Previous   Next

Have you ever bought anything from a door-to-door salesperson?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on July 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“Girl Scout cookies, Thin Mints.”

“No, I don’t recall that I have. … I probably wasn’t home when they came by.”

“Yes I have. The popcorn and Girl Scout cookies.”

“I have not, (but) I’ve come close … oil changes or something like that.”

Comments

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of salespersons. Those weight loss adds on the right hand banners we've been looking at all week, does anybody really actually believe the pictures are before and after of the same person? I think not. Especially the after picture with the white undergarments...that is just an airbrushed babe.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 9 months ago

I bought the Mormon religion from a door-to-door salesman.

pace 4 years, 9 months ago

If not a local kid for school or youth group, I don't. I ask for a copy of their city license, as required by law. This include salespersons for KC Star. They never have one. I then tell them I will call the police. A lot of people in the community worked hard to get the license requirement passed. The LPD immediatly and consistantly decided not to enforce it. The LPD should be ashamed. When I called about a magazine sales group that seemed high and looked like crap. they told me just not to buy anything or answer the door. This, as the group went down the street knocking on everyone's door. A week later there were burglaries. The LPD do not track burglaries by geographic area's. The license requirement includes a criminal background check and comes with photo ID. A lot of people worked hard to get that law , LPD isn't in the mood for that stuff. we need a citizens review board with teeth. We don't need the LPD deciding that the consumers and home owners have no rights.

SwineFlu 4 years, 9 months ago

Confession: I used to sell subscriptions to the San Francisco Chronicle when I was in my teens in the Bay Area.

puddleglum 4 years, 9 months ago

girl scout cookies are an institution in themselves....I love those things. when I was little-my mom always told me that those girl scout cookies were $20/box, and of course-we never ended up with any....fast forward to 1997, when a girlscout showed up with some thin mints for $3.00.....I was kinda mad at mom

dajudge 4 years, 9 months ago

I once bought a hook, line, and a sinker. Should've went all in and got the bobber, too.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

I have never saw such a person. I always thought of them as an urban myth, or a joke line in a tv show.

spiff 4 years, 9 months ago

Bastille Day, Schmastille Day.

It's Republic Day in Iraq suckas!

Raise the roof, winnahs!

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure the guys selling meat out of pickups are following the trade routes, so yes, beware. Don the N95 should to talk to one.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 9 months ago

You know the usual stuff from kids selling for school or club but not adult sales people. The kids only at least I know they are not out to make a buck, just toys.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

The other thing the deputies told us ( I had to give a statement, because I saw the van ripping out down our road ) is that most of these are supporting their meth/drug habit. My neighbor lives on the end of the cul-de-sac, the only house down there and we are in the sticks. These jokers pinpoint places like that, as it obviously is secluded and the chance of being nailed are low. My driveway, for example, winds up to the house, and from the road in the summer when we have full foliation, you can barely see the house if at all. This is another reason the two or three times this has happened out here, I feel it's very suspect. How much trouble is it to throw some old frozen meat into a cooler and use it for cover? Not much trouble at all.

One time, my wife and I were literally heading out the door, she answered the front door and I heard her tell the guy "No, we're leaving and in a hurry, but thanks anyway".

For a very smart woman, I told her that was about the dumbest thing you could've said-----that we were leaving that is. She didn't say much in the car for awhile---hehe!!! And I fretted about it the entire time we were gone.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

We got a local guy selling out of the truck..but he is at the farmers market on Saturday and everybody in the county knows the name..It shouldn't take a lot of leg work to find out if they are legit or not...put the double knot spy on the case....CSI ML. Not sure about the meat per se but he knows all about the spam.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

I see what you mean NB - could be a couple of things - casing the house for future reference, and selling hot meat. (Wait, did I say that?) This guy had a pickup with a freezer in the back. I don't work during some of the summer either Bob. I try to keep my eyes and ears open for our neighbors during this time. The ones that creep me out are the home security salespeople that linger in the neighborhood for several days at a time. This can't be right.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

" but I think these guys (always operating during working hours it seems) are looking to see if anyone is home, and if noone answers––they clean you out." Tom

That is what I'm thinking. My wife doesn't work during the summer and so she is home. A couple of times she said the meat selllers seemed surprised someone was home when they rang the bell.

However, one time I was home and asked to look at the meat. They opened the freezer up and the meat was from a butcher shop. I still didn't buy.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

"We had someone with a truck selling meat stop by the other day. Just where do they get the meat?" KG

We've had that racket out here in the country more than once. I have talked with other people who've had the same strange thing happen, where they claim to have "unused" or "leftover" orders they want to sell. Some others have had people stopping and knocking selling other stuff. Funny, they always have a truck or van. What's my point? My point is, beware, some may be legit, but I think these guys (always operating during working hours it seems) are looking to see if anyone is home, and if noone answers------they clean you out. This very thing happened to my neighbor. They really did a number on his house, stole a bunch of stuff. What they do is knock and have some lame excuse ready in case someone answers, "I'm lost" or whatever, and if noone comes to the door after repeated rings or knocks, the "crew" starts walking around the house and find an accessible door to crash through---this is what they did to my neighbor, breaking literally a double door, with double locks. There is always a big bull in the party. This is the explanation the deputies gave us as to how they operate the day he was broken into.

Again, beware of these "door-to-door" , not saying all are, but nowadays......??????

I've actually thought some time justg for fun, if I'm home alone and this happens, I'll grab my .38 and just sit tight and see what happens.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 9 months ago

Fifty years ago my dad sold Watkins products door-to-door to make extra money. They're still around, although no longer door to door. and do online business. The products in many ways are over priced but to this day I still think they sell the best vanilla extract you can get anywhere. In recent times the only things I have bought door-to-door have been things kids sell in school/camp/scout etc. fundraisers.

alm77 4 years, 9 months ago

Magazines - check Oil changes - check Anything the neighbor kid is selling - check

My husband used to get so upset with me when he came home to my purchases, so I started letting him answer the door only to find out he's even more of a sucker than I am. At least we don't argue about it anymore.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

I have guys in trucks with freezers in their beds trying to sell me meat. I was astonished anyone would actually buy meat out of a truck. These guys are everywhere, so I guess someone is buying.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Fete Nationale, Comrades! Happy Bastille Day. Viva le revolution.

muddfoot55 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes a Kirby vaccuum 24 years ago and it's still working!

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

I buy my doors at the lumberyard.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

preebo, If it was quite a few number of years ago, might have been my errant girlfriend. Last I heard she's selling Jesus door to door.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

We used to buy Amway that way. Then there was the Fuller Brush man.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

Lots of times. Our neighborhood school PTA has the kiddies out selling cookie dough or gift-wrapping paper and candles every year at Holiday time. I got a big card from Cici's pizza that saved us a lot of money eating out, that is until we all got tired of pizza. And I'm a sucker for the kids selling candy.

preebo 4 years, 9 months ago

Sadly enough, yes.

A number of year ago, when my wife was pregnant, she (and I by proxy) were taken in by this girl selling Kirby vacuums. An hour-and-a-half later, there we were, proud new owners of an extremely overpriced vacuum.

I pretty sure as she left our house that day, I heard her say "sucker" under her breath.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

No. My Jesus is still alright with me.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Answering the door nekkid tends to make them scream & run away.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 9 months ago

No, but I showed them my Amway products.