Previous   Next

Do you believe in ghosts?

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do. I was in a seance awhile ago, and it was pretty revealing.”

“Heck, yes, because they are real. They talked to me (at a seance).”

“I do. I had an experience … somebody knocked on a door and there wasn’t anyone there.”

“I believe in another world, so I do.”

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Somewhere, someplace on one of the boxes, I got pix of the '25 Ghost I used to drive regularly.

Wasn't mine but the elderly owner liked to have her "exercised" often.

She started life as Murphy limousine and was sent to Brewster in about 1932 and re-bodied as a Playboy Roadster.

Never forget the first time I got to take her out with the owner riding shotgun on the right (She was a Springfield car, so left-hand(Normal for USA) drive).

Ran her up to around 75 mph on K-32 and reined her in at the Edwardsville stoplight.

The owner cautioned me that I needed to be a bit more careful as she only had two-wheel brakes.

Felt fine to me!

She looked like this one, lovely lady that she was:

She was a blast on the old River Quay, as you can well imagine!

She's laid up now and in sad shape but I cannot afford her, expensive girl that she is.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Borthers and Sisters!

(Have your speakers on!)

I believe:

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 8 months ago

"Evidence of existence is required for proof that something exists...."

I can't even prove I exist (Descartes notwithstanding), the evidence sublimating as I type.

MissinLawrence 4 years, 8 months ago

Ghosts...no

As a Catholic, we do now say Holy Spirit, for instance when we do the sign of the cross. But my mom says she remembers attending Catholic school and saying Holy Ghost and saying the mass in Latin.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

"Nobody has any proof that ghost exist….but nobody has any proof they don't."

Evidence of existence is required for proof that something exists, whether it is ghosts, bigfoot, Zeus, unicorns or WMDs in Iraq. Until then, the lack of supportive evidence of their existence is the proof necessary to claim that ghosts don't exist.

oldvet 4 years, 8 months ago

I believe in the Holy Ghost, regular ghosts, ghostbusters and spooks...

pace 4 years, 8 months ago

the Ghost I don’t believe in is a good Ghost, a just Ghost, a merciful Ghost. She’s not the mean and stupid Ghost you make Her out to be.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 8 months ago

Why do think some Manson "Family" members heard Charlie's voice coming out of the sink drain in that trailer at Spahn Ranch? Charlie ALWAYS had some grade AAA acid on hand. Until I see a ghost or blood comes out of my faucet, I'm sorry, tough sell.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

If there is a ghost I'd like to meet, Freddie Mercury is at the top of the list.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish - sorry, even out of deference to my grandmother, I can't stop myself. Karma is not based on fear. I can't say the same for Catholicism.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

We all have the capacity to learn, even at 63. Thats why we are Homo sapiens— "wise man"

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 8 months ago

Nobody has any proof that ghost exist....but nobody has any proof they don't. I think there's a lot more to the universe then we are able to understand but with that said you really look like a dope saying ghosts talk to you.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 8 months ago

I like a good ghost story but I don't believe in ghosts. Just like I don't believe in magic, but I'll probably go see Harry Potter this weekend.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

You are not teachable then? I doubt that.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

Fr. John does not believe in karma either. That is an Hindu belief. We are taught to treat each other kindly, not out of fear, but out of hope.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

beatrice - I'll have to actually listen to the words when I'm singing. Thank you!!

And when is the Ghost of Time gonna get here and make it 5:00 already?

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

"Naw, Janice is that gal who advocates eating raw food only and is probably always mildly loopy from malnutrition."

Nice catch Marion! I thought she looked familiar, and I think you might be right about the malnutrition.

Jersey Girl, the Mercury quote is from the song "Bicycle Race."

Gootsie 4 years, 8 months ago

Give up the ghost Ghost of a chance Ghost town Ghost dance Ghost of a smile Ghost writer

Coincidence? I think not...

Kathy Getto 4 years, 8 months ago

ThatGirl2 (Anonymous) says…

Liberty_One (Anonymous) says…

I expected the high school girls to say so, but a grown man who's an attorney? –––––––––––––––––––––––—

Why not? People believe in God—a completely unknowable and unseen yet omniscent being. How's believing in ghosts any different?

So true - but you forgot something - omnipresent and omnipotent. LOL Good to see 'ya!

Mixolydian 4 years, 8 months ago

I do believe in ghosts.....

But who am I going to call?

jimmyjms 4 years, 8 months ago

I love that the most vociferous bible-bangers on this site are on this thread saying they don't believe in ghosts.

dajudge 4 years, 8 months ago

No. But, "I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks!" and not holy spooks, either, just the plain ones.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish -

I don't wade into religious debates on here, because, quite frankly, they are stupid. But, I do sing this every Sunday after forking over some cash to the church...

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow; Praise Him, all creatures here below; Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

And, I suppose, that is one ghost I do believe in. Although, I didn't read the question the way RI did.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish, Maybe not. I am only an ordained minister in The Church of the SubGenius. "Eternal Salvation or Triple Your Money Back! ...

But I do know that you seem to lack the understanding of how your actions and how you treat others relate to the entire cycle of cause and effect. (karma - lite). Maybe your therapist or Fr. John can help guide you on your journey towards that understanding? Even at 63, you are never too young to learn the ethic of reciprocity.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

"RI You know nothing. I know for a fact that at St. Johns we were told that the church no longer uses Holy Ghost," Irish

Such civil discourse from the person that is always bitching about the lack of it on the commenting boards. Yet, again.

ThatGirl2 4 years, 8 months ago

Liberty_One (Anonymous) says…

I expected the high school girls to say so, but a grown man who's an attorney?

Why not? People believe in God--a completely unknowable and unseen yet omniscent being. How's believing in ghosts any different?

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, Irish. Ever since PigPrune posted the blog about the Catholic church, I've been picking on you. My grandmother was Catholic and my very definition of a lady. Out of respect for her, I shall keep further comments about the Catholic church to myself.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish - let me get this straight. The Catholic church will "update" itself on the uses of the Holy Ghost (probably after viewing an episode of "Ghostbusters") versus the Holy Spirit but not condoms versus AIDS? Good to know they're on what's important!

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

Casper but he was a friendly one

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

Ahhh, I loved Casper. His uncles were mean to him though.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

RI You know nothing. I know for a fact that at St. Johns we were told that the church no longer uses Holy Ghost, but now prefers Holy Spirit. If you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church you will not find any mention of the Holy Ghost, St. Augustine does not dictate Catholic doctrine or belief. You can try and contact him at a seance and asks him what he thinks about all this. I have no problem with teens whether they be girls or boys attending a seance. It is none of my business.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

"I believe in zombies. Does that count?"

Do you believe in Nazi Zombies?

puddleglum 4 years, 8 months ago

those chicks are hot. are you sure they are teenage girls? they look much older and mature. there are ghosts everywhere. everybody knows that.

pace 4 years, 8 months ago

Ghostology, like religion or mythology, Skeptic or faithful owes no apology, Many doors will open for the bold, They will come to get your gold.

roger_gilchrist 4 years, 8 months ago

I see ghost every year on Halloween.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

Pywacket - ROTFMAO at your entire post.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

R_I stole my post!

beatrice - I never heard that Freddie Mercury quote. Thanks! My bit o' learnin' for the day.

Pywacket 4 years, 8 months ago

This one time.....? at seance camp......?

Yeah, we loved to scare ourselves when we were young, too. Seances, late-night, wine-fueled walks through the cemetery... great times!

I think they left off the rest of Janice's comment, which was this: "Really weird coincidence, too--there was a flaming bag on my porch and when I stomped on it, my shoes became covered with this weird, sticky brown ectoplasm. Yep, it must've been a ghost, all right!"

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

I believe in zombies. Does that count?

Music_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

I do believe there are certain things we can't necessarily explain but do I believe that every open cabinet door or every container falling off a shelf is a ghost? Heck no!

cthulhu_4_president 4 years, 8 months ago

What I believe doesn't matter, what matters is what the evidence shows.

Evidence.....anyone?

KansasPerson 4 years, 8 months ago

(LOL at OldEnuf) (and enjoying Famous!Marion's link to that classy looking car)

I don't believe in them. Every time someone has told me a "true" ghost story, I've seen all kinds of holes in it, but I'm too polite to say so, usually. What was that one I read about the other day -- "I was alone in the house and the radio switched over to classical music by itself; [deceased person] was really into classical music" -- HELLO, that happens to me and it's just a crappy radio or a bad antenna or poor signal, combined with two stations having frequencies right next to each other. There's always been an easy, rational explanation for every "ghost story" I've ever heard or read about.

And if you get people in a group, it's even worse. I used to work with a group of highly suggestible (is that the word I want?) people who all believed our work-place was haunted. Since they were predisposed to believe already, every unusual (but explainable) occurrence was immediately chalked up to being more ghost-evidence. It was like a group-hysteria.

In my opinion, you can believe in an afterlife or in the Holy Spirit (as Irish does) without believing that ghosts walk the earth.

bobberboy 4 years, 8 months ago

Heck No ! Those who believe in ghosts are dumber than my pet rock.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 8 months ago

How to get me to stop listening to you: Say "I was in a seance..."

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Go back to your pit, girlfriend.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

I_Bejewel (Anonymous) says…

“I do. I had an experience … somebody knocked on a door and there wasn’t anyone there.”

— Janice Heie, health/wellness center owner, Aspen, Colo

….Sounds like someone ding-dong-ditched you Janice."

Marion writes:

Music_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

Teenaged girls participating in seances? Was no one else bothered by that? Wow...

I_Bejewel 4 years, 8 months ago

— Janice Heie, health/wellness center owner, Aspen, Colo

....Sounds like someone ding-dong-ditched you Janice.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Ghosts don't exist, Holy or otherwise.

I've seen Scooby Doo. There never is a ghost, its always just the mayor/shopkeeper/butler with a pillow case on his head.

As the late, great Freddie Mercury said, "I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 8 months ago

(Those Catholics and their wacky word ways....)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

The doctrine of the Catholic Church concerning the Holy Ghost forms an integral part of her teaching on the mystery of the Holy Trinity, of which St. Augustine (On the Holy Trinity I.3.5), speaking with diffidence, says: "In no other subject is the danger of erring so great, or the progress so difficult, or the fruit of a careful study so appreciable". The essential points of the dogma may be resumed in the following propositions: The Holy Ghost is the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity. Though really distinct, as a Person, from the Father and the Son, He is consubstantial with Them; being God like Them, He possesses with Them one and the same Divine Essence or Nature. He proceeds, not by way of generation, but by way of spiration, from the Father and the Son together, as from a single principle.

Such is the belief the Catholic faith demands.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 8 months ago

... could just be a sheet with Holes in it.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't believe in karma or payback, in fact that is just about my least favorite phrase. I don't know if there are ghosts or not. It is the Holy Spirit, not the Holy Ghost.

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I do not.

However, my mom was friends with a woman named Betty for years. Betty grew up in England in one of those old English Manor Houses. And Betty would swear up and down that there was indeed ghosts. She would tell stories about how the ghosts would move things around. How she would see them from time to time. She honestly believed in them. She wasn't just pulling our leg or trying to scare us kids.

So, who knows. If they do exist, they aren't common and they don't appear in seances. The only thing one sees at a seance is their money disappearing.

Dena

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I believe in Ghosts and can prove that they exist, as long as they were manufactured at Derby from 1907 through 1925 and at Springfiled for a few years.

blue73harley 4 years, 8 months ago

My wife is still alive because I believe.

parrotuya 4 years, 8 months ago

Of course not. There are no ghosts anymore. Here's why. The Flying Spaghetti Monster slayed all of the world's ghosts last year! And it was rout! Don't mess with the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, Marion had been haunting these forums for years, and, only yesterday, an apparition!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

"Oh, hell no. Goodness." - T_O_B Not even the Holy Ghost?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, hell no. Goodness.

"I expected the high school girls to say so, but a grown man who's an attorney?"

Ha!

"Yawn. Please stop hitting up on teenage girls downtown."

Double Ha!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 8 months ago

Seems like since the use of pot and acid became all the rage in the late 60's, people starting "seeing" more ghosts. Correlation, maybe, maybe not. Until I see a ghosts or my kitchen drawers and cabinet doors start opening and closing by themselves, my answer is "NO".

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

You and the cowardly lion.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

Just The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, because Sinterklaas is watching, and you know. .. Karma's a Bitch

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

I try to keep an open enough mind that if I ever did encounter a ghost I'd be able to keep my wits and not turn into the babbling cretin that's always one of the first to die (and usually takes at least one other person out with him, or makes it worse for everybody else), but I still have yet to see a solitary ghost.

johnadavies 4 years, 8 months ago

Anyone can believe in anything in this country; that's the beauty of it!

Janice Heie - I've got to confess, it was me but I had to run!

BrianR 4 years, 8 months ago

RoeDapple (Anonymous) says… No, but I believe rabbits lay hard boiled eggs….

The Cadbury Bunny? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_gEy...

75x55 4 years, 8 months ago

Yawn. Please stop hitting up on teenage girls downtown.

Liberty_One 4 years, 8 months ago

I expected the high school girls to say so, but a grown man who's an attorney?

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

No, but I believe rabbits lay hard boiled eggs....