Previous   Next

Do you like to do yard work?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 2, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, it gets me out in the sun and is a nice distraction from work.”

“Yes. I have only mowed my lawn three times because I just bought a new house, so I don’t hate it yet.”

“Yeah. (Good) exercise and makes the yard look good.”

“I like to do yard work if there are no weeds, no bugs and it’s not hot.”

Comments

bronze 4 years, 10 months ago

yes especially around the homegrown heirloom tomatoes & stuff.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

Lab, What do you charge? My gardener kinda sorta got detained making the trip back north this spring.

George_Braziller 4 years, 10 months ago

I LOVE yard work. Some people like watching football, some like to cook, some just like to pass the day with a book. For me, working in the yard is where I can escape into my own private world of joy.

Informed (Anonymous) says… Nobody likes yard work. Nobody…

labmonkey 4 years, 10 months ago

I enjoy it about 75% of the time....that is why I do other people's yards for money on the side.

Blunt 4 years, 10 months ago

No way. but luckily my husband doesn't mind it...

Are cobras worried about their waistlines?

Music_Girl 4 years, 10 months ago

I like certain aspects like watching the flowers grow and the smell of freshly cut grass...till my allergies kick my butt...

sgtwolverine 4 years, 10 months ago

No, but I like watching other people do yard work. I also like watching dandelions grow, much to the dismay of anti-dandelion activists everywhere.

blue73harley 4 years, 10 months ago

R_I - I probably could afford a bigger tractor if I would stop buying other toys. I just couldn't pass up a '54 Lincoln Capri. Unfortunately, unlike Nick Danger, all I can afford is basket cases. BTW, the NAA also consumes oil at the rate of one quart per hour and a half. I guess consumes isn't really the right word since it mostly just leaks from the rear main seal.

Tony Kisner 4 years, 10 months ago

R_I speaks true. I yell fudge or variations of the word often in my yard and have not found one poisonous cobra.

I will say everyone must have gotten a good night’s sleep, each of you are in rare form.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

"Famous Bubba: A character in the movie Forrest Gump made the name “Bubba” infamous."

A movie that came out 15 years ago made the name "Bubba" famous? Georgia, North Florida, and Alabama would like to disagree with that statement.

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

TOB. oops, I should know that. Those get out of the house cards come with conditions and a bum knee can't help.

Autie, a childhood friend, Morris T... Jr. went by Bubba through school. Teachers, everybody called him that. Now he is an Episcopalian priest so the name is in the past for him , unless he sees me.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes I guy has just got to do what a guy has to do...then say you'll be back around two.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

National Bubba Day

When : Always June 2and

National Bubba Day honors anyone named or called Bubba. To qualify to be honored today, your name can be formally, or informally "Bubba". You can even take on the name "Bubba" for just the day. That way everyone can celebrate this day.

There's a lot of ways to celebrate National Bubba Day. Acting like a "Bubba" is your starting point. Cards, parties and other celebrations are definitely in order. Gift giving is optional.

Did you Know? Bubba is the Yiddish word for grandmother

Famous Bubba: A character in the movie Forrest Gump made the name "Bubba" infamous.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B, It is also 'Yell "Fudge" at the Cobras in North America Day' In order to keep poisonous cobra snakes out of North America, all citizens are asked to go outdoors at noon local time and yell “fudge!” Fudge makes cobras gag, and the mere mention of it makes them skeedaddle.
I synchronized the Bretling to WWV this morning, so I can yell it at exactly 17:00 UTC (since most all of North America uses DST).

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Prospector -

ACL is part of my knee. Casting arm is fine. Ball and chain is the issue now.

Bubba is Yiddish for grandmother. So, I don't suppose we have all of them.

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

Dig, plant, hold a hose and beer works for me. Push a mower, not so much.

TOB, I hope it is not the casting arm. See above, get some Vinca vine. I'm wondering how one would translate Bubba for the International Bubba. We don't have all on them, do we?

Eric Neuteboom 4 years, 10 months ago

Heck yeah! How else am I gonna get away from the wife and little one for an hour?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 10 months ago

blue, You need to ditch that old inefficient Golden Jubilee.
I hear Obama is offering incentives.
Pick yourself up something that can handle a 15' bat-wing.
That way you can mow right through 2-1/2" dia. saplings.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Happy National Bubba Day, everybody!

blue73harley 4 years, 10 months ago

I went through 8 gallons of gas while mowing all day Saturday...yard work sucks.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Generally, I don't mind yard work, but I think I tore my ACL mowing the cliffs on Saturday. Why in the hell did the prior owner plant grass there? Some mysteries will never be solved.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

First, I did yard work because my father wanted me to. But I never did yard work to get the girls or a scholarship. But I have been hurt doing yard work, sometimes badly.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

Yard work is "work".... which is just that... Work. If it was fun, they wouldn't call it Work.... they would call it something else.. like .....uh.... nope, I'm not going to say it...

Donnuts 4 years, 10 months ago

Gardens are the way to go, a nice shady pond.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

depends. It is not too much fun in August. June, not so bad.