Previous   Next

Would you ever consider switching to a mostly raw or uncooked food diet?

Asked at Five Guys Burgers and Fries, 2040 W. 31st St. on June 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, if it’s just vegetables and fruits, that’s fine.”

“No. That wouldn’t satisfy me at all. I’ve got to have my meat.”

“I don’t think so, it just sounds gross.”

“No. I’ve just become accustomed to my diet after 58 years; there’s no point in changing now.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Why would anyone do something like that??? NO!!!!

I like fried green tomatoes

zettapixel 6 years, 1 month ago

Whatever happened to the middle way? Some foods raw... some foods cooked... tummy happy!

salad 6 years, 1 month ago

"If God didn't intend for us to eat cows, pigs, and chickens, then why did he make them soooooooooo delicious????" -Pat Dixon

Mary Darst 6 years, 1 month ago

. No. I could not eat raw meat of anykind...But Michael Pollan was on Bill Mayer on Friday taking about his documentary on food today. It is a little scary. Makes you think about what you are eating and why there is a problem with obesity.

Mary Darst 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry Bill. That is Maher. Bad is me.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

I could probably live off of sushi, but they do cook the rice, don't they. And Sushi means seasoned rice, not raw fish.

Catzilla 6 years, 1 month ago

You ask this at Five Guys?? When I eat salads, raw veggies, fruit, nuts, soy milk I feel better physically and mentally than when I eat burgers and fries, ice cream, candy bars. And believe me I enjoy the latter while I'm eating it, but afterword I feel like crap and wished I hadn't indulged. It's actually really easy to train yourself to eat and enjoy healthy food. Try it! It's good preventive medicine.

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

I like my salads and fruit, but I think I would crave meat and an occasional pasta salad and chocoloate ice cream.

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

But that would leave out the eating of the apple pie, cherry cobbler, fried eggs, biscuits, and everything delicious. I guess I could try it for about an hour. Is beer cooked?

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 1 month ago

Our President eats at Five Guys. I go there for their fries. Fruit, no I don't touch, I have pb and j for lunch.

denak 6 years, 1 month ago

I think there are some health benefits to eating things uncooked but I think the health benefits come more from what we are not doing when we eat things raw or uncooked.

In other words, if you are cooking your food in vegetable oil, then it isn't probably all that healthy. It probably is healthier to eat it uncooked. But if you cut out the oil as much as possible, then it probably isn't that bad for you.

With that said, I think we should try to eat as much natural food as possible. I know from experience that I feel better also when I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. (Sorry Catzilla, can't drink the soy milk) And there are some things that I think just taste better raw....like Spinach. Cooked spinach is just slimy.

But we are a nation of carnivores. We are not going to give up our ribs, hotdogs, beef, chicken etc.

We just have to balance it out with healthier things and more importantly, get off our rumps and move.

That would do more good then eating raw or uncooked foods, in my opinon.

Dena

Dan Alexander 6 years, 1 month ago

So Marion is a vampire then or is it werewolf. I can't ever keep them straight...

dee66044 6 years, 1 month ago

nothing but chicken all the time??? not after reading the china study. I like it raw.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

And I quote, "I am not an animal!" Jerry Senfeld

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Nor will I give up my use of the wheel. Besides, I'm too big a fan of pop corn. Without the fire, the kernels are hell on one's teeth.

Fire. Good.

kmat 6 years, 1 month ago

The raw diet (which doesn't mean eating raw meat) is the best thing we can do for our bodies and you will be healthier and live longer. Multiple studies prove this.

I won't be able to move to a completely raw diet, but have gone back to a vegetarian diet packed with lots of proteins and I feel so much better. People are actually surprised when they try it for just a week and see the difference just one week of vegetarian living (and that includes not eating processed foods) makes in their physical and mental state. And, you really don't miss that processed food like you'd think you would.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Quote from "Road to Wellsville": "Dr. John Harvey Kellogg: My own stools, Sir, are gigantic and have no more odor than a hot biscuit."

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Why, yes I do. I've even matriculated in the presence of thespians.

BenSmith 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Bob, Yes Old Shawnee Days is outstanding! Wonderful festival, plus free to attend so a great day out. If you come out to the Night Ranger concert I'll even give you a pair of tickets for the VIP sponsor area right in front of the stage AND personally introduce you to the said chicks with axes. Obviously you are a man of exquisite taste!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

I was fine with my raw/uncooked food diet. Then Roadkillarmadillonda pushed her way to my stove and fouled the cave.

H_Lecter 6 years, 1 month ago

Eating raw provides such an extraordinary change in flavor and tactile sensations. It requires a much sharper knife...as the meat doesn't just fall off the bone.