Previous   Next

Have you seen any good movies this summer?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Mass. on July 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“A rental, ‘Monsoon Wedding,’ was entertaining.”

“Yes, I saw ‘Up’ twice. It was very funny.”

“I saw ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’ and it was fantastic.”

“Yes I have; I saw ‘Up’ and it was fantastic and everyone should see it.”

Comments

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

The Brothers Bloom overrated Dead snow not bad Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince was awesome as well as Up was very good Trandformers was not very good on any screen Star Trek and Terminator not worth seein Both were awful

The_Professor 4 years, 9 months ago

Does nobody see anything that Peter Travers or Roger Ebert didn't tell them to see?

The Brothers Bloom (currently @ liberty hall) The Hurt Locker The Limits of Control Dead Snow

Not that popcorn movies aren't good (Star Trek was cool, Transformers was awful but great on the Olathe IMAX, I really liked Night/Museum 2), but honestly, Brothers Bloom and Hurt Locker are the two best movies so far this year by a huge margin.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh, Machiavelli_mania, my granddaughter and I saw Seven Pounds and cried our eyes out. But, it was a good cry. How much did you cry, or did you?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

The Bad Seed, made in 1962 it explores the question of some people just being bad from birth and no environmental influence can chance that. Rosemary's Baby, I watched it to see what Mia Farrow was wearing. I had those same dresses! Halfway though the movie she goes from long hair to very cropped. She was married to Frank Sinatra and cut it to spite him and declare her independence. Nightmare on Elm Street, just because it's rather refreshing to see someone who has no redeeming qualities and doesn't see the need to.

bronze 4 years, 9 months ago

NOTRE MUSIQUE on DVD from the library!

justfornow 4 years, 9 months ago

I just saw that Porkeys movie for the first time, gotta say best movie ever. Here chickee, chickee, chickee.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 9 months ago

Transformers.

iTunes: the curious case of ben button the day the earth stood still (new one) seven pounds

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago

ALL the films camp girl and I have seen this summer have been gems. ( Of course, we pop our own corn. )

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

The Order of the Phoenix could have been two movies also. They left out a couple of my favorite chapters. I loved the pink suit that Umbridge wore. I would dearly love to have Hermiones little bag, the one that she can hide in a sock, yet use magic to make it hold a change of clothes for everyone, a tent and bunks, etc.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

".... left stuff out from the book that was essential to the story line..."

Autie,

I think that can be said of all the books. It is just too hard to get a 600+ book into a 2 1/2 hour movie. That is why I am so happy that they are making Deathly Hallows into 2 movies. I wish they would have made Goblet of Fire into 2. The book are just so packed that it is impossible to show it all. There was a lot missing in Half Blood Prince but I think, by now, if a person is going to see the Half Blood Prince, they are more than likely familiar to the series. If they aren't, this isn't the movie to go to.

Irish, I agree with you. Snape was played beautifully. And the seen with Hagrid, Harry and Slughorn, after Harry drank the Felxi Felices was hilarious!

Dena

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

The Snape character is spot on. I much prefer the first Dumbledore. Adore Hagrid. And Crookshanks, I love the way we find out just why he chasing Scabbers around so much. I wish I had Madame Pomfrey as a doctor.

bobberboy 4 years, 9 months ago

StarTrek, UP, and Harry Potter are the must see movies this summer.

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

hey md, i ♥'ed crybaby! i need to see that again.

hmmm, movies...we recently watched a tommy lee jones (hubbahubba)movie that i don't think was big (or even at)the box office...something about he's a cop in the bayou, investigates hooker murders...or something lol...GREAT movie, even had levon helm in it...

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Autie daughter went to the midnight show of The Half Baked Prince..said it was OK but left stuff out from the book that was essential to the story line...go figure.
I ♥ fishing. cool

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

I rent movies by the bagful (literally) so I couldnt' name just one. Rewatched Mystic River, Good Morning Vietnam. I rented Crybaby. I haven't seen it yet. I love listening to John Waters talk, but I'm a bit afraid if I actually see his work it may ruin that, lol.

You all may have seen this. Morgan Freeman is going to marry his step grand daughter? And I thought I was kinky. http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/morgan-freeman-to-marry-his-step-granddaughter-486028/

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

We went to Half Blood Prince on Tuesday night. I was really good. Really gets you ready for the final 2 movies.

Went to see Land of the Lost. It was a typical Will Farrell movie. Not bad but not great either. Funnier than I expected.

Dena

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

T_O_B, What about squeezable bacon on a cucumber?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

♥☺☻♦♣♠◘•○♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼¶§▬☻↓↑∟↔▲▼ !"#

Learn something new everyday. Anyhow, 1/2 priced growlers and free cheddar ale soup couldn't get me down to Mass St. today.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

MeAndFannieLou, Hold down the "alt" key, then enter the ASCII code for the heart symbol (3) on your numeric key pad and you get this cool heart symbol.

I ♥ Netflix!

☮Ronaldo ☺

laughingtokeepfromcrying 4 years, 9 months ago

"Lust for Life" at the Public Library last Friday.
The paintings, in technicolor, were fabulous!

sgtwolverine 4 years, 9 months ago

Is that Julien Stockwell or Andy Samberg? He's on a boat!

Anyway...I don't see many movies in the theater. It's expensive, and more often than I not I leave with the feeling the movie wasn't worth the expense. But I did see Up, and it was well worth the expense. So worth it I went and saw it a second time.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Is propector getting any deals on growlers today at the sidewalk sale?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

I wanted to see "Who's nailing Palin", but it's not on Netflix ®.

bankboy119 4 years, 9 months ago

Swine, this is the "other" Pirates right? Not of the Caribbean? I've heard stories but not seen the first of the "other".

SwineFlu 4 years, 9 months ago

Pirates 2, Stagnetti's Revenge

OeraLinda 4 years, 9 months ago

Movies are a tool of the devil.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Star Trek Terminator Land of the Lost Transformers Harry Potter Night at the Musuem

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

"He Died with a Felafel in His Hand"

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Before the Omega Man, there was The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

We watched Gran Torino recently. "Get off my lawn" was not my favorite line of the movie, but I can't repeat it here. It was pretty good, but I would watch Clint in just about anything.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Watched "I am Legend"?? with Will Smith last night. It was OK but I didn't like the ending. Or at least the ending we watched. Autie daughter didn't know what I was talking about when I told her it was just a re-do of the Omega Man with Chuck Heston. We have been running at least four a week through netflix so I tend to lose track. I would have to consult with my cinema director as to what I watched lately.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

"Attack of the Heavy Metal Umlauts" with Motörhead and Blue Öyster Cult

spacehog 4 years, 9 months ago

Gran Torino. "Get off my lawn." Best movie of the year.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Best In Show and The Big Lebowski.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

Not at the theaters. Can't do that anymore, it costs too much now. For what we pay for the annual family movie with all the grandkids, I can buy a new DVR. Now it's Netflix for us. I've seen a few pretty good ones on the movie channels this month. "TEDDY: In His Own Words" was excellent! Had me re-living most of my childhood and reminded me of a few details in history that I had forgotten.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 9 months ago

Star Trek was good and we're headed to Harry Potter this weekend. Speaking of B films swineflu, I hear "Obama the Novice President" is going straight to DVD.

SwineFlu 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm waiting for Megan Fox's b-film..hint hint.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

'StarTrek' was fantastic. It greatly exceeded my expectations.