Previous   Next

What’s the worst piece of furniture you’ve ever had to move?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 31, 2009

Browse the archives

“Probably my beds because they just never fit into their spaces. They hit walls, and then you have to pay for that. It comes out of your deposit.”

“I had to move all the books for my friend. He had a lot of textbooks. He never sold back his books. It was pretty bad.”

“Well, I’d have to say a 50-inch television. It was extremely heavy. I actually tore some muscles.”

“It would probably be this couch that I found outside someone’s house. It was from the 1920s or ’30s. The cushions alone weigh like 80 pounds. I want to restore it.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

well my cousin had this couch and he wuz using to hide something in it but it accidently got sold so i stole i mean borroed a ford escort but the cops dint unnerstan an well yu probbly remembr sank4u an i dont wanna talk bout it!

trinity 5 years, 1 month ago

i'd have to go along with the guy who said books-agh. that&older model tvs.

Practicality 5 years, 1 month ago

I do not know if these would count as furniture, but I moved a grand piano once and one of those old pool tables. Both had to be taken upstairs. They were miserable.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Sorry about the coffee, autie, but to keep Jonathan from sticking a fork in this OTS, we bettr knot talk boutit!

gccs14r 5 years, 1 month ago

My mom had a 1963 Zenith color console television that we moved a lot. The chassis was solid copper, and of course it was full of vaccum tubes, and the thing weighed a ton. It didn't help that I was under 5' tall and well under 100 pounds for many of those moves.

canyon_wren 5 years, 1 month ago

I've moved a lot, so have had a chance to shift a lot of things around. Probably the heaviest was a refrigerator that we forgot we had loaded with boxes of books, to save space in a U-Haul truck. We had strapped the refrigerator shut and couldn't figure out why it was so heavy, till we got it into the house and opened it.

The most unhandy things we moved were eleven rocking chairs we had bought at auctions in Missouri. We had a big U-Haul truck that was only half-full and thought we were in great shape till we tried to cram eleven of those into the remaining space. We made it, just barely.

I would guess that the old-style Hide-a-beds would rank 'way up there among the heaviest and most unhandy items to move!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

My couch is so heavy that it gnerates its own gravity.

average 5 years, 1 month ago

Sofabed to the third floor apartment. 'orrible things.

It left the apartment over the balcony rail at 9.8 m/s*2.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Autie, yes, escaping the couch's gravity well is a chore sometimes. Oddly enough, if my blood alcohol level is elevated, the couch's gravity is much stronger.

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

I've never had to move furniture so I can't answer this question.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 1 month ago

Anything from Blue Heron to the dumpster.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Sorry T_O_B, that story got so mixed up I lost track of who was related to who! Maybe this explains it..........

Six degrees of separation.... http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci932596,00.html

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

I also have never had to do this, but from watching, I would say television and sofa. Lucky we have an elevator here and dollies available to put things on which makes it a lot easier. God bless those dollies.

Catzilla 5 years, 1 month ago

A futon. Any futon! It's like carrying a 80 pound marshmallow.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

A lamp that looked like an old-fashioned watering pump. Not at all heavy, but wicked ugly. Threw it away years ago. It was just the worst.

Bigprune, so you really do live in your mom's basement after all!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Bea, wicked ugly? Are you from Boston by any chance? One of my favorite places. I live for the Red Sox.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

Roe - you sure that wasn't a church the car was parked on? I don't think I've ever seen a house with something like that sticking out of it except for a house of god.

My person two worst were a sectional that wouldn't fit in the entry way of the apartment (some genius had built a freestanding coat cubboard 5' in front of the door) and my 36" flat screen. Dropped that sucker on my foot to keep it from hitting the sidewalk.

I'd say Marion wins, though with his cast-iron claw-foot tub, although sofabeds are beasts, too.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

Irish - My Yankees are ahead of your Red Sox! Na-na-na-na!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

jehovah_bob 5 years, 1 month ago

~400 lb cast iron antique dentist chair. Getting it into the truck not a problem. Getting it out was a bit tricky. Tried to separate the chair from the base, wouldn't budge. Finally just tried to muscle it out with the Father-in-law where the base finally fell free from the chair. It probably would have smashed if it weren't for my wife's toe breaking the fall.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

We had one in the first house we owned in Lawrence. It was big and deep and great to splash around in, although I did get my butt beat a few times for getting overenthusiastic in my splashing and hosing down the entire bathroom.

preebo 5 years, 1 month ago

This one is easy... An antique armiore handed down by my grandfather. It is monstrous, impossible to move with one person - nearly impossible with two. It was to go up stairs to our room, but it made it only to the study on the first floor - it looks better there anyway.

Ranger35 5 years, 1 month ago

I could rant and rave, but let me just say this:

Stairs and a piano do not mix.

It was hard enough moving it down the stairs. I can't imagine what it would be like going back up the stairs!

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Jersey_Girl (Anonymous) says… "Oh,and Roe, a belated thanks for the laugh! Have you thought about writing a sitcom?"

We will call "LJW Online! Does It Get Any Better Than This?" (Cast and characters played by themselves)

preebo 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, I forgot the Piano - even though it is an upright; still heavy.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Have a friend who tried to slide a 6000# safe down his basement stairs using rope and a 2x12 to slide it on. Once it was tipped it drug 5 people with it, crashed through the wall at the landing halfway down, ending upside down next to the basement toilet. No one on the stool at the time and other than a few rope burns no injuries. As far as I know you can still make a "deposit" while you make your "deposit"

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, MD! I'd like that. I did of course miss the actual event, just like I miss all the posts that get everybody all riles up and then removed. I got that Roe was poking fun at someone and their posts. I'd love the whole thing if you have it!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

'k, Roe. Start explaining the couch. I remember the car chase and thinking that I was glad there was no school that day.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Jersey_Girl For now, the Red Sox are only 2.5 games behind. We can still do it. The Cards are just half a game out. Jonathan is a huge Cards fan in case you didn't know. There was a bus driver that was a Yankee fan and we would trade good humored insults, like Red Sox fans pay double. There is a bus driver from the Middle East and he is also a Yankee fan and when they are winning, he will say, damn Yankees, and then smile and say, is that bad to say, I don't know.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

The 768 pound man named Maynard that now lives in our upstairs loft. I call him a piece of furniture because sometimes I use him as a cheap beanbag chair when he's passed out on pain medication and cheap whiskey. Anyway, he sucks to move. I think we'll just offer him with the house when we sell it next time.

mscynners 5 years, 1 month ago

an antique armoire I have - it has sent some of my favorite dudes running LOL

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

toss up between a pinball machine and a pool table... the pool table destroyed my L5 disc, so i guess it wins

gccs14r 5 years, 1 month ago

The last time my dad moved his 60s-era hide-a-bed sofa I pointed out to him that the bed guts came out with four bolts. That made moving the sofa so much easier.

gphawk89 5 years, 1 month ago

Waterbed. I've moved it 5 times now. Nothing exceptionally difficult about it as it breaks down into a number of manageable pieces. But the teardown and reassembly take a couple of hours each. And the king mattress is extremely heavy even after siphoning 95% of the water out.

gphawk89 5 years, 1 month ago

"Have a friend who tried to slide a 6000# safe down his basement stairs using rope and a 2x12 to slide it on."

Wow. Wooden stairs? I'm a bit surprised the safe didn't just go straight down through the stairs. Or even straight through the floor before even getting to the stairs. I doubt a modern house would support that much weight in one spot on the floor. That's like two small cars.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't know, Tom. They didn't seem to have trouble re-moving the Republican party from power this past fall.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

For a minute there Tom, I didn't know if you were referring to the Blue Dogs or the Yankees. On moving? My butt to therapy.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

We shall see, Tom. We shall see. We gave the Republicans 8 years to get us in the pickle we're in. But I know that Republicans aren't that tolerant. Hell, they gave Obama a whole 90 days before they started calling his presidency a disaster.

asbury 5 years, 1 month ago

A very old, very heavy hide-a-bed sofa,,,

pace 5 years, 1 month ago

A 1905 Dentist iron and glass medical cabinet, huge and heavy. Worst non furniture item was a car port, it blew off the truck about a mile from the farm, landed in a field between some of my neighbor's cows. I ended up giving it to him.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

Right, Tom, as apposed to the deficit GWB and crew created after entering office with a surplus. Are you really this anti-Democrat or is this because I said that you could turn anything into a political argument, even a story about a kitten being rescued from a tree?

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

gphawk89 (Anonymous) says… “Have a friend who tried to slide a 6000# safe down his basement stairs using rope and a 2x12 to slide it on.” "Wow. Wooden stairs? I'm a bit surprised the safe didn't just go straight down through the stairs. Or even straight through the floor before even getting to the stairs. I doubt a modern house would support that much weight in one spot on the floor. That's like two small cars"

After giving it some thought, gphawk89, I remember the safe was brought to his home by a wrecker truck company that established the weight they charged him for. Could have been some number manipulation for purposes of increasing the delivery fee for the unknown weight of the fifty year old safe. Had never thought to question the numbers before, thanks!

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Jerseygirl,Right-thinker: I think we all know, in the end, that any piece of furniture any dem or rep politician ever had to move hardly holds a candle to the effort required to move their swollen heads from place to place.

gccs14r 5 years, 1 month ago

Jersey_Girl, you misspelled forty years. Nixon got the debt ball really rolling. Also, there wasn't a Clinton-era surplus in the sense that we were out of debt, just that for a couple of years the government took in more than it spent, meaning that we didn't add to the existing debt for those years. (That's debatable, too.) It was incorrect to call it a surplus, and it caused confusion among the electorate.

gccs14r 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure that Obama had to move his fair share of furniture when he was younger.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Good plan Marion, but back then, as now, it is surprising what you can get your buddies to do with two words.

"Free beer!"

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

Tom, is it safe to say that the heaviest lifting you've done is that massive chip you have on your shoulder relating to your hatred of the half of Americans who vote for Democrats?

"For Obama's sake, let's hope the economy he promised to fix doesn't wind up being his “WMD's”."

Of course, the WMDs don't exist while the terribly messed up economy does. Thanks for finally acknowledging that Obama inherited the messed up economy. And honestly, did you expect any politician to say they couldn't or wouldn't even try to fix the economy? Please! John McCain went all the way and halted his campaign (for about a week) so he could fix it! In the end, of course, McCain couldn't get his campaign or the economy going again.

You say your earlier comment was a joke, and I can see how that might be true if it weren't exactly the same as all the rest of your comments. Your broken record is showing.

been_there 5 years, 1 month ago

Darn Katata, I was going to say that.

been_there 5 years, 1 month ago

We had bought a two story house and the previous owners were leaving a long couch in one of the upstairs bedrooms at the end of the hallway, they had used for a study. They said they were leaving it because it had to be brought in through the second story window, can you imagine? We wanted to use the room for a bedroom and my husband said in a macho tone, "I'll get it out". He tried for the better part of a day with his buddies and ended up cutting it in half with a chainsaw.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Multi, Not to mention it makes it appear you buy in case lots when you purchase your liquor!

mh3808 5 years, 1 month ago

Well my couches had to go up and over the balcony this past year because they simply would not fit through the entryway or my hallway of my apartment...now in a few days I will throw them off the balcony to my friend below. USE TWO HANDS TO CATCH THE BALL!!!

Rex Russell 5 years, 1 month ago

When I moved to Lawrence in '91, my wife and I bought a blue flowered couch from a good will store. It was foam and folded out to a bed for guests. had it in our student apartment over on 24th st. terr. for at least 3 years. Strapped it to the truck and it flew off at least twice on the 150 mile trip to KU. Too light to tie down good at 70mph. Hated that couch.

Mixolydian 5 years, 1 month ago

I tried to move a fold out couch from a 4-plex apartment around 25th and Alabama once. It weighed a ton ( I think literally a ton or close to it in my hazy memory of the event 25 years ago)

We gave up and tossed it off the balcony, making a prodigious crater in the courtyard.

I also once helped haul a 1950's Seeburg Jukebox up to an attic apartment. There wasn't enough beer and pizza in the world to make up for that one.