Previous   Next

Do you think the city needs a west-side recreation center?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on July 25, 2009

Browse the archives

“Sure, why not?”

“Yes, I do, because of gas and everything. I don’t think people need to drive as far to go to one place.”

“Not at this time, we can’t afford it and we need to bus our kids to school.”

“I’m for anything that’s for the kids. I know we’ve done a lot worse things with taxpayer money.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Another example of ignoring the needs of that part of the city North of the river, deteriorating infrastructure throughout the less affluent areas of the entire city and increasing the tax burden on everyone when the economy is in the toilet.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 6 months ago

Do you think the city needs a west-side recreation center?

Do you think the city can afford a west-side rec center? .or. Can you afford a tax increase to pay for a west-side rec center?

kansasmutt 5 years, 6 months ago

What a waste of money. I am glad not to live in a town that cant fix a street, but can build a rec center to take revenue from local businesses. I think north Lawrence should be a seperate city , becuse they use the brain they have on ideas and not wasting money. Lots of great folks over north of the muddy Kaw. N L should susceed from lawrence.

canyon_wren 5 years, 6 months ago

Since I haven't been a Lawrence resident for a long time, I can't really speak to the current situation--except based upon "what I read in the papers," but it seems so strange to me to propose such a costly project in the current economic climate--especially since the city is considering raising fees for the use of the current facilities. That doesn't sound like good planning, to me.

Also, I think it is too bad that North Lawrence is neglected to such an extent. It WOULD be nice if it could be incorporated as a separate town, though I imagine that would REALLY leave them high and dry.

disgustedagain 5 years, 6 months ago

Really sad. I don't see any negative comments here, do you Mike Dever??? Send him an email, don't just blog here.

disgustedagain 5 years, 6 months ago

By the way, as a W. Lawrencian, we absolutely don't need a new rec ctr. If you don't want to use gas (laudable), take the bus.

gsxr600 5 years, 6 months ago

Fix first what everyone uses: the streets. Then talk to me about a new whatever million dollar project to benefit a group of people which can already afford gym memberships.

kansasmutt 5 years, 6 months ago

gsxr) you are right. They cant make the streets safe for anyone to ride on, but 7 mill for a stupid rec center, geez i dont see how you folks in lawrence can take the crap you do. Even folks who live in the area think it is a stupid idea.I dont think one is needed even in N Lawrence, but i do think N lawrence deserves something to show those folks they pay the same tax`s as those south of the river. The north side is better off now than 30 years ago, but still they get second best when it comes to help from the city, from what i have seen. Business cleaned up the frontage and the city came along and planted shrubs that block signage and look like poop.They dont give them a tax break like out south to really spruce things up, they get a thank you and thats it. yee haww.

Carol Bowen 5 years, 6 months ago

Good point, disgustedagain. There was probably an email campaign supporting the rec center. Send comments to the commissioners.