Previous   Next

Have you ever thought of starting your own business?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on June 5, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have. I produce my own radio program, and I am hoping to expand.”

“I’ve thought about the idea but have never pursued it. The cost is the prohibitive factor for me.”

“Yes, I have, but decided not to. I did not enjoy seeing little businesses ripped apart by all the taxes they had to pay.”

“Yes, I have, but haven’t taken that big leap yet.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Have you ever thought of starting your own business?

yes, mind my own...........

trinity 6 years, 1 month ago

i'd love to start up a really cool bar/restaurant/club thingie-but lack the business sense. damn.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Snap's College of Cheese Making and Taxidermy is doing great. Next month we're running a special on marmots.

Mary Darst 6 years, 1 month ago

I wanted to move back to my home town and open a shop that would have been like the The Third Planet. I also wanted to sell speciality cookies. I even had the building picked out. It had an apartment on the top floor. Oh well...

zettapixel 6 years, 1 month ago

Thought about it? Too many times to remember...

Started my first software company way back in 6th grade... sold a grand total of 3 programs!

Started a computer consulting firm right out of high school. Made 6 figures my first year... got stabbed in the back by my partner (also my uncle) the next year and hit an all time low.

Started a couple of indie record labels. Got some of my own tunes on MTV and was "this close" to getting one of my bands signed to Warner Brothers when the band decided they were going to go with some other dude that promised them the world... and well, you know, I told the A&R rep from WB... "We're just not interested anymore, sorry." Last I heard, the dude was suing the band over some merchandise issues and they're still stuck playing podunk bars and clubs.

Started a software company specializing in Palm OS software. Sold it to another company for cash and stock. Got to design custom software for the guy that produced, the song Bette Davis Eyes.

Started a web hosting company called Elite Minds that's still up and running.

Started a photography studio called ZettaPixel Photography. Somehow I got pretty decent at photography along the way and people liked my work. It's on hiatus at the moment, but I may go back to photography.

Started a photography studio called Barely Nice Photography. Once again, people liked my glamour / erotic photography work, and I've had the pleasure of photographing some of the most beautiful women in the Lawrence area. This is also on hiatus at the moment.

Now working on starting a new art gallery called 10DW Art Gallery. I've got the website up and running and hope to have a bricks and mortar location here in Lawrence within the year. It's something I've always wanted to do, so I figured... "Why not?"

Now along the way I've also started and sold, started and closed, and thought about starting a wide variety of businesses. Everything from a fad "fast food" diet to a personal safety store that sold stun guns, pepper spray, etc.

So have I ever thought of starting my own business? You betcha!

geekin_topekan 6 years, 1 month ago

"FBN Movers"

Black truck, black jumpsuits and face paint. Specializing in midnight moves. We'll have you gone by daybreak. Distressed women, men who've come to their senses, lease jumpers/defaulters, business splits w/o mediation, etc.

Hostile environments, our specialty.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I thought about opening a business. Then I did open a business.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

Monkey business, funny business, dirty business, naughty business.

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

I opened a business here in Lawrence and have it on the LJW Marketplace. It's a side activity for me. I do database analysis of menu items for restaurants so they can post the calories, fat, sodium, etc. on their menus. It's really slow to get started. Been doing since Jan. 2008 and have had three jobs. Sen. Tom Harkin introduced the Menu Education and Labeling Act (MEAL) which would require posting nutrition info on menus. It's coming.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

No, TOB, I require that my subjects wear clothes. Nudity isn't really my niche. That's why I haven't photographed swimming or volleyball. (Just kidding! Probably.)

livetocook 6 years, 1 month ago

LJW, Are you sure this question was asked at the Merc on June 5, 2009? Sure doesn't look like June in the photos. Maybe February or March.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

"I'd like to if I had a legitimate idea."

I think G. Topekan has a legit idea for you.

ms_canada 6 years, 1 month ago

I once thought it would be neat to run/own a wee restaurant. It would have a great rustic type decor and specialize in European menu items. BUT living with a man with his own business, who works 365 a year and struggles to take time for a vacation, I am so glad that I never ventured into the food business. At first it was great working with my husband building his construction business. Helping with the decor of the houses and apartments he has built, but now it is a strain and I wish he would just retire. He doesn't know what that word means. I've had it with owning a business. I sometimes think that it is the other way around. The business owns us. Phooooey

Satirical 6 years, 1 month ago

I opened a Five Finger Discount Store. Unfortunately I wasn't able to restock once all my inventory was gone. Still can't figure out what happened.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

National Health Insurance would sure help new business owners. They would have coverage 24/7 and could put more money into the business and hire a few people.

Satirical 6 years, 1 month ago

Merrill... "National Health Insurance would sure help new business owners."

Yeah, I am sure the extra taxes wouldn't have any effect on new business. Oh wait, do you still think the "rich" are going to pay for it all? LOL.

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

I owned my own business for 10 years. After that time, I said "about time to sell out, shed some risk, and lock in some profits." That was probably the right thing to do from a financial point of view, but I wish I hadn't done it. Owning a business was 10 times easier than being a "middle manager" in a company owned by someone else.