5 years, 1 month ago

If there is no ac? Refrigerate water in spray bottles for use in front of the fan naked.

Irish, yesterday you asked if anyone knew how to grow pineapples in Kansas. You can grow them in your ktichen just like avacados and sweet potatos.My mom would do this all the time.Buy a whole one from Walmart or Dillons. Cut the top off leaving one inch of the fruit part under the crown. Set it in a Large Cool Whip bowl and cover the crown with water. Change the water daily. If you really want it to grow well, add 1 tspoon of sugar and half tspoon of milk to the water. I would think soy milk would be even better. Ignore the mold as its normal for the bottom to turn all black and ugly. If it starts to smell too much, you can add some orange peels and wrap some aluminum foil around it. You can put in just a bit of baking soda, but not much. Don't use oxy clean because Mom killed one that way.Be patient. It will take a few months for the roots to start, and you'll feel like your wasting your time but its worth it. The blooms will come around Christmas time, and by next summer you will have pineapples.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Gotta go shave the lemurs, BRB.

somedude20 5 years, 1 month ago

"It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"

passionatelibra 5 years, 1 month ago

When my Son is home, I keep cool by wearing a tank top and boxer shorts while sitting under the ceiling fan (going full blast) in my living room. If I have my chair in the right spot I can feel the air from the a/c vent blowing right on me as well.

If my Son isn't home, I keep cool by closing the front blinds and sit naked under the ceiling fan (going full blast) in my living room. Again, if I have my chair in the right spot I can feel the air from the a/c vent blowing right on me as well.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Dateable_Shelter_Dude Thanks for the idea! I am going to try it. I will have to print out the instructions as I will in no way be able to remember them. I will also pass them on to family. I have always just accepted that in the summer you get hot and in the winter you get cold. Every summer it is the same thing. I wish people would stop telling me to stay cool. I hate that throwaway remark.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Autie, you might as well well write it like it's said. I always write it dao in class.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and today I get to beat the heat sitting in Watkins with a kidney stone!! Yay fun!!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

snap_pop_no_crackle Since you are so into lemurs I thought you would like my blog. Didn't even look at it did you?

Julie Craig 5 years, 1 month ago

Phil might want to go get tested. Floating in the Kaw? Ew!

passionatelibra 5 years, 1 month ago

prospector - I usually know when he's coming home before I venture forth sans clothes. Especially since he only has his learner's permit and I am usually the one taxi-ing him around. :oP~

T_O_B - Only pertinent because it's not a pretty picture! ;o)

passionatelibra 5 years, 1 month ago

prospector - I never thought about "The Force" but you're right. I use that mostly at night. Is he still up? Did I just hear him sneaking into the kitchen? Why is he going out to the balcony? I tend to be on alert at night more now that it's summertime.

Also, he takes after his Mom in a way and I do not want to run into him getting a drink in the middle of the night in just his undaroos. I don't know who would be more embaressed, me or him LOL

Deja Coffin 5 years, 1 month ago

Snow cone bikini will do the trick.

flux 5 years, 1 month ago

iM HUNG UP ON THE PINEAPPLE THING NOW

jaywalker 5 years, 1 month ago

Damn, jonas, go get that thing pulverized! Yowza!

When the heat is on I stay cool in my favorite hideout.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

I travel to Antarctica. They don't have a problem with heat down there.

Alternatively, I turn on the air conditioning. That helps ... until I have to go outside.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

If you're outside in this type of heat and naked it is still impossible not to be hot and sweaty. Skinny dipping can resolve that situation. You cannot take enough off.

Lemon and water is good. According to the news last night gatorade is a dehydrater.

Otherwise long sleeve summer gear is good to protect skin from the hot sun and mosquitos.

Shade trees are awesome.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

We've had a wonderful summer so far in Phoenix. This June, we even had the most days in a row (14) under 100 since 1913. Sweet. Of course, by the end of the week we will be up to the typical 110, but it was nice while it lasted.

Drink lots of water, keep outdoor activities in mid-day to a bare minimum, wear a hat when in the sun, and spend a small fortune to keep the ac cranking. That, and hit the swimming pool, preferably in the early evening as the sun is setting.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Fanning yourself with a copy of HR 676 won't help much.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 1 month ago

The pool and some nice frozen strawberry daiquiris:)

data- going to have to try the pineapple thing. had no idea. the kids will love it and it gives us something different than the normal things we plant and watch grow. thanks!!

kmat 5 years, 1 month ago

Jonas - it's mainly from getting dehydrated. I had the same thing happen this time last year. Drink lots of water. Lots!!!! It's gonna suck and once you get one they say you are prone to getting them again. I can tell I have a very small stone now, but not as bad as the big ones I had last year. And when the pain hits, I found it's better to lay on the floor. Find a position that is acceptable and don't move for a while.

I'll make you feel better. I work with a guy that had a few huge stones. They zapped them and broke them into little stones and he now has to pass over 30 of them. Can't imagine how bad that sucks.

Hang in there.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

jonas, they give you good pain killers, so the three or four days after they pulverize it aren't so bad, even if it does feel like passing shredded razor blades.............

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago

Generally, I don't keep "the heat on" during the warmer months.

frank mcguinness 5 years, 1 month ago

When I am hot I attend incontinence seminars where there is A/C

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

kmat, I think it's actually largely due to large infusions of birthday beer.

and thanks all, I am feeling better, but it's definitely still in there somewhere lurking

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

yum, birthday beer!..................

Tony Kisner 5 years, 1 month ago

R_I - you got a LOL on your son in the afgan. My problem is winter, daughters wearing shorts w/ wife beaters t-shirts. Dad why is it so cold in here!?

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

R_I: Errr. . . so? My birthdays last a long time.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

............hence the 'large infusions'?..............

gccs14r 5 years, 1 month ago

It's finally warm. Kansas has nine months of winter and three months of decent weather.

passionatelibra 5 years, 1 month ago

prospector - no more fan in the living room naked for me. My Son was supposed to stay at a friends house and he decided to come home early. Thanks to the Creator we have a chain door lock along with our deadbolt!

You must have seen into the future!