Previous   Next

Do you have any food allergies?

Asked at Checkers Foods, 23rd and Louisiana streets on July 21, 2009

Browse the archives

“No I do not, no allergies whatsoever.”

“No sir, I love food.”

“No sir…my favorite food is greens.”

“No, but I hate bananas. I will not touch them.”

Comments

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Sushi is great.

I'm allergic to brocolli in that I can't stand the smell of it cooking. Smells like swampy death by degenerative disease.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but there are some that I eat anyway.
My allergies have improved so much when I was a kid. My parents used to go to the mill to buy rice flour because I couldn't eat wheat as a toddler.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 5 months ago

YES I DO,

THE KIND I EAT TO MUCH OF!!!!

denak 5 years, 5 months ago

When I was a child, I was allergic to strawberries. Eventually, I grew out of that but I still have an intense dislike for strawberries. Won't even chew strawberry gum.

Also, I'm not sure it is an allergy but chocolate give me headaches so i rarely eat it.

Dena

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

A friend of mine (AA member) claimed he had an allergy called Vodka. If that not denial, I don't what is. Heck, I am just an alcoholic, who sometimes suffers from assholism... but allergies.... Nope

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

avocado - testicle

I can see the resemblance.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Sushi doesn't mean raw fish, it means seasoned rice. Raw fish is not necessarily a part of it. neener neener

"Avocados look like testicles? Of what kind of critter?!"

Jolly Green Giants. They used to send Californians out to JGG land to harvest them, but then switched to immigrant labor, who are willing to put up with the obvious dangers for less pay. The giants don't stay very jolly for very long when you come after them with the shears.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

No, but the texture of mushrooms makes me want to throw up. I consider it a faux allergy.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Only to the pabalum they keep trying to spoon-feed me from Washington.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says…

"Did you know the word “avocado” comes from the aztec word for testicle?"

The aztecs must have been very manly.

meggers 5 years, 5 months ago

No allergies that I'm aware of, but I do wonder if an intense aversion to certain foods could be the body's natural response to an allergen.

For example, when I was a kid, I hated hominy- still do. I had a baby sitter who made me eat some, thinking I was just being finicky. I gagged on it and threw up right at the table. I think I'd still gag on it if I had to eat it today.

I also can't stand cantaloupe- the smell, the texture, the taste all disgust me. I've tried a small bite here and there over the years, thinking I just wasn't giving it enough of a chance, but no dice. Maybe I'd puke if I ate enough of that, as well.

Does anyone know if sometimes our sensory aversion can serve as an instinctual warning about a physical incompatibility with certain foods?

meggers 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, an allergist probably would have been cheaper than the attorney, autie :-)

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

I used to love kiwi and then someone told me they look like monkey testicles to him. I can't eat them now, and when I see them at a store I giggle and I can't tell anyone why I think the kiwi are so funny.

gravitykills 5 years, 4 months ago

I read this article last week and just now caught up with it to respond. Food allergies?? I'm allergic to all raw fruit and vegetables. It seems, at least from those who commented, I'm an anomaly!