Previous   Next

Would you be willing to pay higher tolls to help finance road improvements?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on July 19, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes. I travel a lot … and I think Kansas has better road conditions than most (states), and I would like to see that continue.”

“Yes, I would, because we need better roads; it would create more jobs and help the economy.”

“Absolutely; I feel like I’m doing my civic part whenever I pay the toll on I-70.”

“I would be willing, particularly if there are a lot of people who benefit from it, and if that would free up (money) for other vital services like kid’s education and health care needs.”

Comments

Catzilla 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand why our TAXES don't fund the stretches of highway that take money for tolls. I suppose it's because they are heavily used and those who use them should pay for their upkeep??

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

The new I-70 connectors off K-10 by Leavenworth, I-70 and the west leg of K-10 should all be toll roads and these together provide a loop around Lawrence thus eliminating any need for further construction of new pork barrel highway projects. Thus saving about $200,000,000 - $300,000,000(million) for us local taxpayers.

It also services: • Johnson and Douglas county traffic going to northwest Lawrence or Topeka. Or Lawrence and Topeka traffic going to JOCO. • the Eudora Business Park east of 1057. • East Hills Business Park and the southeast Lawrence industrial park. • the Lawrence airport. And it: • diverts traffic around the city. • keeps the SLT out of the wetlands. • reduces congestion for morning and afternoon commuters. • Douglas County taxpayers save millions upon millions of dollars. • Eliminates use of tax dollars. • Eliminates the need for an eastern bypass * Would not dump fast moving traffic off uncomfortably close to the congested city limits on to the K-10 speedway • allows KTA fees to pay for the highway and maintenance.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Can't the O'dude just tax the rich and take care of this?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes, because highways are different than city streets in that they are used to go from one state to another.

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

Only if the road being improved is the one for which I am paying the toll.

Why pay higher tolls for non-toll roads? Doesn't make sense. There are taxes used for road upkeep already, and if there isn't enough then do the correct thing and either raise the taxes directly relating to roads or make sacrifices and decisions about which roads will and will not be maintained.

Hey snap, got whine?

labmonkey 5 years, 5 months ago

I believe that Irish is trying to say that toll roads bring in out of state money for their upkeep... which is a good thing.

Crossfire 5 years, 5 months ago

I always pay my money to the Trolls and they seem happy to let me drive on their fine roadways. I don't think the Trolls are high but if the were a little high I would still give them a little cash. If the Troll would get really high I think it would be easy to fool them into thinking they had been paid and ride on their fine road ways for free. That would be so cool.

unclebiff 5 years, 5 months ago

i'd be willing to pay higher tolls if the government would kiss my ass.

kansasmutt 5 years, 5 months ago

NO , Not until the county can show they can stick to a budget and save money. They waste too much on crap and not what the money is intended for. Tolls are not needed smart managment is what the county needs first.The plan now sucks. If a department of the county has money toward the end of the budget years end, they have to blow it on crap or they get cut that much for the next year, This is called W A S T E . That extra money should be saved and put into a reserve fund and only used if an emergency comes up. It can also be used by another dept if need be.This could cut D G Taxes up to 40% and save litteraly billions of $$$$$$ . That is smart government, but the leaders dont want that, it makes it too easy and shows we have overpaid for decades.If the county was forced to run like a business, they would have brain freeze. It is and would be new to them and i dont think they could do it.

grimpeur 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow, mutt, if you knew how far ahead of schedule and under budget a typical county road project is completed, you'd realize how far out in left field you are. 1029, Banning corner, Lecompton bridge, farmer's turnpike, all on time or faster, all under budget. The brain freeze is your own.

Next!

kansasmutt 5 years, 5 months ago

Sure grim those repairs came in under budget.Thats great, but the add on to the lecompton repair was not needed to the east of the intersection and nor was it even in the pipeline to be done anytime soon. That money should have been saved for something needed or deleated from the budget, but N O they have to spend it or loose it. If lost it could lead to savings on taxation.They also waste when buying equipment and typical daily operations. The big picture is to N O T use all the money budgeted and try to save, not spend every dime so the next years budget has to be raised. This raising every years budget is why tax,s go up so much and the waste is terrible high. Again as for your comments, well being ahead of schedule is ok, under budget is due to the economy at this time , most contractors are working at cost to keep guys on the payroll. That is good, but has a badside when it comes down to it. No profit = bankrupt later. So, my brain is ok, yours might be a bit froze.

grimpeur 5 years, 5 months ago

BZZZZZ!

East of Lecompton was not an add-on to 1029. It was a separate project on the county CIP for at least 3 years, needed because of increased auto traffic and speeds, but bid out under current economic conditions, not during flush times.

Under budget means money saved, as you so clearly state. What is the problem? Bottom line, the projects were under budget and on or ahead of schedule. CIP projects are being completed as needed. Or at least before roads turn to crap (under the wheels of stupid single-occupancy car junkies driving stupidly oversized status symbols). Again, what's your problem with that? Or is it just a general problem with having to obsessively criticize anything the city or county does?

Why make statements that are simply wrong? Do your homework, call the county, complain that they're not spending enough or taking long enough. Let us know how that goes for ya.