Previous   Next

Are you a fan of reality television?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on July 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“Not really, except for one show, ‘America Has Talent.’”

“Not at all. I find them contrived.”

“I am not. I think it’s vacuous and a waste of time.”

“Yes, I am. … I like a lot of the judge shows.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 3 months ago

“I am not. I think it’s vacuous and a waste of time.” — Bill Macauley, retired, Rochester, Mich.

wonder if he ever passes gas???

number3of5 5 years, 3 months ago

Definitely not. They rate right along with adult cartoon shows such as Family Guy and The Simpsons. Something I would not let my dog watch, let alone my family. It is time that television got back to good quality entertainment.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

I like, What Not To Wear, and the one about how to take ten years off how you look. They pick someone who looks really bad and then give them a total makeover. They even fix teeth, and eye problems. After watching What Not To Wear I threw out a couple of things and changed how I dress. It was an eye opener. The down side is that I tend to look at everyone around me and think things, like, that shirt does not goes with those pants.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

Finally have a chance to use this.

Not just no, but Hell No!!

5 years, 3 months ago

Priscila Howe is cool and an amazing storyteller. It was nice to see a happy face on here.

classclown 5 years, 3 months ago

If you're referring to the History Channel and Discovery and shows such as Deadliest Catch, sure.

If you're referring to the tripe such as Survivor and American Idol and all other so called reality shows, then no.

dajudge 5 years, 3 months ago

I love watching live golf on tv. It's so green and nice to watch. Of course, I'd rather be playing, but with this recession hitting my billfold the way it has, I'm left with watching it on tv. At least it is suspenseful as who is going to win until the very end, and no judges doing the deciding. It's the ultimate in reality tv.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

Not really. I'll watch sports and un-reality shows, but I'm tired of reality shows. I do watch Wipeout, but since it doesn't bother showing all the obnoxious interactions that are key to reality shows, it's just a game show. That's why it's so much more entertaining.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

I forgot Deadliest Catch and Ice Trucker. What was the one about loggers? Could you call Meercats a reality show? And, I do watch WWE from time to time. I'm not quite sure what category that comes under.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes. The Sopranos is one of the best shows ever.

What, you gonna say it ain't real? Getoutaherewitdat!

Honestly, I can't stand the shows that just follow people around as they live their lives and do their jobs. Shows like the Osbornes, or Ice Trucker, or Deadliest Catch, or Kate Plus Four and John Plus Four ... can't stand 'em. I also don't think of What Not to Wear as reality tv, since when in reality does anyone just hand you $5,000 to go buy a new wardrobe? Like Irish, I love the show, don't get me wrong, but it ain't reality.

I will admit, however, that I still enjoy watching Survivor. It is the only one like it that I watch, but I don't think of it as reality tv either. There is nothing real about it. Instead, I think of it as a game show with a sociological twist since you make the contestants live together under adverse conditions. However, it is no more "real" than "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" (-- a silly title for a show since my guess is everyone wants to be a millionaire, except for billionaires).

So, I guess my answer is no, I don't care for reality tv.

alm77 5 years, 3 months ago

Used to watch "Girls Next Door" then we got rid of the satellite. I've kept up with the original three girls online though. I don't like Hef's new harem, so I probably wouldn't watch it if I could.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

On TV, I go for bug-eyed monsters popping out of holes in time/space.

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

I bet the answers would have been totally different had they asked a different demographic or even a better mix of demographics. Sheesh!