Previous   Next

Would you ever consider switching to a mostly raw or uncooked food diet?

Asked at Five Guys Burgers and Fries, 2040 W. 31st St. on June 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, if it’s just vegetables and fruits, that’s fine.”

“No. That wouldn’t satisfy me at all. I’ve got to have my meat.”

“I don’t think so, it just sounds gross.”

“No. I’ve just become accustomed to my diet after 58 years; there’s no point in changing now.”

Comments

demonfury 4 years, 10 months ago

And they ask this question at a hamburger joint? Brilliant !!!!

H_Lecter 4 years, 10 months ago

Eating raw provides such an extraordinary change in flavor and tactile sensations. It requires a much sharper knife...as the meat doesn't just fall off the bone.

75x55 4 years, 10 months ago

As long as my neck doesn't look like it's broken.....

[man, that photo pose is just unnerving...]

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Well Ha..my wife is going out of town Saturday and I be going...fishing? yes, fishing.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Ben -

I'm within spitting distance of Shawnee and we have company coming in from out of town. I will probably skip Night Ranger, but chicks with axes is something that needs to be seen. I'll see what the wife and out of town guests have planned for Friday night. Sounds like an interesting and inexpensive evening with the young kids. Sadly, I have to go to a wedding on Saturday. Hate.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

I was fine with my raw/uncooked food diet. Then Roadkillarmadillonda pushed her way to my stove and fouled the cave.

BenSmith 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Bob, Yes Old Shawnee Days is outstanding! Wonderful festival, plus free to attend so a great day out. If you come out to the Night Ranger concert I'll even give you a pair of tickets for the VIP sponsor area right in front of the stage AND personally introduce you to the said chicks with axes. Obviously you are a man of exquisite taste!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

I usually can ignore ads on websites, but let me tell you, Old Shawnee Days looks outstanding. Night Ranger and chicks with axes? Sold.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Why, yes I do. I've even matriculated in the presence of thespians.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Quote from "Road to Wellsville": "Dr. John Harvey Kellogg: My own stools, Sir, are gigantic and have no more odor than a hot biscuit."

kmat 4 years, 10 months ago

The raw diet (which doesn't mean eating raw meat) is the best thing we can do for our bodies and you will be healthier and live longer. Multiple studies prove this.

I won't be able to move to a completely raw diet, but have gone back to a vegetarian diet packed with lots of proteins and I feel so much better. People are actually surprised when they try it for just a week and see the difference just one week of vegetarian living (and that includes not eating processed foods) makes in their physical and mental state. And, you really don't miss that processed food like you'd think you would.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Nor will I give up my use of the wheel. Besides, I'm too big a fan of pop corn. Without the fire, the kernels are hell on one's teeth.

Fire. Good.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 10 months ago

And I quote, "I am not an animal!" Jerry Senfeld

dee66044 4 years, 10 months ago

nothing but chicken all the time??? not after reading the china study. I like it raw.

Dan Alexander 4 years, 10 months ago

So Marion is a vampire then or is it werewolf. I can't ever keep them straight...

denak 4 years, 10 months ago

I think there are some health benefits to eating things uncooked but I think the health benefits come more from what we are not doing when we eat things raw or uncooked.

In other words, if you are cooking your food in vegetable oil, then it isn't probably all that healthy. It probably is healthier to eat it uncooked. But if you cut out the oil as much as possible, then it probably isn't that bad for you.

With that said, I think we should try to eat as much natural food as possible. I know from experience that I feel better also when I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. (Sorry Catzilla, can't drink the soy milk) And there are some things that I think just taste better raw....like Spinach. Cooked spinach is just slimy.

But we are a nation of carnivores. We are not going to give up our ribs, hotdogs, beef, chicken etc.

We just have to balance it out with healthier things and more importantly, get off our rumps and move.

That would do more good then eating raw or uncooked foods, in my opinon.

Dena

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

snap, If it is served cold, it counts in my book.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

hee hee. dee, I know someone who lost 180 lbs in one year eating small portions of cooked chicken and wasn't hungry. Go figure.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Our President eats at Five Guys. I go there for their fries. Fruit, no I don't touch, I have pb and j for lunch.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

"Eat raw!"

It just sounds so...

Dirty.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

R_I, I had a typographic error once...read that map backwards and what I thought was a valley turned out to be a high ridge...had to change course.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B, We all have our typograpy errors...

dajudge 4 years, 10 months ago

But that would leave out the eating of the apple pie, cherry cobbler, fried eggs, biscuits, and everything delicious. I guess I could try it for about an hour. Is beer cooked?

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

Diet schmiet! What, are you saying I'm fat! You want raw? Bite me!

Eating, the Nanny State wants to deprive us of the pleasures of being a Gourmand. No smoked meats, you will have to take them from my cold greasy hands!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

"Propane: Truly the gas of the Gods." Theologian R_I

Of the "Gods?" You quote christian scripture and then imply that a gas is the gas of multiple gods. Something is fishy here.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

I like my salads and fruit, but I think I would crave meat and an occasional pasta salad and chocoloate ice cream.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Possum tartare? I don't think so.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

so this poor guy had to cook for five women at the same time? and I guess the five outside in the dark probably had to clean up after supper. Hmm..and I always thought the autie produced methane and sulfur dioxide was the gas of the gods..go figure.

bronze 4 years, 10 months ago

only in detention or in Gitmo!

Catzilla 4 years, 10 months ago

You ask this at Five Guys?? When I eat salads, raw veggies, fruit, nuts, soy milk I feel better physically and mentally than when I eat burgers and fries, ice cream, candy bars. And believe me I enjoy the latter while I'm eating it, but afterword I feel like crap and wished I hadn't indulged. It's actually really easy to train yourself to eat and enjoy healthy food. Try it! It's good preventive medicine.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

autie, Of the ten virgins in the parable, five of them were wise, and five were foolish. The five who had brought oil with them were ready went in with the bridegroom to the wedding; and the door was shut. The five foolish ones, were left in the cold and dark.

Don't be a foolish virgin... Propane: Truly the gas of the Gods.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them. - Matthew 25:3

So they couldn't fry anything and had to eat in the dark? I guess that would be rather foolish. Hope they had plenty of charcoal and a bic lighter.

bronze 4 years, 10 months ago

just a fad.

bring out the old VEGAMATIC juicer...........good for some meals but not all the time.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

I could probably live off of sushi, but they do cook the rice, don't they. And Sushi means seasoned rice, not raw fish.

bronze 4 years, 10 months ago

what happened to 5,000 years of learning gourmet cuisine?

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

Why should I even consider it?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B,

They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them.
- Matthew 25:3

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

Sorry Bill. That is Maher. Bad is me.

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

. No. I could not eat raw meat of anykind...But Michael Pollan was on Bill Mayer on Friday taking about his documentary on food today. It is a little scary. Makes you think about what you are eating and why there is a problem with obesity.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

Never met the man great enough to make me think that crazy. --

On the other hand..if we're talking about going to all cookie dough, I never thought about going full time, but hey, if it they put that on the pyramid, I'm in!

salad 4 years, 10 months ago

"If God didn't intend for us to eat cows, pigs, and chickens, then why did he make them soooooooooo delicious????" -Pat Dixon

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Would you eat a partially cooked really thin pancake? I think not. The batter would run through the tines of the fork...no good.

parrotuya 4 years, 10 months ago

Vegetarianism is a cult.

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

"And fire is best fueled by propane." R_I

Ahhh, R_I and his lies are out early this morning.

Oh, and hell no on the raw thing. Doesn't make any sense to eat raw chicken and pork.

zettapixel 4 years, 10 months ago

Whatever happened to the middle way? Some foods raw... some foods cooked... tummy happy!

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

and they ask this question at a burger joint? Sorta skewing your data field right off the bat, eh? The answer to the question is an emphatic No. It would be rather difficult to hammer down a "mostly uncooked" rib. And the bbq chicken would be yucky.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

No. Fire is what separates us from Old World monkeys.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

Why would anyone do something like that??? NO!!!!

I like fried green tomatoes

Marion Lynn 4 years, 10 months ago

I kind of like to share raw steak with Indy, Rocky and Izzy.

I defrost them in the microwave and serve them up!

Sometimes I slice the steaks into strips and toss them into the wok but only for warming.

Steak, like revenge, is best served bloody!

Donnuts 4 years, 10 months ago

I have tried, but growing up with prepared foods it is really hard to give up I just crave it once in a while.