Previous   Next

Have you ever bought anything from a door-to-door salesperson?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on July 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“Girl Scout cookies, Thin Mints.”

“No, I don’t recall that I have. … I probably wasn’t home when they came by.”

“Yes I have. The popcorn and Girl Scout cookies.”

“I have not, (but) I’ve come close … oil changes or something like that.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

No, but I showed them my Amway products.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

Answering the door nekkid tends to make them scream & run away.

preebo 5 years ago

Sadly enough, yes.

A number of year ago, when my wife was pregnant, she (and I by proxy) were taken in by this girl selling Kirby vacuums. An hour-and-a-half later, there we were, proud new owners of an extremely overpriced vacuum.

I pretty sure as she left our house that day, I heard her say "sucker" under her breath.

grammaddy 5 years ago

Lots of times. Our neighborhood school PTA has the kiddies out selling cookie dough or gift-wrapping paper and candles every year at Holiday time. I got a big card from Cici's pizza that saved us a lot of money eating out, that is until we all got tired of pizza. And I'm a sucker for the kids selling candy.

Kathy Getto 5 years ago

We used to buy Amway that way. Then there was the Fuller Brush man.

muddfoot55 5 years ago

Yes a Kirby vaccuum 24 years ago and it's still working!

Kathy Getto 5 years ago

We had someone with a truck selling meat stop by the other day. Just where do they get the meat?

alm77 5 years ago

Magazines - check Oil changes - check Anything the neighbor kid is selling - check

My husband used to get so upset with me when he came home to my purchases, so I started letting him answer the door only to find out he's even more of a sucker than I am. At least we don't argue about it anymore.

Cait McKnelly 5 years ago

Fifty years ago my dad sold Watkins products door-to-door to make extra money. They're still around, although no longer door to door. and do online business. The products in many ways are over priced but to this day I still think they sell the best vanilla extract you can get anywhere. In recent times the only things I have bought door-to-door have been things kids sell in school/camp/scout etc. fundraisers.

Kathy Getto 5 years ago

I see what you mean NB - could be a couple of things - casing the house for future reference, and selling hot meat. (Wait, did I say that?) This guy had a pickup with a freezer in the back. I don't work during some of the summer either Bob. I try to keep my eyes and ears open for our neighbors during this time. The ones that creep me out are the home security salespeople that linger in the neighborhood for several days at a time. This can't be right.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years ago

You know the usual stuff from kids selling for school or club but not adult sales people. The kids only at least I know they are not out to make a buck, just toys.

spiff 5 years ago

Bastille Day, Schmastille Day.

It's Republic Day in Iraq suckas!

Raise the roof, winnahs!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

I have never saw such a person. I always thought of them as an urban myth, or a joke line in a tv show.

dajudge 5 years ago

I once bought a hook, line, and a sinker. Should've went all in and got the bobber, too.

puddleglum 5 years ago

girl scout cookies are an institution in themselves....I love those things. when I was little-my mom always told me that those girl scout cookies were $20/box, and of course-we never ended up with any....fast forward to 1997, when a girlscout showed up with some thin mints for $3.00.....I was kinda mad at mom

pace 5 years ago

If not a local kid for school or youth group, I don't. I ask for a copy of their city license, as required by law. This include salespersons for KC Star. They never have one. I then tell them I will call the police. A lot of people in the community worked hard to get the license requirement passed. The LPD immediatly and consistantly decided not to enforce it. The LPD should be ashamed. When I called about a magazine sales group that seemed high and looked like crap. they told me just not to buy anything or answer the door. This, as the group went down the street knocking on everyone's door. A week later there were burglaries. The LPD do not track burglaries by geographic area's. The license requirement includes a criminal background check and comes with photo ID. A lot of people worked hard to get that law , LPD isn't in the mood for that stuff. we need a citizens review board with teeth. We don't need the LPD deciding that the consumers and home owners have no rights.

mdrndgtl 5 years ago

I bought the Mormon religion from a door-to-door salesman.