Previous   Next

How do you pass time on long car trips?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on July 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“Listen to music. If I’m not driving, read. ”

“I listen to a lot of music, especially the Grateful Dead.”

“Sing whatever comes to mind. ”

“Sleep.”

Comments

preebo 5 years, 5 months ago

Simple... I do not go on long road trips. Maybe when I was in college and perhaps once or twice while in law school, but now that I have family w/ two kids, no more. When we need to travel long distance, we fly - it's just easier.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

by throwing water balloons at other cars.

labmonkey 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow....nice show of pretension there preebo.

preebo 5 years, 5 months ago

Pretension? I wouldn't say that. We often fly Southwest or Frontier. Both = cheap.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Our long road trip was across the southwest to California so we looked at scenery. Talked. Stopping so I could use the gas station. I managed to either leave the key in the room or leave the key in the lock and then I had to yell to get out.

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Sleeping.... as long as I'm not driving.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

If I am not driving, then I sleep. If I am driving, then I listen to the radio, flip through the stations, and will stop every so often to stretch the short legs

local_support 5 years, 5 months ago

Awwww, now isn't that sweet? Logicsound and Nancyboy cozy up over their dislike of the Dead.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

I listen to music (but definitely not the Grateful Dead). It's great when I'm driving and helps a lot when I'm riding, too, since I can't read in the car.

As far as flying vs driving: I wholeheartedly prefer driving. Flying may be a shorter trip, but the hassle and stress of airports and security isn't worth it to me unless I really need to be there ASAP. I flew out west in February and drove out to the same destination just a couple weeks ago, and it was no contest: I preferred the driving trip.

9070811 5 years, 5 months ago

what a long strange trip it's been.....

alm77 5 years, 5 months ago

Movies on the laptop. For us and for the kids. There are also travel sized games, books, handheld gaming devices, sing-a-longs, snacks, "Oh, look there's a ___!", the license plate game. We do it all!

We drove to Florida this summer and we hardly ever heard an "Are we there yet?" Of course, we also see our journey as part of the vacation. We'll pull over to just about any exciting/weird attraction we see a sign for if we feel we need a bit of a break.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

It depends. Most of the time I'm scanning the horizon for Smokeys, so I don't get bored. OTOH, there's no way to keep the northern stretches of I-29 from being boring, so then I concentrate on keeping my brain from puddling in my shoes.

Kryptenx 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm with TOB on this one, nothing better to speed up the trip and speed up my alertness than a legal dose of speed.

boy_genius 5 years, 5 months ago

A variety of stripping games. Strip license plate spotting. Strip alphabet game. Strip stripping.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

My ex said I am a sucker for every tourist attraction no matter how hokey and it is true. That is why is took us a month to get from Kansas City to San Francisco. But oh, the memories.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

"How do you pass time on long car trips?" The lemurs and I pretend to be architects and make up angry letters about astroturf & new hotels.

coolmom 5 years, 5 months ago

play movies for the kids while wishing they would sleep, play i spy with the kids while wishing they would sleep, listen to the kids fight while wishing they would sleep and listen to radio, cd, zune while wishing the kids would either sleep or stop having to pee every 50 miles.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Pywacket,

Paying $350 for a round trip for one is one thing. Paying $1750 so the parents and three kids can take the same trip is something else. It quickly becomes more cost-effective to take a car, assuming you already own one.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

The Traveling Wilburys,Tony Bennett,The Beatles,Glenn Miller,read, do word games then stop every two hours for gas and a walk. If the time is right we catch Democracy NOW.

cj123 5 years, 5 months ago

look out the window or read. i love long road trips! brings back memories!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

snap - do you listen to the 60s on 6 on XM?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

gootsie, I try to listen to the 60s channel on XM but I cannot stand the idiot DJs they have. I wind up flipping between 40s, 50s and 60s to listen to music instead of some some dumb git doing the ignorant DJ crap that was old-hat 40 years ago. Don't mind me, I'm bitter.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

It appears that bronze got disappeareded today. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 5 months ago

It helps to get off of the interstates and onto the smaller highways - the scenery is much more interesting. You pass through small towns and have to slow down (varying one's speed helps to break up the monotony).

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

prospector, I'm trying to teach the lemurs how to play nose flutes. It's an uphill piece of business.

jengaman 5 years, 5 months ago

I would say have a couple of drinks, but that wouldn't be PC.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

I pump my arms real fast and pretend like I'm running...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

TOB, the 40s channel has less cr@pola than the other two. The 50s and 60s channels waste a lot of time by playing cutesy station ID jingles and letting the DJs endless plug each others shows. I spend most of the time on the Classical Pops & Concert Hall channels.

tanaumaga 5 years, 5 months ago

i've got two words as well...road head.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

And here I was going to tell you that we are good friends with Phlash Phelps and he was just at our house this weekend! Oh well, I'll tell you anyway!

I do love the satellite radio. You can listen to a good station all the way even into remote Oklahoma!