Previous   Next

Have you seen any good movies this summer?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Mass. on July 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“A rental, ‘Monsoon Wedding,’ was entertaining.”

“Yes, I saw ‘Up’ twice. It was very funny.”

“I saw ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’ and it was fantastic.”

“Yes I have; I saw ‘Up’ and it was fantastic and everyone should see it.”

Comments

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 1 month ago

Star Trek was good and we're headed to Harry Potter this weekend. Speaking of B films swineflu, I hear "Obama the Novice President" is going straight to DVD.

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

Not at the theaters. Can't do that anymore, it costs too much now. For what we pay for the annual family movie with all the grandkids, I can buy a new DVR. Now it's Netflix for us. I've seen a few pretty good ones on the movie channels this month. "TEDDY: In His Own Words" was excellent! Had me re-living most of my childhood and reminded me of a few details in history that I had forgotten.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

"Attack of the Heavy Metal Umlauts" with Motörhead and Blue Öyster Cult

Kathy Getto 5 years, 1 month ago

We watched Gran Torino recently. "Get off my lawn" was not my favorite line of the movie, but I can't repeat it here. It was pretty good, but I would watch Clint in just about anything.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Before the Omega Man, there was The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Star Trek Terminator Land of the Lost Transformers Harry Potter Night at the Musuem

bankboy119 5 years, 1 month ago

Swine, this is the "other" Pirates right? Not of the Caribbean? I've heard stories but not seen the first of the "other".

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

Is that Julien Stockwell or Andy Samberg? He's on a boat!

Anyway...I don't see many movies in the theater. It's expensive, and more often than I not I leave with the feeling the movie wasn't worth the expense. But I did see Up, and it was well worth the expense. So worth it I went and saw it a second time.

earline james 5 years, 1 month ago

"Lust for Life" at the Public Library last Friday.
The paintings, in technicolor, were fabulous!

denak 5 years, 1 month ago

We went to Half Blood Prince on Tuesday night. I was really good. Really gets you ready for the final 2 movies.

Went to see Land of the Lost. It was a typical Will Farrell movie. Not bad but not great either. Funnier than I expected.

Dena

trinity 5 years, 1 month ago

hey md, i ♥'ed crybaby! i need to see that again.

hmmm, movies...we recently watched a tommy lee jones (hubbahubba)movie that i don't think was big (or even at)the box office...something about he's a cop in the bayou, investigates hooker murders...or something lol...GREAT movie, even had levon helm in it...

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

The Snape character is spot on. I much prefer the first Dumbledore. Adore Hagrid. And Crookshanks, I love the way we find out just why he chasing Scabbers around so much. I wish I had Madame Pomfrey as a doctor.

denak 5 years, 1 month ago

".... left stuff out from the book that was essential to the story line..."

Autie,

I think that can be said of all the books. It is just too hard to get a 600+ book into a 2 1/2 hour movie. That is why I am so happy that they are making Deathly Hallows into 2 movies. I wish they would have made Goblet of Fire into 2. The book are just so packed that it is impossible to show it all. There was a lot missing in Half Blood Prince but I think, by now, if a person is going to see the Half Blood Prince, they are more than likely familiar to the series. If they aren't, this isn't the movie to go to.

Irish, I agree with you. Snape was played beautifully. And the seen with Hagrid, Harry and Slughorn, after Harry drank the Felxi Felices was hilarious!

Dena

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

The Order of the Phoenix could have been two movies also. They left out a couple of my favorite chapters. I loved the pink suit that Umbridge wore. I would dearly love to have Hermiones little bag, the one that she can hide in a sock, yet use magic to make it hold a change of clothes for everyone, a tent and bunks, etc.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago

ALL the films camp girl and I have seen this summer have been gems. ( Of course, we pop our own corn. )

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

The Bad Seed, made in 1962 it explores the question of some people just being bad from birth and no environmental influence can chance that. Rosemary's Baby, I watched it to see what Mia Farrow was wearing. I had those same dresses! Halfway though the movie she goes from long hair to very cropped. She was married to Frank Sinatra and cut it to spite him and declare her independence. Nightmare on Elm Street, just because it's rather refreshing to see someone who has no redeeming qualities and doesn't see the need to.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, Machiavelli_mania, my granddaughter and I saw Seven Pounds and cried our eyes out. But, it was a good cry. How much did you cry, or did you?

The_Professor 5 years, 1 month ago

Does nobody see anything that Peter Travers or Roger Ebert didn't tell them to see?

The Brothers Bloom (currently @ liberty hall) The Hurt Locker The Limits of Control Dead Snow

Not that popcorn movies aren't good (Star Trek was cool, Transformers was awful but great on the Olathe IMAX, I really liked Night/Museum 2), but honestly, Brothers Bloom and Hurt Locker are the two best movies so far this year by a huge margin.