Previous   Next

Did you go to summer camp as a kid?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“I went to summer drama camp in Gage Park. … I learned how to build something as a group.”

“I went to 4-H camp in Junction City. … It was about leadership.”

“Yes, I did, I was active in Boy Scouts. …(I learned) how to canoe, tie knots and capture the flag.”

“Yes, I did. … I went to soccer and band camp.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

I typically went to at least two different camps for a week at a time during the summer. Actually, three once I hit high school and we went to band camp.

On another note, how does one retire from being a stay-at-home mom?

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

I wanted to but Father Flannigan said it just wasn't meant to be..........

trinity 5 years, 6 months ago

i was supposed to go to camp one time, when i was about 9...but developed a BAD case of poison ivy just before, so i had to stay home! :(

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

No camp, just vacation Bible school. It's part of what made me the agnostic I am today. Sister Mary Elephant would be so proud!!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 6 months ago

No summer camps.... But I did go camping one weekend. Spent one night in a tent, and the other night at Holiday Inn.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Camp Bartle with the Boy Scouts for probably 5 years in a row. It was wonderful to have terrible cases of poison ivy and athlete's foot at the same time, and the one summer that I had both of those And a herniated disc in my back, good times.

countrygirl 5 years, 6 months ago

4-H camp south of Junction City. I loved it!

sinverguenza 5 years, 6 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says…

"Once. Church camp in about ninth grade. Whew..did I learn a lot about the world."

Does that mean you lost your virginity at church camp? Because that's what the kids were doing back in my day.

Kat Christian 5 years, 6 months ago

NOPE, back when I was a kid our mothers didn't have to work so we got to spend our summers sleeping in later, swimming in our backyard pool or playing in our sprinkler. Playing with the neighborhood kids dodge ball, kick ball, red light, green light or mother may I. We'd wait for the popsicle truck, or the merry-go-round truck. Our mothers and our friends mothers raised us not strangers, daycare keepers that have no bond or connection to us. Sometimes we'd go to the beach or have a family picnic. Ahhhh those were the days with great memories. I feel so guilty when I have to awake my 8 yr. old (grandson) so early and tote him off to daycare. He complains - even though he has fun sometimes he really would rather stay home with me and have us have the fun together. Unfortunately I have to work fulltime - don't we all.

dajudge 5 years, 6 months ago

I did music 4H camp at Rock Springs once. Loved it. Also did Boy Scout camp, but we also did weekend camping with the boy scouts. I loved the biscuits on a stick thing for our cooking fun at the campfire.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

Never went to a summer camp during my youth. My kids have attended a few.
We saved all the money we had to compete in horseshows on the weekends. I had lots of friends I would see every week or two.

lpfann 5 years, 6 months ago

I went to band camp for six years, from before my 7th grade year to before my senior year of high school. Good times. I also did space camp, and an outdoor camp when I was still in elementary school. My summers were always busy!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow, you just never know what people are going to want to comment on. Roe, I liked your link. I think. You must be the king of the You Tube researchers. I still look at Tutu Lees' vid. Does anyone know what happened to him? I don't think summer camp had been invented when I was young.

passionatelibra 5 years, 6 months ago

My parents couldn't afford camp so we just terrorized the neighborhood. We played kick the can a LOT.

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 5 years, 6 months ago

Scouting taught me what has ending up saving my life, and I'm very grateful.

Still seeking soulmate