Previous   Next

Do you like to dance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do, to techno music. … You lose control and you go crazy.”

“No. … I never learned how to do it properly.”

“No, it’s too out there.”

“Oh yeah; it’s fun and a good workout.”

Comments

labmonkey 5 years, 6 months ago

— Annette Krause, professional volunteer, Des Moines

Isn't professional volunteer an oxymoron?

GetAlongGang 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes, it is.

Sounds like partying with the Krauses would be a real blast. Ever drink a beer Rick? "No, it's too out there." Kiss a woman in the rain? "No, it's too out there." Put cheese on your burger? "No, it's too out there."

Annette, dancing is not something you have to learn to do properly. Just move around and let loose. It is not like you are being judged.

I think it is safe to say that those two are a good match for each other. Bet they are both firecrackers in the sack.

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Used to, became too self conscious when told it appeared I had a rash, or crawly things under my clothes...........

labmonkey 5 years, 6 months ago

I am every bad white stereotype when it comes to dancing... so I don't.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 6 months ago

I like to dance around the hard questions.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

Never danced, never will. I also think it is too "out there". I don't even like to watch dancing on television. RI I found this definition of Mosh it up. "This term originates among Rastafari, and nobody knows if it is mash it up, mess it up, etc. For Rasta, moshing it up means destroying Babylon System which means paying respects and praises and learning from the tree of knoweldge. Young rastas mosh it up when they resist totalitarian police, when they demonstrate, and when they fight. For thrasmetal fans, moshing it up is destroying conformity and defying authority. Typically seen in pits in front of stage areas, moshing it up for thrashers is a way to demonstrate contempt for and agression to pressure. Typically involves slamdancing, skanking, agressive expressions of all types. Similarly, a thrashmetal musician can mosh it up when he/she is really good." Is this what you are writing about? Where do you do it in Lawrence?

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Dance? Sure. Why not. Just don't ever try to get me to take part in a line dance! Mass conformity on a dance floor is a product of Satan.

Nick Yoho 5 years, 6 months ago

forget your troubles and dance forget your weakness and dance forget your worries and dance dance to Jah music Dance!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

Okay, I may be missing out on something here. If I can find instructions on you tube I will dance (some) in the living room to see what happens. What do you posters think of the tree house on campus? Isn't it lovely? I am still working on my stick modal of the HMS Surprise. Anyone know where to find the best free sticks? Off topic, yes. For some reason just popped into my mind. The thoughts in my mind are like kernels of corn in the pan, pop, pop, pop. That's why I just feel so at home here.

passionatelibra 5 years, 6 months ago

I wanted to go dancing last night and there was nowhere in Lawrence I could think of that wasn't full of young drunk college kids.

I am old school for the most part. I prefer the old R&B and a very few of the newer R&B when it comes to dancing. Back home I was known to kick up my heels at the Silver Spur at least once a month as well.

Mixolydian 5 years, 6 months ago

Only intoxicated and only to Ida McBeth live.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 6 months ago

autie, there are so many songs of Dylan's to dance to...and some of them are the kind you can snuggle up and actually have a partner with.

I will dance to any music, any time...Love to dance and have enjoyed dancing weight off with Zumba. Just relax and let the beat take control of your mind and your body will do the rest.

What a fun way to exercise....and yes, people actually do judge you when you dance...but who cares!

passionatelibra 5 years, 6 months ago

Ronda - The second link you put up (Happy Feet) is still me even after losing some weight. ;oP~

I love to dance! I don't know how but I do love it. I miss the unexpected dances, grabbing one of my kids (before preteen age) while in a parking lot and dancing with them. They used to love that. I also miss being with my Mom in the kitchen listening to music. My Dad would walk in, grab her hand and dance with her.

If you ever see someone in the store singing along with the music and shaking her booty a lil bit, more times than not, (surprisingly) it's me.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 6 months ago

Multi, you're funny! I take it you preferred dancing with the neighbor's spouse to dancing with your own? Heck, I wouldn't have blamed you! I haven't been dancing since I was about 23. It was at a co-worker's 25th anniversary party. The guy who came and asked me to dance could not get the steps to a simple waltz right, and waaayyy too much etoh on his breath. Yuck!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 5 years, 6 months ago

I will die dancing, singing and coughing up blood!~)

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

only ballroom dancing, I'm told I'm rather good at it.

but I don't just put an arm around and move together with just any woman. part of being a good ballroom dancer if you're a man is having the attitude of a gentleman.

Py, it is easy, otherwise I wouldn't be good at it!!!

you can do this!

I assume this is what you meant by romantic dancing Ronada?

Irish, you just haven't had the right man to dance with yet.

in a week or so I'm going to put up a blog: "interactive personals" so maybe you could list you're looking for a good dance partner.
I'm working out how to intro this blog, and what warnings to include, i.e. only adults, don't yell at me if your date is a true schlub, etc.

passionatelibra 5 years, 6 months ago

gnome - That's along the lines of the blog I am getting ready to start on trying to date in this town at my age. I've almost finished reading one of the advice books I checked out from the library. There is so much conflicting advice LOL

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

PL, yes you and I talked about that. your blog, you should definitely write it! what I'm putting together would be in the same general topic area.

riverdrifter 5 years, 6 months ago

I danced to the Kingsmen with a chick. Don't remember where it was -don't think it was Oak Lodge. Maybe downtown Lawrence someplace. Their jackets were pale yellow. They could flat rock it. Kingsmen. Yes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WcgqXMncf4

passionatelibra 5 years, 6 months ago

Gnome - You're right. I forgot I had talked to you about that. I can be such a forgetful one at times...

trinity 5 years, 6 months ago

i LOVE to dance! and tend to do it like nobody's watching. don't really care about snarky comments, observations, or judgments from others. and line dancing? it is really fun! honest! and can be great exercise! life's too short to not dance. period. it just feels good.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

trinity I have come full circle on this dance thing. Try this out and let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUn3W...