Previous   Next

Did you go to summer camp as a kid?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“I went to summer drama camp in Gage Park. … I learned how to build something as a group.”

“I went to 4-H camp in Junction City. … It was about leadership.”

“Yes, I did, I was active in Boy Scouts. …(I learned) how to canoe, tie knots and capture the flag.”

“Yes, I did. … I went to soccer and band camp.”

Comments

bronze 4 years, 10 months ago

yes scouting at Lake Perry!

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 4 years, 10 months ago

Scouting taught me what has ending up saving my life, and I'm very grateful.

Still seeking soulmate

75x55 4 years, 10 months ago

Summer camp - what a luxury.

passionatelibra 4 years, 10 months ago

My parents couldn't afford camp so we just terrorized the neighborhood. We played kick the can a LOT.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow, you just never know what people are going to want to comment on. Roe, I liked your link. I think. You must be the king of the You Tube researchers. I still look at Tutu Lees' vid. Does anyone know what happened to him? I don't think summer camp had been invented when I was young.

lpfann 4 years, 10 months ago

I went to band camp for six years, from before my 7th grade year to before my senior year of high school. Good times. I also did space camp, and an outdoor camp when I was still in elementary school. My summers were always busy!

SwineFlu 4 years, 10 months ago

I went to summer camp as a kid in the summer between 5th and 6th grades. It was cool.

I know someone in Lawrence, a bartender, which was a boyscout in Wichita. Guess who is scout leader was.....B.T.K.

True Story.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

Never went to a summer camp during my youth. My kids have attended a few.
We saved all the money we had to compete in horseshows on the weekends. I had lots of friends I would see every week or two.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Not exactly a kid anymore, but considering going to Appleseed camp...

dajudge 4 years, 10 months ago

I did music 4H camp at Rock Springs once. Loved it. Also did Boy Scout camp, but we also did weekend camping with the boy scouts. I loved the biscuits on a stick thing for our cooking fun at the campfire.

Kat Christian 4 years, 10 months ago

NOPE, back when I was a kid our mothers didn't have to work so we got to spend our summers sleeping in later, swimming in our backyard pool or playing in our sprinkler. Playing with the neighborhood kids dodge ball, kick ball, red light, green light or mother may I. We'd wait for the popsicle truck, or the merry-go-round truck. Our mothers and our friends mothers raised us not strangers, daycare keepers that have no bond or connection to us. Sometimes we'd go to the beach or have a family picnic. Ahhhh those were the days with great memories. I feel so guilty when I have to awake my 8 yr. old (grandson) so early and tote him off to daycare. He complains - even though he has fun sometimes he really would rather stay home with me and have us have the fun together. Unfortunately I have to work fulltime - don't we all.

sinverguenza 4 years, 10 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says…

"Once. Church camp in about ninth grade. Whew..did I learn a lot about the world."

Does that mean you lost your virginity at church camp? Because that's what the kids were doing back in my day.

BABBOY 4 years, 10 months ago

I went to Don Fambrough football camp. I guess that dates me a little. (He was nutty in a good way by the way)

Donnuts 4 years, 10 months ago

Sailing, repelling, orienteering, swimming... just to name a bit of it. I sure wish I could have completed scouts. It was great. Went to a church camp in mid missouri that my sister worked at eventually. They had horse riding and other activities with a big hill to sit on and watch the moon and campfires with storytelling.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Prospector, that pat on the back might be good in theory. But kids are like the dog from down the street...someone gave him a piece of chicken one day and he keeps coming back over.

edjayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Several but Ted Owens BB Camp was my favorite.

countrygirl 4 years, 10 months ago

4-H camp south of Junction City. I loved it!

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

Sure

ohjayhawk, when they turn eighteen give them a hardy pat on the back, send them out the door, and change the locks.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Jonas, sure that wasn't camp Barteldes? nobody like poison ivy, nobody.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Camp Bartle with the Boy Scouts for probably 5 years in a row. It was wonderful to have terrible cases of poison ivy and athlete's foot at the same time, and the one summer that I had both of those And a herniated disc in my back, good times.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Space camp. I found out the moon landings were faked.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

No summer camps.... But I did go camping one weekend. Spent one night in a tent, and the other night at Holiday Inn.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

No camp, just vacation Bible school. It's part of what made me the agnostic I am today. Sister Mary Elephant would be so proud!!

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

i was supposed to go to camp one time, when i was about 9...but developed a BAD case of poison ivy just before, so i had to stay home! :(

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

I wanted to but Father Flannigan said it just wasn't meant to be..........

ohjayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I typically went to at least two different camps for a week at a time during the summer. Actually, three once I hit high school and we went to band camp.

On another note, how does one retire from being a stay-at-home mom?

blue73harley 4 years, 10 months ago

Hello Muddah, hello Faddah Here I am at camp Grenada Camp is very entertaining And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining