Previous   Next

What bugs bother you the most?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 12, 2009

Browse the archives

“Cockroaches, because they multiply and they’re scary and they get into everything.”

“Mosquitoes, because they bite and itch.”

“Bees, because they’re annoying and they hurt when they sting you.”

“Gnats, because they just fly around you and land on you.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

oh look! don nuts is communicating something in a secret code. maybe something about yellow women?

personally, I like yellow women, brown women, white women, black women, red women, tan women, blue women, orange women (think cheetos), etc.

Donnuts 4 years, 10 months ago

wuggga wugga wugga wugga... wugga wugga.

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

the ones downtown that say got any change

compmd 4 years, 10 months ago

Well for me, I have to go with "all."

But I absolutely hate those camelback crickets, they can get huge and scare the bejeesus out of me whenever I see one.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says…

I'm game. Do you have a recipe for the jam? -- Last night I responded to my niece's email asking why no one could cook like her southern heritage mother, and I told her one probability was that sugar was in about everything, including green beans. I read the above comment and thought, you mostly just buckets of sugar to make any jam...and then I got to R_I's comment. Of course, we do tend to have a little iced tea with our sugar.

(southern descendant chuckles)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Electronic/surveillance... always listening in on my centipede conversations with writhin' Ronda.

( ... or was that centiPete? )

Nick Yoho 4 years, 10 months ago

we love our mulberries!

Clothes lines would be much cheaper and sustainable than running a dryer. Why , WHY! did I pull out my clothesline poles!

bugs can be irritating, but, who are we to complain?

slappedyomomma 4 years, 10 months ago

some of you should run into a bunch of ticks, then your "worst" bug will change. i guarantee it.

2 years ago i caught Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. i have never felt so awful in my entire life. 2 weeks of hell. spray religiously before you head anywhere ticks are. between the RMSF, Ehrlichiosis, and Lyme disease, i would rather get bitten/stung by any other bug than a tick.

Ceallach 4 years, 10 months ago

RI, probably was . . that's about the time many of us were always hanging our laundry on clotheslines. No longer have the lines but I'm still plagued by the poles they were tied to :\

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

I remember when my daughter, a teen, knocked on the back door to be let in. When I asked why she didn't come in the front, she said that "they" wouldn't let her in. I opened the door and there was a straight line of cicada's, right across the door. She absolutely refused to step over them! I think they look like they are wearing camo.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Ceal, I thought that was how tie dying got it's start.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

I make the jam in my bread machine. but basic recipe pick, wash, crush, simmer, strain, add a bit of lemon juice, I don't add sugar, boil, add a bit of pectin if you need it, pour into jars and seal. small batches work better than big batches.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Scorpions. Can't stand 'em, and can't seem to get rid of 'em. Life in Arizona.

donnuts: "Those dam rereleased VW bugs and the wretched lying women that drive them. Especially the yellow ones."

Now what have yellow women done to you to make you so upset?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm game. Do you have a recipe for the jam?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B, Not picking and canning? You as the biscuit afficinado I know you are, have to love mulberry jam.
Nothing finer than mulberries for lunch while haying the first cutting. I dump the kids in the frontloader, then lift them high in the air so they can pick the berries.

Ceallach 4 years, 10 months ago

I, too, am blessed with a Mulberry tree; and I'm thankful that I no longer need to hang laundry out to dry.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

house centipedes because when I kill them as they run overhead their legs fall on top of me and I twitch and itch (as do the legs) forever after. I don't like feeling a spider's web across my face either...makes me think a spider will be peeking around into my face at any moment...reminds me of ret.....

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

My driveway is serving as host to a bunch of splattered mulberries. Feel free to come out and scrape up the jam.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Darn, Just figured out it is mulberry jam time. Or at least mulberry spread time.

Ceallach 4 years, 10 months ago

That would be the dreaded Jitter Bugs. They got so bad I had to switch to decaf.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

jonas, I would try to avoid the bowerstock dam.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

in season and out, the bug that bugs me the most: Merrill. If those annoying blood-sucking insects haven’t started bugging you yet, get ready. Local health and bug experts expect a larger number of summer insects this year, as compared with last year.

bug experts? Bugologists? bugientists? bugiticians? entomologists-no it can't be that, "ents" were tolkien's trees weren't they? entertainment, that bugs me. entrance, to be preoccupied with bugs?

bugs...words about bugs bug me. articles about bugs bug me.

Don Nuts, you just about put a name on that VW-bug driver there buddy. she treat you wrong buddy?

and, who in he|| mentioned the traderoutes? how dare you.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Holy crap. Civil disobedience at its finest. First a leash law then what. They'll be packs of wild dogs roaming all over Douglas county ravaging the trade routes.

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

Jonas, try Lone Star Lake, cross over the dam and use the west side unless there is a leash law out there. If so, break it. Power to the people!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

At least we don't have radioactive wasps like they do in Washington state.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

"Does Lonestar Lake allow dogs to swim by their beach? I seem to recall being there with a dog before."

I haven't been to Lonestar in awhile, but IIRC, no booze on the beach. This may have been changed or I might be making something up.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

From the citation:

autie (Anonymous) says…

The fear monger beetle; Novadecia tradius routicus marioniensis

labmonkey 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe-

I know what you mean about ticks. Chiggers seem to like to bite there also...

Right now, I hate grubs, because they are food to moles, which are tearing up my yard. I am putting some Gurb-X down today. I will try to starve the moles out of my yard.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

O-Bob: The goal is for several humans and dogs to be able to swim at once, and chill with drinks. I don't know if those rocks are quite ideal for that.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

The little gnat-like things that sound like they're saying "watch the trade routes, watch the trade routes" as they buzz around.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

R_I, Porci con le ali makes for some fine bacon but the shoulder hams are a bit stringy.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Jonas - The dam at Clinton. You can walk down to the lake on the rocks.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Volkswagon Bugs. The new yuppie ones.

On a separate note, are there any good spots around the lakes near town where you can take a dog to swim, without having to founder through the unkept spots covered with poison ivy? If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

The ones with big sunglasses.

Favorite, mud bugs!

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

I've seen a house fly and a deer fly but I ain't never seen an elephant fly.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

MeandFannieLou, You need to get house centipedes, Natural predator of them.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

The deer fly with their saliva coated mandible.

At dusk, when I'm sweaty, I will have welts the size of Rhode Island on my back, and no amount of scraping on the porch post will satisfy the itch.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 10 months ago

Cicadas are cool. Flies are pesky.

sinverguenza 4 years, 10 months ago

MeandFannieLou - I hate those too.

But June bugs and grasshoppers really get me - they attack! Ick.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

schula, do refer to the cicadas? or the grasshoppers?

I refer to both as "bait".

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

You might as well get along with the bugs. If you are fortunate enough to survive the riots, it'll be Keith Richards, you and the bugs left to survey the carnage.

/Hicks'd

schula 4 years, 10 months ago

Locusts -- I am deathly afraid of them. If I see one, I am almost petrified!

blue73harley 4 years, 10 months ago

The termites that like to munch on my house.

MeAndFannieLou 4 years, 10 months ago

Anybody else have those camelback crickets? They look like a cross between crickets and cockroaches - long antennae like roaches, and they jump like crickets. And they don't necessarily jump forward, so you never know which way they're going to go so it's hard to avoid them.

Eew, ick.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

PETA bugs me the most... because they are a PIA (pain in ***)

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

ticks............ because they don't need to go there......

Donnuts 4 years, 10 months ago

Here, let me dip my donnut in some coffee...