Previous   Next

Did you have a job as a teenager?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 2300 La. on June 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I worked at Allen Press in accounting.”

“Yes, I worked at Einstein Brothers. I did everything — cleaning, making bagels and ate all the leftovers.”

“Yes. One was helping to make the first photo IDs the university issued, in the basement of Watson Library.”

“Yes, I started my own business when I was 14 sharpening saw blades. It went well, and when I was 19 I bought a brand-new car.”

Comments

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

I babysat neighbors kids during the summer (and during the school year). I worked at taco tico for a while, and also worked at a grain elevator during harvest. I played in summer band in my hometown and got paid for it. I also worked for my future inlaws pharmacy. A neighbor paid us to throw stuff while he taught his hunting dog.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm thinking it was just around the corner from the bus stop. I tried to find it on Google but failed. There has to be an archive of old papers from that era with articles about it. I remember it, but faintly, like a name that is so close.

Alia Ahmed 4 years, 10 months ago

I babysat, worked in a relative's cafe and worked for my hometown newspaper. Both my kids worked in restaurants, fast food joints and retail as teenagers. I think it provides invaluable experience to work when you're a teenager and in my case and my children's cases helped out the family by being out to buy our own clothes and earn our own spending money.

Practicality 4 years, 10 months ago

Man, somebody help me out here. Somewhere around 1981 or 82 there was an arcade downtown. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it now. It is driving me crazy. I think it was on 9th an Mass, but I can't even remember the name, so what do I know. HELP!

gsxr600 4 years, 10 months ago

My first job was when I was 16 working as a cook at Dairy Queen. Worst job ever >: 0

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

My daughter and granddaughter have had jobs all along. My granddaughter graduated from KU in May while working full time, and she did it in four years. She is now going for her masters. On the other hand I have a total lack of work ethic so I have often wondered about those who work and those who don't. Why such a difference between people? However my daughter told me I read her the story of the hen that was growing wheat and making bread and no one would help her so she ate all the bread. I guess she really took it to heart since she told me that is why she has always worked. Go figure! Oh, almost forgot! :-)

Bob Forer 4 years, 10 months ago

Sold drugs to my junior high classmates, snatched purses from little old ladies, burglarized a few homes, and had a paper route. But I also volunteered as an alter boy, and since the priest paid me for the "favors", I guess I was also a prostitute. Thats the great thing about being a Christian. YOu can be a complete &^%& up your entire life, but as long as you "accept" Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior (or is it Lord and Taylor--I always confuse the guy with the department store) you can a free eternal pass into heaven. Pretty good deal, eh?

Dayle Hodges 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes. I think the admisssion prices are too high; but I am old, and I worked there a long time ago. Maybe they should be as high as they are. Back in the 70's and 80's Lawrence Municipal Pool was the cheapest babysitter in town at .50 per child. I can't tell you how many kids were dropped off at opening (1:30 at the time) and not picked up until we closed at 9:00. Quite sad really. Thank goodness for the red headed manager working then. He always saw to it that the kids had something to eat; even though most of them had no money.

coolmom 4 years, 10 months ago

paper route, babysitting, painting, answering service, dishwasher, burger king, tree service unpaid helper for my fathers business. those teen years were busy but i remember having so much energy then lol.

MaryKatesPillStash 4 years, 10 months ago

Hodgesmom, weren't you the one complaining about admission prices at the pool? If so....I rest my case!

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Put up hay for 2 cents per bale, assembled bicycles for$1.65/hr, washed dishes at Virginia Inn for $1.50/hr, sold gas at Apco for $1.60/hr (17.9 cent gas wars at time) have never been unemployed,except by choice for short periods, since 1963, drawing retirement, will start drawing SS next year, will continue to work until they drag my crusty butt into the rest home or the pine box. If I slowed down now I wouldn't last 6 months......

;-)

Jaminrawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Worked at Dillons. Great employee parties.

schula 4 years, 10 months ago

I did my stint baby sitting, worked at the nursing home as a dishwasher and at Cramer Products (makers of sports medicine in my hometown of Gardner, KS) as a file clerk (where I learned I hate to file)

Dayle Hodges 4 years, 10 months ago

I worked for LPRD. Taught swimming and worked as a lifeguard. My starting pay was $1.50/hr. ;).........

prospector 4 years, 10 months ago

Apiarist, there is good money in honey. In those way back days I also threw papers and worked at a Pizza Hut. Thin and crispy was the only choice and a 15 inch with everything was $5.50. The manager was cool, we could drink a beer while cleaning up and then go next door to the IHOP for a banana split. Good times had at the Pizza Rut.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of clowns.... as a teen, I hosed down the Griffs burgers parking lot on Saturdays. One day the boss had my jump into a clown outfit, and wave at traffic on 23rd street...... After that, I found a different job.

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

i worked for my town's recreation commission as a scorekeeper-church league basketball in the winter, softball leagues in the summer...from about 12 years old until i was 17! loved it!

zettapixel 4 years, 10 months ago

I had a couple of jobs actually... I worked as a clown for a radio station and fixed computers. Talk about variety!

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Built fence. Cut hedge post. Hauled hay. Did one summer stint at a saw mill.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

Farmed. Drove tractor, fixed fence, worked cattle, etc...

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 10 months ago

Until out of high school (because I lived in a very rural setting with a handful of gainful employment) I cut firewood in the winter and worked in the hay fields for part of the summer, then worked for a few different farmers doing odds-n-ends, and I also cut "short blocks" for a pallet mill, which is basically what they saw up to make the pallets. That was great money, as then in '78, I could buzz up and deliver a load in about two hours and make $25-30. My brother and I, before he graduated and went into the navy, used to also pick up black walnuts in the expansive walnut groves and literally fill the back or our truck, then off to MFA for de-hulling and it was a nice take for a couple hours of work after school. Oh, and I worked at a feeder pig auction twice a month for a couple years.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

Warning: This thread may contain the cute adorable side of LJW snarkers, wallflowers, anarchists, trolls and villains. Can you really deal with that parallel universe?

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

At 8 years old, my grandpa (who lived in North Lawrence) taught me to garden.... we sold produce at his house, what is now Websters mobile homes (next to Lawrence Battery)
I was soooooo sick of picking green beans, the rest was good.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if Terry likes mustard on his biscuits.

Yes. Cook at the nice pool in town slinging cheese burgers, Doritos, frozen candy bars in my swim suit, and babysitting.

Donnuts 4 years, 10 months ago

Eeewww! Mow lawns, throw papers, Dad's business and Hardee's, then Dillon's... then I was out of high school.