Previous   Next

Who is your favorite advertising animal?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“Spuds MacKenzie because he was cute.”

“The gecko from Geico. He’s so intelligent.”

“Chester Cheetah because he’s rad.”

“Probably the toucan for Fruit Loops; he had a posse.”

Comments

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

If I ever get asked a question on the street, I'm pretty sure I'd want to see the picture before I'd let them post it in the LJW. There have some pictures that have just been unfortunate. Sometimes it is the person, sometimes it is the picture. I've notice sometimes it looks like they were using a wide-angle lens up close.

Pywacket 4 years, 8 months ago

Autie~ I'm from Battle Creek Michigan and I did actually know (a) Tony the Tiger! Every other person in BC works at either Kellogg or Post and Kellogg used to do tours of the plant. They had several employees who donned Tony costumes for school group tours or for other promotional activities around town.

The guy I knew, Mike, was about 6'3" and maybe 220 lb. He drove a yellow Stingray and loved to party on the weekends. I don't remember what he did at the plant when he wasn't being Tony, but the Tony gig was only a small part of his job. Great memories!

So I would have to go with all the Kellogg characters, especially Tony, for sentimental reasons.

I had a Toucan Sam pillow when I was a kid and we all had plenty of Tony and Corny (Cornelius, the corn flakes rooster) and Snap, Crackle, & Pop stuff. Post's Sugar Bear has his fans, too. I never liked his TV voice! He sounded like some schmoozy lounge lizard. There are a Tony Tiger Trail and a Sugar Bear Lane in BC and when you go outside some mornings, you do indeed smell cereal on the air. Trick-or-treating meant getting a good half dozen or more of those little cereal boxes in your bag, since people who worked at the plants could get the 8-packs of them at reduced cost.

Go, Tony! http://www.willard.lib.mi.us/historical/bcphotos/fairs_festivals/h13_2300.htm

I have lots of similar pix I've taken myself over the years at the BC balloon fest. Wanted to make it up this year for that, but scheduling didn't work out. Will have to see Tony next time...

BABBOY 4 years, 8 months ago

I guess I will go with the Frogs. Budddd -- wise -- errrr

If that fails, the Coors Twinnnss are likely party animals ready for a good time.....

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Another vote for the Trunk Monkey!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

The Budweiser frogs. I loved the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns was having weird treatments and Homer had to walk though the forest and on the way he encounters the three frogs. Then a gator swallows them all and says, "Coors". Also, the California Dairy Cows,especially the Joan Rivers one.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 9 months ago

Gotta go with the Budweiser frogs.

ksmax 4 years, 9 months ago

"There aint no bugs on me, there may be bugs on some of you mugs but there aint no bugs on me" puppy....adorable!

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

My cousin said he knew Tony the Tiger when they lived in Hollywood California a long time ago.

1029 4 years, 9 months ago

I like that weasel that promotes First Family Church and sells anti-Islam DVDs. I think his name is Jerry.

OeraLinda 4 years, 9 months ago

Obama when he picthes his healthcare plan.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Jared has been around 10 years?!?!?!? Wow, that's hard to fathom.

There have been several good answers, I don't know if I can pick amongst them. I lean toward the dogs. Duke (Bush's Baked Beans dog) might have the rest beat, though.

Julie Craig 4 years, 9 months ago

The Golden Retriever puppy in the cottonelle commercials. Awwww

BigPrune 4 years, 9 months ago

Subway Jared

Subway's sales doubled to $8.2 Billion since the fat guy got skinny eating Subway advertising began 10 years ago.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

The Charmin bears. Their poor little hineys get so red and rashy! I'm glad they have Charmin to make their bottoms better.

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

I've always been fond of that platypus that told us all which brand of toothpaste to buy.

Wait. . . that might have just been a dream I had.

MarchSadness 4 years, 9 months ago

Asian Trix Rabbit....."you share!"

poppygirl 4 years, 9 months ago

It used to be the Taco Bell chihuahua (may he RIP, sniff) but I guess now it would be the dog on the Bush's beans commercial.

MAY SHE rest in peace !

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

The gorilla that used to jump on suitcases.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

"Roll the beautiful bean footage."

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago