Previous   Next

Do you have any food allergies?

Asked at Checkers Foods, 23rd and Louisiana streets on July 21, 2009

Browse the archives

“No I do not, no allergies whatsoever.”

“No sir, I love food.”

“No sir…my favorite food is greens.”

“No, but I hate bananas. I will not touch them.”

Comments

gravitykills 4 years, 8 months ago

I read this article last week and just now caught up with it to respond. Food allergies?? I'm allergic to all raw fruit and vegetables. It seems, at least from those who commented, I'm an anomaly!

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

R_I~ Those smooth-skinned avocados are terrible. No wonder I didn't get the resemblance--when I think of avocados, I think of the pear-shaped Hass: http://www.calavo.com/varieties.php

Irish--the resemblance doesn't stop me from slicing them and putting them where they belong--in a fruit salad--seeds and all. ;-)

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

Allergic to shopping at Checkers They are an awful store

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

I used to love kiwi and then someone told me they look like monkey testicles to him. I can't eat them now, and when I see them at a store I giggle and I can't tell anyone why I think the kiwi are so funny.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Did anybody fly to Bangalore to see the total solar eclipse tomorrow?

meggers 4 years, 9 months ago

Well, an allergist probably would have been cheaper than the attorney, autie :-)

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

uh?? you mean like with my first wife?

meggers 4 years, 9 months ago

No allergies that I'm aware of, but I do wonder if an intense aversion to certain foods could be the body's natural response to an allergen.

For example, when I was a kid, I hated hominy- still do. I had a baby sitter who made me eat some, thinking I was just being finicky. I gagged on it and threw up right at the table. I think I'd still gag on it if I had to eat it today.

I also can't stand cantaloupe- the smell, the texture, the taste all disgust me. I've tried a small bite here and there over the years, thinking I just wasn't giving it enough of a chance, but no dice. Maybe I'd puke if I ate enough of that, as well.

Does anyone know if sometimes our sensory aversion can serve as an instinctual warning about a physical incompatibility with certain foods?

notajayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Only to the pabalum they keep trying to spoon-feed me from Washington.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says…

"Did you know the word “avocado” comes from the aztec word for testicle?"

The aztecs must have been very manly.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey Renaldo, those look like some critters I saw on a coral reef one time. The testicles, not the avocados.
Sushi smushie, I want my fish fried in grease.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh No..now they really are putting my cousins on the OTS! ROFL! Never met that one that I can remember, but you could tell by that face anywhere..yep, that's one of us!

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago

Hate bananas? Sounds kind of Freudian to me

sgtwolverine 4 years, 9 months ago

No, but the texture of mushrooms makes me want to throw up. I consider it a faux allergy.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Jonas, “Avocados look like testicles? Of what kind of critter?!”

Your average steer, when it was still a bull...

Compare: Avocado → http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10948550/Avocado.jpg Bull testicle → http://estb.msn.com/i/3B/D4A26FE3D28B8DF2A3DB099E8E87D.jpg

They sure as hell don't resemble brussel sprouts...

But the bulls don't stay jolly too long either after you load them in the squeeze chute, attack them with elastrator and a knife, give them a tetnus shot and spray their former glory area with red oil.

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

Sushi doesn't mean raw fish, it means seasoned rice. Raw fish is not necessarily a part of it. neener neener

"Avocados look like testicles? Of what kind of critter?!"

Jolly Green Giants. They used to send Californians out to JGG land to harvest them, but then switched to immigrant labor, who are willing to put up with the obvious dangers for less pay. The giants don't stay very jolly for very long when you come after them with the shears.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

My trip to the Cotillion involved Delbert McClinton. We had lots of fun that evening...I'm pretty sure.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

autie, Nothing wrong with Desoxyn, it is being rehabilitated and making a comeback. At least it does not zombify you like the other Big 4 do.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Yep. West side of Wichita.

The gas tank bass has a name... The Stichgiver.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Good Lord amighty, Bob, that boy was playing the gas tank. Would that have been the Cotillion Ballroom out on the west side of Wichita? I was there once a long time ago.

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

No allergies. When I was a child, my skin was so sensitive that my face broke out when I ate raw tomatoes (must've smushed them all over my face & let the juice drip off my chin). I loved them, anyway. Fortunately, the sensitivity faded as I got older.

A lot of broccoli haters out there today. Too bad--it is good for you. I understand, though--I hate asparagus and bell peppers, although I love other peppers, particularly the hot ones. As an adult, I've tried and tried to warm up to asparagus, since everybody seems to view it as a delectable treat, and I hoped that my tastes would change. No luck...

Avocados look like testicles? Of what kind of critter?! I always thought "alligator pear" was a great description for avocados. It's kiwi fruits that look like testicles.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Desoxyn? I haven't even heard that word in about 35 years. I can see how one might pick up a bit of useless knowledge with that involved.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe not quite an allergy. TOB, this one got posted on another thread but the link fails: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFtQn5... maybe this one will work.

Gootsie 4 years, 9 months ago

avocado - testicle

I can see the resemblance.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

charlie, Desoxyn and a 1588 on the SAT?

Chris Ogle 4 years, 9 months ago

A friend of mine (AA member) claimed he had an allergy called Vodka. If that not denial, I don't what is. Heck, I am just an alcoholic, who sometimes suffers from assholism... but allergies.... Nope

Mary Darst 4 years, 9 months ago

How and why would you know that?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

autie, Did you know the word “avocado” comes from the aztec word for testicle?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

"Now, now. You boys just need to sit down and eat your brussel sprouts, squash and brocolli. It is good and good for you. "

Lies.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

When I was a child, I was allergic to strawberries. Eventually, I grew out of that but I still have an intense dislike for strawberries. Won't even chew strawberry gum.

Also, I'm not sure it is an allergy but chocolate give me headaches so i rarely eat it.

Dena

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

CLARKKENT 4 years, 9 months ago

YES I DO,

THE KIND I EAT TO MUCH OF!!!!

edjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Sometimes I get tremendous headaches from mexican food. Have to throw up before I can shake the headache.

mom_of_three 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, but there are some that I eat anyway.
My allergies have improved so much when I was a kid. My parents used to go to the mill to buy rice flour because I couldn't eat wheat as a toddler.

spacehog 4 years, 9 months ago

I drink about a gallon of whiskey a day. I haven't eaten solid food in 10 years or so.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

"Just the usual ones, brussel sprouts, butternut squash"

Ahh, the Devil's Vegetables. Nasty.

Jonas - I enjoy raw brocolli, but when it is cooked makes me gag by the smell.

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

I must because I have this swelling in my abdomen that persists.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't eat raw fish. Or the bait.

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

Sushi is great.

I'm allergic to brocolli in that I can't stand the smell of it cooking. Smells like swampy death by degenerative disease.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

Nope. There are some foods I don't care for, but no allergies.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Just the usual ones, brussel sprouts, butternut squash and sushi.